I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 03:26:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Worried for my father
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Worried for my father  (Read 6870 times)
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 06:49:49 PM »

Sorry to hear this has been a downturn DD. You will probably find it will be a bit of a rollercoaster for him as things settle down - it often can take time to stabalise - specially to find what his appropriate dry weight might be (in order to figure out the most appropriate amount of fluid to take off). I would say they did not take any off this last session because of that - just remove toxins as the most important thing. If he's not eating etc he's prob. losing real body weight too, which will also affect that.

I do hope things turn up soon for you both.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Dadsdecision

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2011, 05:42:06 PM »

Well last night he went to the nursing facility- I had to pick him up this morning and take him to his dialysis appt. The transportation service will take him next time- My dad was very weak- I couldnt get him out of the car and into the wheelchair to go inside- I had to run in for help-- the dialysis went fine though-then brought him back to facility- very depressing I must say. So sad to see my father unable to walk or barely move his legs- diapers, the whole 9 yards. He said if he doesnt show improvement soon, he will quit. He is big into playing poker. There is a big tournament in 3 weeks- thats his goal for right now. Anyway, just wanted to give a quick update-- Thanks again
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2011, 06:53:53 PM »

That three week goal may help him a lot.  Hopfully, it will give the dialysis a chance to clean him up and make him feel better.  I sure hope so.  What a hard time your going through.  I lost my mom last year and i have so many thoughts and feelings going through me right now knowing the pain of wanting so much and only being able to do what you can do.  I hope these weeks bring some reliefe for both of you..   :pray;

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2011, 06:58:50 PM »

Also the weakness he feels in his bones may not have anything to do per se with his kidney failure and dialysis. It may be due to some kind of bone disease or severe anaemia(which is related to the KD) which will take time to come up. Since he's in rehab their goal is obviously to get strength back into his legs and re-train him to be able to get up and walk which is a good thing. It may take some time, but hopefully he will see progress within himself and feel more confident.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Dadsdecision

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 03:35:54 AM »

Im sorry about your mom boswife- I lost my mom 10 years ago... its never an easy thing to go through.... I miss her like crazy!

Thanks Richard- I was going to ask about his weakness and not being able to get up... if it was from kidneys or something else- he did have anemia a few times and was on high doses of iron and procrit before. Anyway, today the physical therapist will assess him and I will go visit him this afternoon and see whats up.... thanks again  :)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »