I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 07:30:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  a question about creatinine
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: a question about creatinine  (Read 1461 times)
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« on: February 22, 2011, 06:50:21 PM »

Hubby had blood tests today for his regular dr and a creatinine and gfr were included in that.  I was kind of blown away because his creat. was 2.7 with GFR of 25.  Now i know that GFR is not considered (much anyway) once on dialysis, but what about that creatinine?  Since it was a blood only and not urine does that make a difference.  Anyway, i get to thinking that i undertand all this, and then i see this what i think looks pretty dang good, but then again, are those #'s from D or his kidneys working..  dr apt questons on thursday for sure, but still would love anyones input.

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »

Were the bloods taken before or after dialysis?

Normally bloods should be taken right before dialysis starts, as that gives an indication as to the "worst" state your body/system is in, before it is cleaned. Say he had dialysis in the morning, and those bloods were taken in the afternoon, you'd see good numbers because that would reflext that toxins etc had been cleared from his body.

That's the only reason I can think of that those numbers might look like that.

Since you mentioned the bloods were for the gp, they may not have been taken prior to D.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 07:22:13 PM »

DAng..how true.. I cant believe how i forget that RM... I was so blown away (i can check his results on the computer within hours of testing thanks to kiaser) and thought his kidneys may have just kicked back in.. But.... well, to answer you question, we had done D and within a few hours, went and gave blood.  Sooooooo, im sure theres my answer.  When i do blood tests at home (have only done once so far) we do at the start of D, and then after D and it was getting lower, so  I guess im going to have to see next draw ,(in another week) if we're getting even close to those results.  Thanks so much RM for your help..ALWAYS!  your such an amazing resource for this place, and give so much. 

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »