I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 04:30:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  pool donation scheme
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: pool donation scheme  (Read 1538 times)
sandra3105

« on: January 24, 2011, 07:23:58 AM »

hi, just a little background - failing kidneys from birth finally went on dialysis 2 years ago ( PD cycler 8 hrs per night ) - my brother tried to donate but was not a match and my daughter found out today she is also not a match 3 out of 6. they have offered her to choice to enter the pool donation scheme that has been going in UK since 2007 - just wondering if anyone has been through this or their thoughts on it ? i was not so sure but reading up on it and like she says it just like getting the longer bus route home you eventually get there one way or another.

APD since dec 08 kidney disease since childhood.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 07:31:36 PM »

That sounds like the Paired Donor Exchange Program here in Canada.  They set up chains of matches from around the country once a month.  Sometimes it's just 2 who swap, sometimes it's 4 or 5.  My mother and I are getting ready to sign up with the program. She needs to be assessed to make sure she has no other health issues first.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 07:34:48 PM »

They have started that in the United States also.  Very Successful from what I've read.

Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 12:00:09 AM »

Not a match?  Sounds like the anti-gens are not 6/6, that is not a problem these days...  Was your blood type compatible and what were the results of the cross-match?  My sister is a 0/6 and my brother a 3/6 with the anti-gens, but both were considered matches because of the compatible blood types and the cross-matching results were negative (which is good).

The chain donations seem to be a very good thing, I'd check into it and get on board if you can.  Good luck! 

Preemptive transplant recipient, living donor (brother)- March 2011
lawphi

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 01:30:23 PM »

We have been participating in a donor swap program since 2008 and the national trial program since October.  Not familiar with how they work in the UK, but I would strongly consider it. 

My husband received a cadaver 4/6 kidney initially and had thirteen years of success.  We would accept a 3/6 any day of the week.  I am 1/6 (1 DR mismatch), negative crossmatch, but share a DR with the first donor. 

Girl meets boy with transplant, falls in love and then micromanages her way through the transplant and dialysis industry. Three years, two transplant centers and one NxStage machine later, boy gets a kidney at Johns Hopkins through a paired exchange two months after evaluation.  Donated kidney in June and went back to work after ten days.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »