I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 05:24:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Mammograms
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mammograms  (Read 1666 times)
carson

« on: April 11, 2011, 10:36:18 AM »

I had a mammogram a couple days ago. I have a central line in my right upper chest, by my clavicle. The woman doing the test taped my line upwards to my shoulder - she was careful not to pull or hurt it in any way. HOWEVER, when she flattened my boob out like a pancake but pulling down on my breast I realized she caused me some grief! Later that evening my "tunnel" was aching so I went to check it and there was a bloody scabby thing coming out of the exit site. I used a swab to pull it out (I could see it wasn't attached to anything) and it has been bothering me ever since. There wasn't any blood, but lots of aggravation in the area. Has anyone had such an experience?

2009 infection treated with Vancomycin and had permacath replaced
2009 septic infection that wouldn't go away
2007 began Nocturnal Home Hemo with Permacath
1997 began Peritoneal Dialysis
1982 had cadaver transplant
1981 diagnosed with GN2 and began Peritoneal Dialysis
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 12:15:54 PM »

Thanks for the mention of this. :grouphug; I never thought it would bother my central line. I think I will hold off doing this untl I have mine taken out in the next few months. I have a fitsula going in next month and i'm guessing my central line will have to stay in for 2-3 mos for the fistutal to mature.

I don't want to take any chances, so I will get a hold of my transplant co-ordinator and hold off on that for a few months yet.

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
WishIKnew

Alports, dialysis '07-'12,cancer'11,transplant '12

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 02:48:05 PM »

Hope everything turned out ok for you with this.  I had a mamo last Friday, but I'm on PD so there was no interference with the catheter.  Thinking of you!  Sometimes the most routine things become complicated...
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 04:03:36 PM »

I'm not the mammogram now. :bandance; :clap; I may end up just having a regular breast exam in the future instead. Suits me just fine. My central line is staying in until likely after my transplant. I am having no fitsula afterall and that makes me a happy camper :2thumbsup; :yahoo; :flower;

Basically speaking, I've never had problems with my central line. The doctor felt there was no need for a fistula if I'm having a transplant done in the next 9-12 mos.
I'm thankful and breathing a huge sigh of relief!! :thumbup;

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 03:01:52 AM »

I had my central line in the last time I had a mammogram done.  I don't remember if they did anything to move it out of the way, but I didn't have any issues with it.  I don't think it would have gone anywhere near the tunnel, judging from where the scar from the line is.  Perhaps it just depends on where your line is on your chest.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »