I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 05:23:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Dialysis and the Eating Disorders
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dialysis and the Eating Disorders  (Read 2713 times)
Gandalf

"Character is Destiny" Heraclitus

« on: January 05, 2011, 08:21:07 PM »

I hope this is not too strange a question - are there any others out there who have previously / are currently facing the challenge of an eating disorder and are on dialysis.  Some years previously, I struggled for ages with Anorexia, and after the longest time, emerged a survivor (sort of).  Created a life where most of the central food/weight/control issues were under control.  I now am on hemodialysis, and the last year has been pretty much hell.  The staff at the centre are truly wonderful, the setup is efficient, and all the rest.  The problem is that the relative obsession with weight and intake and food is really driving me crazy, to the point that I sometimes feel quite overcome.
Have obviously contemplated stopping dialysis (have some degree of residual kidney function) but that has some very unpleasant consequences of its own.
I guess I am not really hoping for answers, but would love to know if there are others for whom this thing is an issue?
noahvale
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 09:44:51 PM »

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 02:29:37 AM by noahvale » Logged
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »

Gandolf, I can understand your confusion. It's not helped by the conflicting dietary advice that is offered to you...I, for example, am apparently unusual in that I need to make sure I eat potassium rich foods regularly yet my initial advice was to steer clear of such foods.
I'm at the opposite end to you, I'm obese and would love to lose some weight but I'm yet to find any one who can help.
I do know that dialysis can sometimes give you a terrific appetite and how you cope with that I don't know.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »