I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 10:20:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  My Trip to Germany
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Trip to Germany  (Read 2169 times)
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« on: August 01, 2011, 08:00:12 PM »

I figured that I would share my trip as a dialysis patient.

Hey well I am going to let you know how  my trip has been so far. I know Im a few days late. We left on Thursday. It was very, very hectic. My wonderful kidney doctor called around on Wednesday to get a dermatologist to see in a moments notice. (my face is soo broken out, grrr). I got 3 new prescriptions that noone wants to fill. lol

Well I had to also try to get my stuff packed. My dailysis has to  be an issue. Well the airlines told Thom that there is no weight limit on medical baggage as long as there is a note from the doctor, which I had. So we decided to take all 8 boxes and all. Which I didnt realize that traveling would be planes, trains, and automobiles. lol So on Wednesday Thom decides to mail half the boxes from Michigan to Germany to cut down on the baggage.

So, let me tell you all on Thursday, we get to the airport, well Thom does put 4 boxes of dialysis in one of his suit cases. So when we get to the airport they say the suitcase is too heavy. It did weigh 135lbs! So TSA made him empty half of it into some box that they taped up. lol. The flight was good. We both wanted to sleep so all we did was hold each other the whole entire way there and try to cover up with their little blanket. lol It was so sweet. I know. Awwww

it was crazy. When we got to Frankfurt, Germany, he filled up the suitcase again. lol And all together we had several things of luggage. I had two suite cases, he had a few, on ewith my dialysis, one with the dress and suit. So, it added up to 7. We had to take the train. Boy Germany is soo expensive! From Frankfurt to Numberg  was about $200 for each of us in american (122,00 Euro) and that was fun. lol Couldnt find a place to sit, ended up in first class when they said pay up or move to second class. lol Moved again down the train with all 7 pieces of luggage. found a glassed in compartment with a black guy who lives here from Oregon and another guy from austrilla. That was cool. We got so far, had to get on train number 2. Thom stayed by the door of this train with our luggage while he gave me his watch and the tickets and told me to find a seat. I ended up sitting across from some dark old fart from Turkey. at our stop, (still not at the base!) his friend is on patrol (military police), he waves down a cab. A 10 minute cab ride here cost $36! We get to the barricks and see that the wheel on his one suitcase is broke. Another soldier helps us with the luggage. No elevators in his building.

thom gets a rental car, shows me around the base. There is the PX and Comminsaray(sp?). One is pretty much a grocery store and the other is like a Target/Walmart.

On Saturday. we saw a nearby Catherdal, very beautiful, and ate at a German resturant. I had a white sausage and a huge pretzel. Intresting. The while sausage came in a bowl full of water, lol, to keep its flavor.

We have gone to both the PX, and the Cominasairy (sp?) oh and also the base's gas station. All of these are run on the US dollar. However, the bad side of it all is the fact that I cannot on my own go to any of these! You have to have a military id to do anything. I can walk around, but cant buy anything! Grr. Oh I suspose I can go to the food court, has Popeyes Chicken, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Subway (which you  know I hate), and another place that is like that Great Steak and Potato place in Fairlane (if you have been to Fairlane in the last 10 years). Funny. lol I needed a nail file and poor Thom had to stand around and watch  me get that along with makeup I wanted. lol all because Im not allowed to shop there. You see, everything there is tax free.

So on Sunday while he still had the rental car, we went to the nearest town, so I can take pics, which was in Nuremberg. So I got to go to Amberg, and by the Autoban. He went up to 190mkm, and there were still vechiles passing him up. lol Very fast. The Autoban there is no speed limit. Some roads here there are  no speed limit. For dinner we ate at a nice Italian resturant that is right on base.

On Monday, I was surprised that he didnt have to work. I think it was a German holiday. It has been cold, rainy here and in the 50s. Yesterday, Monday, he took back the rental car and we just hung out.

Ill tell you more later.

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
st789

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 08:05:09 PM »

Thanks for sharing.  I will visit my friend in Germany this October.
jagermiester

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 08:24:25 PM »

Where in Germany are you at?  I lived in Germany for 8 years.  The first 3 I was in the Army and while there I met my ex-husband, who was in the Air Force and so when I got out of the Army, we got married and stayed in  Germany 5 more years.  Germany is SO beautiful and I love the way they cherish and preserve their history. 

Have fun and enjoy the country.  :2thumbsup;   
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 08:29:11 PM »

:cheer: Have fun!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 08:39:04 PM »

I was in Baveria, southern Germany. My boyfriend, who is in the Army, was stationed in Graf.
Yes I will totally agree that Germany is beautiful. Unfortunally, I didnt get to see very much of it. But, if I had the money, I would totally go back (after a transplant, of course) for a tour. I did tour Sicily a few years back.
And now want to do Germany,

Lisa

Where in Germany are you at?  I lived in Germany for 8 years.  The first 3 I was in the Army and while there I met my ex-husband, who was in the Air Force and so when I got out of the Army, we got married and stayed in  Germany 5 more years.  Germany is SO beautiful and I love the way they cherish and preserve their history. 

Have fun and enjoy the country.  :2thumbsup;

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 03:03:31 AM »

Thanks for the update on your trip to Germany, Lillupie.

I have never been to Nuernberg but I would like to go there,
because many of the early instrument-makers were based there
and the “Nationalmuseum” has an important collection of historical instruments,
and there is a rare sculpture of “Tilman Riemenschneider”; his sculptures are absolutely wonderful;
Tilman Riemenschneider adored people, especially the female species...

I would also love to see Karl Spitzweg’s painting: “The poor poet”.

Nuernberg is also the birth-place of Albrecht Duerer, a very self-confident painter
who broke away from convention and “invented” the self-portrait...

I would also like to visit the famous “Open Air Classical Concerts” in Nuernberg
and I would love to visit their famous Christmas-market.

Have you already visited the castle in Heidelberg?
(They provide very good tourist-guides and they speak English...)
Before leaving the castle, don’t forget to get a little “taster” of their excellent ice-wine.
They sell the ice-wine in a very tiny little glass, because it is so rare,
and it is a nice little treat for the taste-buds...

Do you plan to visit the castles of Bavarian’s fairy-tale-King Ludwig?

Let us know how you get on and thanks for the up-date.

Best wishes from Kristina.  :waving;

« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 03:10:20 AM by kristina » Logged

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 03:15:58 AM »

Sounds like a fabulous adventure!  The autobahns are crazy, aren't they?!  Blokey really wants to drive through Germany just to test his car out properly!  He drives in France a couple of times a year and that is so much better than England, but German roads are so much better than French roads! 

And yes, Europe (not just Germany) is expensive ... *sigh*

(I'm glad you got all your dialysis bits there okay!)

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »