I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 01:44:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  device for the creation of tunnel tracks for buttonhole cannulation
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: device for the creation of tunnel tracks for buttonhole cannulation  (Read 2528 times)
natnnnat
Elite Member

« on: January 24, 2011, 11:08:06 PM »

MARTICORENA, R. M., HUNTER, J., MACLEOD, S., PETERSHOFER, E., KASHANI, M., DE LA CRUZ, J., COOK, R., DACOIRIS, N., MCFARLANE, P. A., GOLDSTEIN, M. B. and DONNELLY, S. M. , Use of the BioHole™ device for the creation of tunnel tracks for buttonhole cannulation of fistula for hemodialysis. Hemodialysis International, no. doi: 10.1111/j.1542-4758.2010.00506.x

Abstract

Buttonhole cannulation is a method of cannulation of native arteriovenous fistulae traditionally practiced by self-cannulators. At St Michael's Hospital, this method has been modified to allow its use in problematic fistulae by multiple cannulators. In a busy dialysis unit, the need for a few specific cannulators to establish the tunnel tracks in combination with the variable dialysis schedules creates logistical challenges. A new method of creating tunnel tracks with the use of the BioHole™ device was evaluated. Buttonhole tracks were created in 12 patients using a peg of polycarbonated material with a holder (BioHole™ kit). The peg was inserted into the path left by the hemodialysis sharp needle following the index cannulation. Four of the 12 patients had an alternate access. Buttonhole tracks were successfully created in all the patients, albeit in 2 patients, the initial attempt to establish buttonhole tracks was aborted due to complications and the procedure was rescheduled. Compared with the modified buttonhole technique, pain on cannulation following track creation was significantly less in the BioHole™ group (P<0.001). Ease of cannulation was significantly improved in the BioHole™ group (P<0.05) when compared with that in thrice-weekly patients using the modified buttonhole technique. Hemostasis postdialysis did not differ between the study groups. The use of the BioHole™ device is effective in the creation of tunnel tracks for buttonhole cannulation, is associated with less pain, and simplifies the logistics of arranging patient and nurses' schedules.

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
M3Riddler

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 04:21:07 AM »

I am hearing more and more of such devices being used to create buttonholes. I am also hearing that the devices are not being used due to the cost of them. Anything that can make the creating of buttonholes and self cannulation easier is always a plus. Its just unfortunate that it is not widely used....

///M3R

Admin of Dialysis Discussion Uncensored on Facebook  

Might as well smile

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 05:20:33 AM »

I was advised NOT to use these as they can encourage infection.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
greg10

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 10:13:15 AM »

Greg Collette at BigDandMe blog has some pictures and experience using this:

http://bigdandme.wordpress.com/2010/11/26/dialysis-buttons-for-your-buttonhole/

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 02:46:28 PM »

Greg10   your always a wealth of infomation......  thx again....

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »