I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2024, 12:36:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Ice storm power outage, is it possible to wait it out and hook patient back up?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ice storm power outage, is it possible to wait it out and hook patient back up?  (Read 5402 times)
greg10

« on: January 10, 2011, 02:14:35 PM »

Some of you may have experienced winter storms in your location lately.  Well, we had one in the south east US overnight.  Of course the power stayed on until we were 30 minutes into a treatment, about 3 hours left.  Using our trusty APC 1500 UPS (uninterruptible power supply - battery back up), we figured enough power to do another 45 minutes to one hour) and hopefully the power would have been restored by that time.  Well, 40 minutes come and gone, the UPS is chirping away, the LED indicator on the UPS down to 2 out of 5 lights, then 1 LED.  Time to do a rinse back and we did uneventfully.

I left the cartridge in the cycler after rinse back, the cartridge is clean, some pink streaks in the lines as expected with very little blood left over, the lines are still uncontaminated.

45 minutes after that, the power was restored and seems stable as I am typing on the PC.

My question to any NxStage users out there who may venture a guess.  Is it safe or even possible to hook up to the same used cartridge and cycler again, given appropriate dose of heparin again of course, and start or continue the dialysis again?

I think I am going to get a bigger UPS next time or may be three in series.  This APC 1500 is good, but you can't expect it to last 3 hours.  BTW, the first thing I did after outage was to turn down the heater in the Pureflow, from about 14 to 5, just so that the battery power would last longer.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 02:17:23 PM by greg10 » Logged

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 07:43:21 PM »

Personally, I wouldn't risk it.  They should have given you enough extra cartridges to hook up a new one and finish the full run without cutting into your supply.  You really can't see the very inside of the filter, so who knows how much blood is really left in there.  Why take a chance on returning a blood clot?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

greg10

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 07:22:44 AM »

Personally, I wouldn't risk it.  They should have given you enough extra cartridges to hook up a new one and finish the full run without cutting into your supply.  You really can't see the very inside of the filter, so who knows how much blood is really left in there.  Why take a chance on returning a blood clot?
Thank you for your insight and I think you are probably right.  Unfortunately NxStage has been quite stingy with their cartridges.  We received 3 boxes (18 cartridges total) from the last shipment for this month.  Normally if you do 5 treatments a week, there should be about 22 treatments per month.  We will be out of cartridges by the day of the next expected delivery and I have informed NxStage of our inventory.

Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
The Lone IT from HM

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 09:17:37 AM »

Here is a solution that isn't in everyone's financial abilities to reach. http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gas-engine-generators/800-rated-watts-900-max-watts-portable-generator-66619.html

This is a little 800 watt Generator for $129 (at the moment).  You don't need it often...but, when you do, this is not that much to spend for insurance.  It is one of those things you need to remember to service and run at least once a month, so you know it will work when you need it, and you know how to start it when the time comes.

James C. Reed
Director of Information Systems
Hema Metrics LLc
Office: 801 549-9203
Mobile:801 682-7614
greg10

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 09:59:58 AM »

This is a little 800 watt Generator for $129 (at the moment).  You don't need it often...but, when you do, this is not that much to spend for insurance.  ...
Thank you and I do have a portable generator, but I did not want to leave the patient alone for too long a period of time in order for me, as the caretaker, to dig it out of the garage and set it up properly.  The UPS (battery backup) actually cost more than a small generator, but of course the advantage is that it switches the cycler over to battery power without a blink, the disadvantage is that the model APC 1500 I have will only do about 45 to 60 minutes of backup power for the NsStage.  There are large generator setups that has automatic transfer switches that can do the same thing, but it costs quite a bit more and lots of wiring installation is required, the UPS is just a simple plug in operation.

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 10:10:22 AM »

Somewhere on here is a discussion of slowly, gradually, ummmm...."fudging" the self-reported inventory.  Just a little extra here, a little extra there, and poof, you have an extra box for power emergencies.  I don't think you need an extra couple of months supply, but an extra box or two goes a long way to making you feel more secure about delivery mix-ups and other odd circumstances.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

The Lone IT from HM

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 10:19:21 AM »

so true on all counts!  I guess one needs to have the generator ready all the time for situations of unexpected power outages.  I have two Generators, and I never give it a thought to have one in place when a bad storm in expected.  Of course, our power goes out for no other reason than the transformer across the street blows a fuse and scares the hell out of us. it goes with a really BIG BOOM.  That takes as long as 90 minutes for them to come out and fix.   And I still don't bring up my Generator.

The nice thing about an UPS is that you can unplug it from the wall and into an extension cord, if you are in a poweroutage that is running long.  UPS's are not fussy about what they are plugged into and will continue to supply power while you move the plug to a different power source.

James C. Reed
Director of Information Systems
Hema Metrics LLc
Office: 801 549-9203
Mobile:801 682-7614
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 10:26:55 AM »

We have had quite a few outages here where we live and the unique thing with NxStage is that you can do a manual rinseback and dialysize him/her the very next day! You are not risking a clot or God knows what to your loved one! That is what sooooo special about NxStage.  When the pump on machine is not running for any lenght of time, you really must be careful in continuing with tx. I personally wont risk it!  I just start all over the next day!

lmunchkin

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 12:33:45 PM »

We use a regular dialysis machine instead of nxstage (it's not availabe in Canada) and we are told to order extra supplies all the time just in case of power outage or late deliveries.  We always have at least 2 weeks (more during the winter) of extra supplies on hand all the time.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 01:03:05 PM »

Greg,
I added a column to the inventory sheet that I e-mailed to NxStage. After what I had on hand on the date of the inventory, I calculated haw much I wanted them to send and put that in the last column. They were good about filling my order the way I wanted it filled. I only got flak over extra bags for those times that we came home and the SAK had had a problem.

(Where are you....I have 6 cases of cartridges that we are going to have to dispose of).

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
greg10

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 08:33:52 PM »

Hi Aleta,
  Thank you so much for your earlier PM and your posts.  I tried to PM when I first received it, but your PM was full.  So I have just now sent you an email.

I never had much luck getting NxStage to give me a sufficient inventory of cartridges that I feel comfortable.  For example even though I requested an additional week (5 cartridges) of spare inventory last month, they left me with only 2 spare cartridges.

Thank you for your kind offer and I have replied in the email.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »