I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2024, 11:16:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Cheers From Vancouver
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cheers From Vancouver  (Read 3126 times)
Kash597

« on: February 06, 2011, 06:02:57 PM »

Hi Guys,
My name is Kash, I have been reading IHD for a while now as a guest but then i decided to join and share a bit of my story aswell. Well im not a dialysis patient but my fiance is, and let me tell you as much as i see and try to feel and be there, but it is still unbelievably not comparable with the pain and suffering you guys are going through trying to fight it.

My fiance lives in Calgary and i'm in Vancouver. We got separated because of her work and my school (UBC). it was a good idea since she was making good money so we could save some until i finish my school. Then in July she caught a very bad cold and we found out that its called "swine flu" ! She was sick for a week or so and according to doctors ( after some numerous tests and shots) everything was dealt with and under control...pheww boy were we happy that was over ! she never had any health issues nothing what so ever. then she got sick again in Aug with a bad ache in the back area ! so we're off to the doctors ! After a couple of tests (again!) here goes the doctor saying both of her kidneys are infected and one of them is almost dead ! we were shocked why they couldn't diagnose it before... i mean we were at the Doctors every week and she had taken every tests you can imagine, Blood, urine, etc.

I'm Sure most of you still remember how you felt when you heard sucha news...well we were no better. after a couple of visits the Doctor suggested that if we take one of the kidneys out the other one witch is not badly infected would power up and everything is going to be fine... I mean he was so confident and didn't care at all. it was like its just a simple headache to him I almost thought i was a fool crying my eyes out for that past days and nights. long story short, we had the surgery and what do you know, it hasn't worked at all. Now hes talking about dialysis and We don't have any other choices do we? Her creatinine level was 8 at that time.

So she started dialysis in September and had done it three times a week since...Her creatinine level has come down to around 3.6 and overall kidney function has improved from 15 to 23 percent.the Doctor says we could stop dialysis when it reaches 26 but i dont know if i can trust him after all this. during the proses she has got kidney stones and liver stones aswell. I dont know whats going to happen next but i'm trying not to loose my hope.

I hope I didn't talk too much. I tried to be as short as possible. I have read some of your stories and boy Once again I hope every single one of you guys fight it off, feel better and the damn doctors can find a real solution for kidney disease.
Cheers.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 06:32:11 PM »

WoW!  and  :welcomesign;  What a road you have been down!  And.......... you didnt talk to much!  It's really good to get an introduction like yours.  I am wife cargiver to hubby, and it's a real team thing this dialysis.  I really want to respond correctly to your post, but im super tired tonight so will just give you my best welcome, and please come often and vent, and ask all you can.  Lots of great info here..  blessings

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 11:39:16 PM »

G'day kash and  :welcomesign;.

Galvo
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 04:13:47 AM »

Hi Kash and welcome to IHD.   :welcomesign; Glad you came out of the shadows to join in.   We have several Canadians as members here so you'll feel right at home.  How blessed your fiance' is to have you with her through this.  As Boswife said, it really is a team event.  I also am a caregiver to my hubby.   It at times is a full time job just being quality control for the medical professionals.  Great intro and I hope to see you on the boards. 

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 08:53:03 AM »

:welcomesign; Kash!  How awful for it to be so sudden.  My Blokey (husband) is the one on dialysis; it's horrid to have to watch our loved ones go through such pain and whatnot, eh?  I really hope the doc is right and that things work out for your fiancee.

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Kash597

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 10:56:31 AM »

Thank you Guys making me feel welcomed. One of the best decisions i have made for a while to join IHD. Its a great feeling to see you are not alone, and there are such wonderful people in here with kind hearts willing to help each other and take some of you pain away is just unbelievable.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 11:11:41 AM »

Hello Kash and welcome to IHD.  You are doing the right thing by reading up on dialysis and what all to look for and ask.  The doctors hate it when we know what we are talking about.  You guys have had a rough road.  It is possible for her kidney function to return to a level where she will be off dialysis for a time.....  But, you need to try to get her listed for a transplant. 

So glad you joined.

Rerun, Moderator          :welcomesign;

Kash597

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 12:06:20 PM »

It is possible for her kidney function to return to a level where she will be off dialysis for a time.....  But, you need to try to get her listed for a transplant. 

So glad you joined.

Rerun, Moderator          :welcomesign;

Hi Rerun,
Thank you for your reply. I personally hope you are not right (u possibly a doctor? lol ) although you might be right.  But why wont they say so ? he says were not allowed to list her till her kidney function has gone down under 15% ! its like " i can't help you untill you're almost dead !".  She is from IRAN and as you probably know she could have gotten her transplant within a week in there... so i mean why go through all this if its not going to work ? we have spent every penny we had saved. Once i thought i have more money in may bank than my proff at school, now i have hard time paying rent lol !
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 02:32:59 PM »

Welcome Kash,  You wrote a very informative intro.  What an incredible road you two have been on.  I am so sorry that your girlfriend has had such a rough time.  The swine flu can be very bad for some people.   You will never be alone again -- you now have us  :grouphug;   There is great information here, but the support is unbelievable.  It is comforting to talk to others who completely understand kidney failure.  It is a very hard disease for the whole family.   Keep reading, learning and asking questions.  I look forward to reading more of your posts.   Welcome to IHD   

paris, Moderator

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 04:52:51 PM »

Welcome to the forum! Glad to meet a fellow Canadian! :canadaflag;

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 05:02:22 PM »

hi kash have you considered getting another medical opinion and switching docs? sounds like your doc is to cavalier about taking peoples' kidneys out!

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »