I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 02:55:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  New show Secret Millionare, making me cry!!!(dialysis related)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New show Secret Millionare, making me cry!!!(dialysis related)  (Read 2757 times)
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« on: March 13, 2011, 05:44:03 PM »

Im watchnig it right now, and this millionare is visiting this lady on D, who is 24, has a daughter who was born prematurely, both having obvious medical probs, its reminding me of me and my son... im bawling over here, i want to go to Detroit and give her a big hug and tell her I know how she feels, and be her friend!!! I wish I could! Maybe she is on here???
I dont know how this show goes, but i like it, they even showed some folks on the machine, our process, getting the word out!
Thank God for this, this is amazing! its on CBS i think, in America right now...

EDITED:  Moved Topic to proper section - Rerun, Moderator
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 05:45:50 AM by Rerun » Logged

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 05:44:59 PM »

oops ABC not CBS sorry!

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 07:01:27 PM »

I saw previews of that the show and wanted to watch it. (didn't see about that episode) I wasn't able too but I'm sure you can watch them if you go to ABC official website. I have to check this one out! Thanks

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 09:53:23 PM »

Hey GLM,

I saw this episode Sunday night, too, and I thought of you when the story about the young mom came up!  VERY touching, and it warmed my heart how the SM was touched by her story, as well as the cause of transportation for dialysis patients.  I thought it was a caring way to bring our issue out in the media, so to speak.  It really showed the human side to it.

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 06:09:13 AM »

My best friend, who I rarely get to see saw it, and messaged me, saying that lady reminded him of me...
Im glad shows like this are showing what we go thru, alot of people stil dont understand, I know a few people i want to smack upside the head, because they do things, like ignoring their drs pleas that if u dont do this, u will lose ur kidneys, thinking that can never happen to me... I say helooooo look at me?? I have always had health issues, and still never in a bazillion years thought id face this problem, but I am...
Any way we can get the word out, right? lol
that SM was a really seemingly nice dude, i bawled nearly the whole time! I wish more people were like that, I wish I was a millionare to do something like that!

HemoDialysis since 2007
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 07:36:13 AM »

I jumped right away to fid it on CBS  lol.  Couldnt find, but later in the day found a showing with that title,  but it didnt sound like the right one.  Is there a few on during the time it shows or is it just one theme.  I'd love to see if i could hunt it down..  thaks for sharing

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 02:06:30 PM »

I jumped right away to fid it on CBS  lol.  Couldnt find, but later in the day found a showing with that title,  but it didnt sound like the right one.  Is there a few on during the time it shows or is it just one theme.  I'd love to see if i could hunt it down..  thaks for sharing

Try http://www.abc.go.com

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 11:04:53 PM »

it was the second in the series, and played Sunday night. I recorded it and watched it Monday night.  I bawled through the whole thing too, but then, I'm a big sap. *L*

I think they're only allowed to give $100,000 for the show, but if I was that guy, I'd be back, with annual donations, and to help out like he was, driving people around and helping out the kids who were rebuilding the houses, and patrolling with the group that was trying to make the streets safer

just think of what the ride to dialysis would be like in the fancy car he was driving at the beginning of the show... *G*

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
*kana*

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 06:37:26 AM »

I watched it and it was very touching.  I don't live that far from where it was filmed....well, far enough for the neighborhood to turn from grim to a bit more upscale.   ;)

Did the young mom really use the money to go back to school?  I thought the American Kidney society gave out scholarships for renal patients?  I loved her new shoes! 

I was impressed that that guy/driver actually was on D for 20 years. 

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »