I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2024, 10:39:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  DNR - Do Not Resuscitate
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DNR - Do Not Resuscitate  (Read 4296 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: December 19, 2005, 11:13:46 PM »

In the United States, or at least California, we have to sign a document that orders the Dialysis Unit or Doctors or Ambulance Personnel to try like hell to keep us alive or a DNR... do not resuscitate... "Let me die."

I have a DNR order.  I don't want to live like this.  But, until the Lord decides to take me home, I'm going to be here and live each day to the fullest.  But, if my heart stops, that's my sign!! :-*   I don't want shocked back into existence to live like this some more. 

This may be hard for some of you to talk about, but what do you have on file?

If it is not a requirement where you live, what is your opinion?

"Merry Christmas"    8)

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 11:53:29 PM »

In the United States, or at least California, we have to sign a document that orders the Dialysis Unit or Doctors or Ambulance Personnel to try like hell to keep us alive or a DNR... do not resuscitate... "Let me die."

I have a DNR order.  I don't want to live like this.  But, until the Lord decides to take me home, I'm going to be here and live each day to the fullest.  But, if my heart stops, that's my sign!! :-*   I don't want shocked back into existence to live like this some more. 

This may be hard for some of you to talk about, but what do you have on file?

If it is not a requirement where you live, what is your opinion?

"Merry Christmas"    8)

I HAD a DNR order but I changed my mind. I need to stick around to finish raising my son, I have 10 more years to go then I am done. Once he is off to college I am done with dialysis.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
LifeOnHold

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 06:10:12 AM »

I thought about getting a DNR, but that's tricky when you're on dialysis-- I wouldn't want them to abandon everything just because my pressure went really low-- I've come back from 50/30.

Although if I was in the hospital after an accident and I never regained consciousness, I don't think I'd want to live like that.

I have mitral valve replacement surgery coming up, so what I might do is write down my wishes: Three days on life-support-- if I don't wake up in 3 days, shut everything off.  My boyfriend already knows how I feel, I just need to make sure my sister and mother know, also.  I'm pretty sure my mother would insist on keeping me on a vent out of guilt-- and why should I hang around like that just because SHE can't face facts?

Still Kicking Deaths Ass
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 07:26:10 PM »

They had to drag me back on dialysis after 17 years of freedom.  I wouldn't have gone back on, but it was like taking for Fricken ever to die.  My kidney was just dragging me along.  I was praying every night to not wake up.  I had to go through fistula surgery again and then the hickman and I knew what life was like on dialysis.  I have to admit it is better than it was 20 years ago, but I do hate it.

So, if I drop so low that they have to shock me........ for get it.    :P

Jamie

What's life with out alittle magic?

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 08:04:24 PM »

Dear fellow renal readers,

I had to sign the same papers here in Canada. (I'm not feeling sorry for my self) but after living this way of life since the age of five I had decided that if any thing happened to me on the machine that would be it for me.
   Many of my closest friends will know what to do when my time comes. The way the treatments have been going it dose seem pretty close but only the "BIG" man will decide when that will be.......Jamie-G

www.jamiegmagic.com

What's life with out a little magic?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »