I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2024, 01:37:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  My first ever post!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My first ever post!  (Read 2009 times)
enzosmom

« on: January 20, 2011, 07:55:43 PM »

Hi everyone. Let me first off begin with an apology if I am not getting this right. I have limited experience with anything computer related unless it is my emails. I am not a dialysis patient, but my father is, and I am hoping to gain some insight into what his life has become. He is a WWII veteran and was diagnosed with kidney disease one year ago. He has been on dialysis for one year and it has been agonizing to see how his life has changed. We do not know how the disease began; he has no history of high blood pressure or diabetes. Please let me know if it is appropriate for me to access this site. If there is a better venue I am open to suggestions. My goal through this is to try to help my dad through knowledge I might gather from here. Thanks for your help.
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 11:40:21 PM »

hello Enzosmom and you are most certainly welcome here at IHD.  I am caregiver to my hubby who has been on dialysis since 2007.  There are patients, caregivers, medical professionals and others here who have some connection to renal disease.  Read and learn, rant and vent or just have a little fun with us.  Bless you for being there for your dad, and bless him for his service to our country.
 :welcomesign;

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 03:29:13 AM »

G'day enzosmom and  :welcomesign;.

Galvo
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 04:31:23 AM »

Welcome to our community!  You have come to just the right place for information, support and encouragement.  We even have a section especially for caregivers and loved ones.  I was born just after WWII and appreciate the freedom that people like your father fought for.   You will soon come to consider this your new family :grouphug; - wonderful group of sharing and caring people.  Just keep reading and keep posting, so we can know how your father is doing.  Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Bajanne, Moderator

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 04:47:33 AM »

:welcomesign; and  :welcomesign; again.  Your being here is extremely "appropriate" and I hope that you will find useful information as well as support to help you come to grips with your Dad's kidney disease.  This site is valued and cherished by so many and it is always lovely to greet new people who seek to understand just what is involved for those of us who must live with ESRD and all its complications.  I'm sorry that your Dad and your family must be part of the renal community but I thank you for your support and caring, on behalf of your Dad.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 05:03:38 AM »

enzosmom, welcome to the site, you have made a good decision to be here. Ask  lots of questions, there is always some one on here that will know the answers. It is not easy being a career.Can you get your Dad to join in as well?  :welcomesign;
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 05:26:40 AM »

Hello....

You're VERY welcome!..... You'll find us a friendly, helpful bunch, but the others aren't as quiet, shy, and retiring as I am!... What are you horrible lot laughing at???... I AM quiet!... LOL!!!!....

Love to all...

Darth...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 08:50:14 AM »

Welcome to the group.  Everyone is welcome here - newly diagnosed, patients already on dialysis of any kind, transplantees, etc.  I agree, your life does change, and some of those changes take getting used to.  Tell us more about your dad and someone here is bound to have been there, done that.  Glad you joined!
enzosmom

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 11:22:44 AM »

:thx;  Thank you, everybody, for such a warm welcome. My dad is a very healthy 84 year old, who retired from working full time when he was 82. He has never taken meds for anything, and now does only related to the dialysis. The first doctor he saw at the dialysis clinic in a small town near their home told him during his first visit there that he was "too old" for a transplant. I am wondering if anyone knows how old a transplant patient can be... is it based on current health, past health, age? I understand that he would probably not live long enough to receive one from the transplant list, but he has family members willing to donate.  Any success stories out there on elderly patients?
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 06:18:12 PM »

welcome!

yes there is an age limit to be on the list, but if he has a living donor and is in good stable health you may find a center that will transplant him. :)

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 06:53:41 PM »

What is the age limit? I have not heard that there is one, I am pretty sure it is on a case by case basis with no set age. This is obviously a huge debate point in this field.

In the past few years, they have really refined the list, with a few special categories including extended criteria (EC). I have a strong suspicion your father could get on the list for one of those kidneys - a kidney that may have a great chance of lasting a few years, but would not be a good choice for a 20-year-old transplant patient. Also, the wait is usually much shorter for EC kidneys. I think this is all part of the compromise that was struck when people wanted to impose age limits and point systems.

I know someone who is at least in his mid-70s who just had a transplant. This is actually not the nicest story because he was, um - sort of a mean old bastard - but as far as I know, he's doing fine physically. He had a live donor. It's a whole soap opera of a story, and I was going to post about it once I got more information from my mother. Right now, the only point I want to make is that he seems to have come through the process fine.

Oh, and of course, :welcomesign; to IHD. Hope you find all of the information and support you need here!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »