I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 04:31:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Getting ready for the transplant?!!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getting ready for the transplant?!!!  (Read 5124 times)
wifedonor

« on: December 29, 2006, 06:55:13 PM »

Hello All  :D!!!

Well time is quickly approaching my the transplant to take place for my husband and I on 1/2/07.  So right now I am just getting ready by doing those last minute errands, making the phone calls list, cleaning my house (from top to bottom), etc.  Actually, a lot of people are asking I/we what can they do to help?!!!  I really don't know what to tell them. At the moment I figure that we will need people to help with the the following:  driving to appts. such as the dr. or to the pharmacy, banking, making phone calls (administrative tasks), and of course making a couple of meals until I am able to resume the cooking/cleaning.

Does anyone have any idea of what we will need since I can't seem to think of anything else right now......????  Thanks.  Happy New Year!!

Wifedonor :)

P.S.  I will be out of work for one month  :((I am a high school teacher) and my husband will be out of work for three months.  I am thinking I might need to try to take off another month to take care of him or just go with him to the doctor. 
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 09:43:10 PM »

HOW EXCITING  :2thumbsup;  thank you for the update, and with all that time off you can come and post daily right? ;)  lol,   You and your hubby just have a quick recovery and take care of each other, we will be here waiting to hear how well the both of you are doing  :2thumbsup;  I admire you for what you are doing for him and I am sure we all do ;)   Take care and lookin' forward to hearing from you soon  :2thumbsup;

A Group Hug is definetly needed here  :grouphug;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 10:06:20 PM »

Write out a shopping list now, so someone can pick things up for you.    You'll need fresh milk and fresh fruit - the sort of things you can't get ahead of time.  The dusting can be skipped for a month, but how about lining up a volunteer to do laundry the second week you are home?  You'll surely want clean jammies and sheets by then.  Delegate, delegate, delegate!  People are glad to help if you give them a specific task.

Good luck to you both!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 10:16:15 PM »

My prayers and caring thoughts are definitely with you at this time.  I look forward to your reports, keeping us up to date with how things are going.  You go, girl!!!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Foxys-Boy-Toy

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 10:24:37 PM »

The biggest help for us when we were having problems was the preparing and delivering of meals. It's amazing how such a small task frees up so much of your time. Just don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask for any help needed, because the emotional support from the spouse seems to be a huge help in recovery, and if the spouse is spending more time fretting over getting it "all" done, it can affect the emotional balance of the patient. Good Luck!

To Infinity. . .and BEYOND!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 01:57:18 AM »

Hi Wifedonor!
Wow - its coming up soon!
Have you posted on Living Donors Online? http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
they have lots of donors that can answer your questions.
There is also a list of things to prepare for the transplant:
Surgery Tips: http://www.livingdonorsonline.org/SurgeryTips.html
Common questions: http://www.livingdonorsonline.org/Questions.htm
Here are more Helpful Tips: http://www.kidney.org/transplantation/livingDonors/infoTips.cfm
I think driving is restricted so that would be the most help initially.
Good luck to you both!
Karol

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
coravh

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 05:37:48 AM »

Wonderful, wonderful!

The only thing I can add is the comment I received from a friend of mine whose husband gave her a kidney. They let the laundry pile up because it was too much work to carry it up and down the stairs. They just picked up the cleanest stuff from the piles. I'd suggest getting someone in once in a while to take care of that.

Cora
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 12:38:38 PM »

I will be out of work for one month  :((I am a high school teacher) and my husband will be out of work for three months.  I am thinking I might need to try to take off another month to take care of him or just go with him to the doctor. 

I've never had a major operation, but if you can afford to be off longer I would do it. I hope this choice brings new life, love and happiness the remainder of your lives.
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 03:34:42 PM »

With both of you recovering some help is a good idea and maybe relatives are the best people to provide it.  My transplant center had a patient living facility on their campus where the whole family could stay.  There were individual rooms and a huge kitchen with cabinet space for each family.  My wife was booked into the facility by a transplant coordinator while we were driving down so accommodations were no problem for her.  I came over after being released from the hospital and stayed a bit longer.

You will probably recover much sooner than your husband with the big thing for him being getting used to the transplant meds and going back for lots and lots of labs and exams.  When you are able to do it he'll really enjoy getting away from the hospital if it is just for a drive or maybe a little shopping.  He'll have a catheter for a while that he won't like so try to be understanding if he gets a little crabby.  I can tell you that things get better really fast after the transplant...he should be feeling better every day.
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 05:27:46 PM »

Good luck!

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 05:52:47 PM »

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to you both.
Will be thinking about you and keep you in prayes.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
scyankee

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 11:22:49 PM »

Best of luck to both of you.  Wishing you both a speedy recovery and a grand 2007!
SCYankee
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 08:15:19 AM »

I am so excited for your husband. My prayers are with you both. What an incredible start to the New Year!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
coravh

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2007, 10:20:17 AM »

I just wanted to add one more thing. If everything goes well, don't be surprised if your husband recovers faster than you. He will be going from very poor kidney function to much better kidney function and you will be losing a kidney. It will take a while for you single kidney to adjust and for your system to get used to the change. My friends both made a full recovery but she (the recipient) didn't need her afternoon naps as long as her husband did (the donor).

Cora
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2007, 01:07:59 PM »

I just wanted to add one more thing. If everything goes well, don't be surprised if your husband recovers faster than you. He will be going from very poor kidney function to much better kidney function and you will be losing a kidney. It will take a while for you single kidney to adjust and for your system to get used to the change. My friends both made a full recovery but she (the recipient) didn't need her afternoon naps as long as her husband did (the donor).

Cora

Thats a very good point, Cora.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2007, 03:19:14 PM »

Someone compared it to being pregnant--- before the baby, everyone is focused on the mom to be. Then the attention is all on the baby.  So with donation --everyone is so impressed that someone would donate and alot of attention is showered on the donor. Then, after surgery, all the focus is on the recipent.  So, don't be surprised if you feel like you are in the shadows for awhile.  Hopefully, you both will do great and be a good support for each other.   We are all excited for you husband and inspired by your generosity.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Jill D.

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2007, 08:46:18 PM »

All the best to you and your husband, wifedonor! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow.
Cora makes a very good point about recovery time for the donor and the recipient. My sister donated a kidney to me on December 5, and her recovery in the first few days was much quicker than mine (they removed her kidney laproscopically and her incisions are very small..she was out of the hospital in 2 days!) Now that we are 4 weeks out, we are both still taking it easy...you should get as much help as you can. I find that the more I bend and stretch, the more pain around my incision and the more resting I need to do. Be sure to follow lifting restrictions...nothing over 10 lbs. for 6 weeks were the instructions I received.
My sister is able to be more active at this point (she is already working out, but will wait until the 6 week point to resume teaching her aerobics classes....!) However, she still is tired and healing.
You will face extra challenges since both you and your husband will both be recovering...accept all of the help that is offered, and be sure to call on friends and family for specific things as they come up. Things already mentioned are good...meals, groceries, rides to appointments, laundry, even help with the dishes...and pushing a vacuum cleaner around is something you probably shouldn't be doing or you will be sore!
Big hug to you both!  :cuddle;

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »