I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 03:26:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  My dialysis center's complaint about IHD.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My dialysis center's complaint about IHD.com  (Read 14942 times)
brandi1leigh

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2011, 10:48:01 PM »

I have to admit that the name of the site and the "die-alysis" line made me hesitate joining. In fact, I lurked around for a while and read a lot of threads before I ever registered or posted anything. I understand where the name came from and I think it's accurate, but I can also understand how overworked social workers might not want to spend the time to investigate. I can also understand units being wary of sending patients to a forum board, any forum board. The possibility exists for anyone to post anything and the units don't want to take responsibility for someone reading something that isn't true and verified. It's the same principle that no teacher I know would send a kid to get their facts from Wikipedia. Yes, the majority of the info is correct, but it's not verified and anyone can say anything. My unit is mostly elderly patients who I don't think are online that much...
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2011, 02:19:00 AM »

Unfortunately these days a lot of providers and corporate entities have to protect themselves in this way because people can and do sue for stuff like that - as ridiculous as it seems.

For this reason I add to the bottom of my "signature" That my advise is not medical advise but just an opion. I am covering my  :sir ken; here.  :rofl;

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2011, 03:58:35 AM »

Well all i can say is when i found the site and it was called I HATE DIALYSIS i thought  :yahoo;  more people like me !!!!

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2011, 04:36:11 AM »

I'll fess up to something that only Meinuk knows - Epoman banned me, not under my name but under a screen name I first signed up with because I wasn't sure I wanted to participate - I just looked it was August 09, 2005. Anyway I came back, as myself and introduced myself (I had registered before he started the you must introduce yourself rule but he didn't see it that way ::) )  it turned out I had registered and mostly looked in on IHD from work so I could never look at IHD from work until recently. You'd have to be a premium member to see any of my posts so let's see who figures it out first - no helping Meinuk.
Bill, were you... (PMed, so as not to ruin it... if I am right)

Any way how about a URL from Monty Python?
DialysisYourMotherWasAHamsterAndYourFatherSmeltOfElderberries.com
:clap;

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
Meinuk

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2011, 05:05:34 AM »

no helping Meinuk.

No worries Peckham, your secret is safe with me.

And what a good way to boost Premium Memberships.

Now, for my opinion on the name... Yes, it is can be considered a barrier BUT I look at is as more of a filter.  As Kickstart noted, we embraced the name - ultimately.  The fact is, we are here, the industry and the Networks know about us.  Slowly, individual clinics will know about us, and we aren't going anywhere.

ALL advice should be taken with regard to the source.  Just as every individual on dialysis and with a transplant wants to be treated individually, we all have distinct needs. Medically and emotionally. The internet and its value as a peer support venue is being taken more and more seriously. (Just look at our Member's thesis in Australia.  (sorry, I am blanking on your name))

There are great sources for formal CKD education like www.kidneyschool.org   - which I think should be mandatory for anyone on the internet with CKD (and those who love them).

And oh so many others.  I'll plug DSEN now with Bill's big compilation of knowledge and resource links: 

http://www.billpeckham.com/from_the_sharp_end_of_the/ckd-links-and-resources.html

I see IHD as being peer to peer support, (and invaluable at that - the best on the web IMHO).  I also see IHD as an unedited,uncensored REAL picture of what is going on in the trenches (although just a microcosm).

I look at what DaVita has done with their new "Social Networking" and I laugh.  I wish that they would spend that time and effort on training their staff to be more compassionate, better educated about dialysis modalities and safer.  But that is just me keeping Epoman's cynicism when it comes to DaVita's on line message boards alive and well. Anything that is corporate sponsored is bound to be tainted by corporate ethics and shareholder (NOT PATIENT) responsibilities.

That being said, I will tell you that I have day dreamed about IHD being a non-profit, and protecting itself as a 501(c).  Is it weird that I just want to form a board of directors and put Zach on it??? Give Karol a corner office, and make Rerun the head of the party planning committee? Obviously KitKatz would run HR(isn't that what the big stick is for?), and Paris would be Karol's second in Command.  Sluff would be that partner who is always away on secret business, and Richard Mel would be the overseas director of marketing; Bjanne would handle all of the travel arrangements, and serve as interpreter, as for EpoFriend, well, I'd just give him reign over all of South America... yes, I daydream a lot.

Kidding aside, my fear is that we would risk going the way of AAKP and all the other splinter CKD organizations out there (and believe me, they are splintered).  I fear that the minute that IHD starts "Marketing" itself, it will lose itself.

We have had some "out" industry employees here telling us what is right and wrong (in some cases they were wrong).  We also have some semi-undercover industry employees posting here, and they have joined in the camaraderie. Most of all, for any that find IHD, and read, I think that their CKD journey is made a bit easier knowing that they are understood, if they take part or not.  I am MUCH more of a lurker than poster.  In the four years that I have been here, I have posted under 700 posts. So many others participate more than I do, but I have received so much more than I could ever return, and I see that as that as the most amazing gift that Epoman could have given us, a forum to share and help each other along the way.

I say keep the name as it is.  Maybe lose the Die-Lysis. Call it IHD when you talk about it, and people will find us.  You did.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 06:05:24 AM by Meinuk » Logged

Research Dialysis Units:  http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

52 with PKD
deceased donor transplant 11/2/08
nxstage 10/07 - 11/08;  30LS/S; 20LT/W/R  @450
temp. permcath:  inserted 5/07 - removed 7/19/07
in-center hemo:  m/w/f 1/12/07
list: 6/05
a/v fistula: 5/05
NxStage training diary post (10/07):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0
Newspaper article: Me dialyzing alone:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0
Transplant post 11/08):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10893.msg187492#msg187492
Fistula removal post (7/10): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18735.msg324217#msg324217
Post Transplant Skin Cancer (2/14): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30659.msg476547#msg476547

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of thought.” - Henri Poincare
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2011, 07:32:44 AM »

I'll fess up to something that only Meinuk knows - Epoman banned me, not under my name but under a screen name I first signed up with because I wasn't sure I wanted to participate - I just looked it was August 09, 2005. Anyway I came back, as myself and introduced myself (I had registered before he started the you must introduce yourself rule but he didn't see it that way ::) )  it turned out I had registered and mostly looked in on IHD from work so I could never look at IHD from work until recently. You'd have to be a premium member to see any of my posts so let's see who figures it out first - no helping Meinuk.
Bill, were you... (PMed, so as not to ruin it... if I am right)

Any way how about a URL from Monty Python?
DialysisYourMotherWasAHamsterAndYourFatherSmeltOfElderberries.com
:clap;

Aharris got it :beer1;

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2011, 09:23:33 AM »

Facebook link  (thanks Karol)

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=46205402133

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2011, 01:49:59 PM »

These website names show you what happens when URLs are not thought out

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2011, 04:12:03 PM »

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2011, 04:41:20 PM »

Those were hilarious!!  :rofl;

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2011, 05:49:30 PM »

no helping Meinuk.

No worries Peckham, your secret is safe with me.

And what a good way to boost Premium Memberships.

Now, for my opinion on the name... Yes, it is can be considered a barrier BUT I look at is as more of a filter.  As Kickstart noted, we embraced the name - ultimately.  The fact is, we are here, the industry and the Networks know about us.  Slowly, individual clinics will know about us, and we aren't going anywhere.

ALL advice should be taken with regard to the source.  Just as every individual on dialysis and with a transplant wants to be treated individually, we all have distinct needs. Medically and emotionally. The internet and its value as a peer support venue is being taken more and more seriously. (Just look at our Member's thesis in Australia.  (sorry, I am blanking on your name))

There are great sources for formal CKD education like www.kidneyschool.org   - which I think should be mandatory for anyone on the internet with CKD (and those who love them).

And oh so many others.  I'll plug DSEN now with Bill's big compilation of knowledge and resource links: 

http://www.billpeckham.com/from_the_sharp_end_of_the/ckd-links-and-resources.html

I see IHD as being peer to peer support, (and invaluable at that - the best on the web IMHO).  I also see IHD as an unedited,uncensored REAL picture of what is going on in the trenches (although just a microcosm).

I look at what DaVita has done with their new "Social Networking" and I laugh.  I wish that they would spend that time and effort on training their staff to be more compassionate, better educated about dialysis modalities and safer.  But that is just me keeping Epoman's cynicism when it comes to DaVita's on line message boards alive and well. Anything that is corporate sponsored is bound to be tainted by corporate ethics and shareholder (NOT PATIENT) responsibilities.

That being said, I will tell you that I have day dreamed about IHD being a non-profit, and protecting itself as a 501(c).  Is it weird that I just want to form a board of directors and put Zach on it??? Give Karol a corner office, and make Rerun the head of the party planning committee? Obviously KitKatz would run HR(isn't that what the big stick is for?), and Paris would be Karol's second in Command.  Sluff would be that partner who is always away on secret business, and Richard Mel would be the overseas director of marketing; Bjanne would handle all of the travel arrangements, and serve as interpreter, as for EpoFriend, well, I'd just give him reign over all of South America... yes, I daydream a lot.

Kidding aside, my fear is that we would risk going the way of AAKP and all the other splinter CKD organizations out there (and believe me, they are splintered).  I fear that the minute that IHD starts "Marketing" itself, it will lose itself.

We have had some "out" industry employees here telling us what is right and wrong (in some cases they were wrong).  We also have some semi-undercover industry employees posting here, and they have joined in the camaraderie. Most of all, for any that find IHD, and read, I think that their CKD journey is made a bit easier knowing that they are understood, if they take part or not.  I am MUCH more of a lurker than poster.  In the four years that I have been here, I have posted under 700 posts. So many others participate more than I do, but I have received so much more than I could ever return, and I see that as that as the most amazing gift that Epoman could have given us, a forum to share and help each other along the way.

I say keep the name as it is.  Maybe lose the Die-Lysis. Call it IHD when you talk about it, and people will find us.  You did.

In one of my earliest conversations in the chatroom with Epoman I suggested he make IHD a non-profit, to help cover the costs and also so he could create new resources for patients, rather than having patients pay for Premium memberships. He was furious. I didn't understand why he got so mad. The room got silent except for me and him. First, he didn't really want input from someone so new to the site  :oops; and he also felt that between Premium memberships and t-shirt and merchandise sales he could keep IHD going, without advertisers or donors. He wanted members to be free to say what they wanted, to rant or share without worrying about alienating a sponsor or corporation. That's why he created IHD. We are still doing it that way and it works pretty well. That being said, I would love to have more money to organize IHD meet-ups all over the world. Sluff and I have talked of someday having an emergency fund to help members who are struggling to pay for meds or treatment. It would be cool to give our moderators a bonus someday, to thank them for their endless hours of volunteer time. And I wish we made more, because Epoman's widow Trina still has to kick in cash for upgrades and software problems. But I am proud to say each year it gets better, and that's thanks to our Premium Members and those of you who buy from our online store!
I love your vision though Meinuk! And by the way, I do have a corner office - it's right off my diningroom!  :rofl;
Personally, I never liked DIE-ALYSIS because I did not want to imagine Jenna dying. But I understand where Epoman was coming from - he had a wicked sense of humor. We'll discuss whether it should stay or go with our admin team. Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

okarol/admin

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2011, 08:49:54 AM »

I don't think I've ever noticed the DIE-lysis in the tag-line at the top until this thread brought it to my attention.  I really must start paying more attention to things ...

;D

And for what it's worth, I like 'I Hate Dialysis' ... it's honest and to the point, and it was partly what drew me in to take a gander. 

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »