I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 01:49:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Disability Update Report......??
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Disability Update Report......??  (Read 5267 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: February 19, 2011, 09:04:34 AM »

Has anyone received this from Social Security?  Wanting to know if you are still disabled?

The thing with me is I probably could work, but when things get bad with dialysis it is NOW.  You have an access problem there is no scheduling surgery 2 weeks from today it is NOW and you are probably out of service for God only knows how long.  The is not conducive to a full-time job.  Yes we could all get in a car crash and have the same thing happen, but mine is kind of assured to happen at some point.

Does my doctor say I can work?  Well, he encourages people to work but who will hire me?

How have you answered these questions??

???

jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 09:50:34 AM »

I recently filled out papers for my disability company for a 2 year review. I told them I still can't work. I'm exhausted all the time. I don't feel good. I shake so bad I have no fine motor skills. There's so much I can't do. I'm still petrified they'll tell me I have to work. I don't know what I can do. All the jobs in my field, if you can get them with everyone laid off, are 60-70 hours a week and I can't handle that. My doctor does sign the paper though to keep me on disability. My social worker says most people are approved to stay on disability.
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 10:42:17 AM »

i have been on disability for 4 years and have received 3 of those letters. fill it out, send it back and they will send you a letter continuing your disability. nothing has changed, they won't change anything.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 10:01:33 PM »

Okay, thank you.

:thumbup;

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 11:19:44 PM »

I got one just as I started school.  I was paranoid for a while that they would end mine when my doc had told me NOT to get a job.  I answered truthfully, but I just focused on what had gone wrong with the transplant and that I had one more major surgery left.  Either they called my doc and got the same "You're supposed to be recovering!" lecture from him that I did, or my description of relearning to walk with half my intestines in the wrong place was sufficient by itself!

Just answer truthfully about how you feel on D - that's generally plenty, I think.  Few people think being on D means we're capable of doing much anyhow.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

*kana*

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 12:56:50 PM »

You are disabled regardless if you can work "somedays".  It is just policy for them to send those letters every few months to everyone.  Some people do get better that are on SS disability and they are meant more for people like that.   I was in a particularly foul mood when someone from my work disability called and asked if I was still disabled.  I said, "yup, my kidneys haven't grown back yet so I guess I am".  They haven't called me again.   :) 

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 10:41:52 AM »

Has anyone received this from Social Security?  Wanting to know if you are still disabled?

The thing with me is I probably could work, but when things get bad with dialysis it is NOW.  You have an access problem there is no scheduling surgery 2 weeks from today it is NOW and you are probably out of service for God only knows how long.  The is not conducive to a full-time job.  Yes we could all get in a car crash and have the same thing happen, but mine is kind of assured to happen at some point.

Does my doctor say I can work?  Well, he encourages people to work but who will hire me?

How have you answered these questions??

???

SS is suppose to have yearly reviews.  However because of a number of factors that isnt happening.

Sure the doctor encourages people to work.  But in many cases the financial ramifications cause people to lose medical coverage in one area or another.  The system is set up screwy.

In my State, if one is on SSI, they can work and make as much money as they want and do not have to worry about medical.  However if you are on SS disability, you make over 545 and you are screwed.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »