I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 07:35:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  New member from Long Beach, CA
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New member from Long Beach, CA  (Read 2298 times)
BillSharp

rock 'n roll will never die

« on: February 05, 2011, 09:57:52 AM »

Hi. I'm Bill Sharp. I'm 72 years old and I've had kidney disease since I was age 14. I've passed over 1,500 stones. I have jars of them. I had my 1st transplant in 1989, it lasted for 20 years, and now I'm on hemodialysis, trying to find a donor. I hate dialysis but am pleased with everyone at my center; very nice people and very helpful and considerate.

Started passing stones at age 14 (Cystinuria)
Transplant in 1989 at age 50
Transplant failed in 2009 at age 70
Hemo and transplant list
Cadaver Transplant 7/1/2011 at age 72 (zero mismatch)
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 09:23:48 AM »

Hi, Bill, and welcome to the group.  I live in Carson, next city over from you.  My friend and I run a renal support group on the third Saturday of the month, at Kaiser Belllflower.  You don't have to be a Kaiser member to attend.  If you'd like more info, send me a message and I'll respond.  Glad you found us!
BillSharp

rock 'n roll will never die

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 10:31:11 AM »

Thanks for the welcome. I've found several topics that I've commented on. About the support group: I have vision problems that affect my driving, so I confine myself to local streets and roads; no driving after sundown or on freeways. But I wish your support group well. Do you have a lot of members? Are they all D patients or are they a mix?

Started passing stones at age 14 (Cystinuria)
Transplant in 1989 at age 50
Transplant failed in 2009 at age 70
Hemo and transplant list
Cadaver Transplant 7/1/2011 at age 72 (zero mismatch)
greg10

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 05:16:45 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Bill Sharp.  Your distinguish picture reminded me of the late character actor Logan Ramsey, also of Long Beach, California.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan_Ramsey

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 04:08:33 AM »

G'day Bill and  :welcomesign;.

Galvo
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 04:15:39 AM »

Hi Bill and welcome.   :welcomesign;  I'm sure with all your experiences you'll have some great input for us.   :welcomesign;

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 11:14:45 AM »

Hi Bill, I'm so glad you found us.  You have been dealing with this for a long time!  My transplant lasted 17 years and I feel so blessed to have had that time.  I'm back on Nocturnal in center Hemo.  It works!  Whatever......  right?

:welcomesign;

Rerun, Moderator     

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 02:36:46 PM »

Welcome Bill.  So glad you found us.  I can see you are already making yourself at home.   :2thumbsup;    20 years?  That is a great run with the transplant.  I am 5 months post, so I love to hear about long lasting transplants.  Gives me great hope.   I hope a new donor is in your near future.  Looking forward to reading more posts from you.   Welcome to IHD

paris, Moderator

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 03:51:56 PM »

Welcome to IHD Bill, from one Californian to another. I am in Riverside, not all that far. Glad you found us and we look forward to hearing from you again. Wow, 20 years is a good amount of time to keep your TX. Oh, and, I am 72 also.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »