I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 11:22:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Anniversary of my Fistula
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anniversary of my Fistula  (Read 1878 times)
LarryG

Grateful to my donor, I feel great!.

« on: January 03, 2011, 08:54:21 AM »

This was my reply to a woman who's husband had a hematoma after a dialysis session and was experiencing pain and swelling and someone mentioned that techs were human.

Nobody is perfect and techs are human. You need to find out what woks for you and find out as much as you can on the process that is best to save the life of you access.

I have had all sorts of problems with techs sticking me. First it is an unnatural process and a man made life line that the body is trying to reject. Fast and heavy blood flows on a manmade vein I have had a lot of infiltrations and it doesn't matter who the tech has been. One tech actually told me I was the most difficult person he had ever stuck and it became so bad that several techs refused to stick me and they were afraid of me. There are many patients that have had their access messed up over time, many have had surgeries and I see some pretty bad scarred and  mutilated arm and people who access has been blown out redone or destroyed all together where the chest cath had to be re inserted. The pseudo aneurysms (large bumps) freak me out. Every three months I go to the Vein Clinic where I have had procedures and surgeries an angioplasty to keep my access healthy and clean. I use to resist this but I am happy to go.
What I have learned is you need to be in control of the health of your access and even the way the techs stick you. I have been asked about button holes and self cannulation and home dialysis and I am satisfied with staying at the clinic I am at because it is convenient for me within walking distance from my house. I do not and cannot look at the techs sticking me and with a pencil in my mouth to bite on I turn my head away, I just can't look at the size of those 15 gauge needles being inserted in my arm. No way I am going to stick myself. Lidocaine is out because the clinic and doctor has told me it destroys the access area and in my opinion how would you know they have done something wrong if you can't feel it.
I do know after time how I need to be stuck and I demand each and ever tech do it right. Shallow and horizontal and a bit to the left and not where the nerve rides and if they do it wrong I will moan and scream. I don't care about my reputation and what the tech thinks you know your arm and what is best for you and you need to figure it out and demand that they do it right. It is the only way you are going to save the life of your fistula.

After I told the dietitian that this was the anniversary of my fistula surgery she asked me if this was the first one as a matter a fact as if it has worn out before. I told her that was rather ominous and she replied well they don't last forever. I told her don't you think that is left up to me. Well maybe, but they can last for awhile but in time they just wear out. This got me a little depressed. Is this what I am looking forward to. There is one patients arm who has been long term and he looks like Frankenstein and obviously I don't want to look like him and I have done my own research and have sought as much information as possible so this does not happen to me. Very scary none-the-less. The faster this nightmare is over the better.
So anyone have some experience on this subject?
Larryg

Edited: Moved to proper section - okarol/admin
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 06:44:39 PM by okarol » Logged

LWG
Diagnosed ESRD Jan 2008
Wegener's granulomatosis
Uncontrollable Hypertension
AV Fistula inserted Jan 2 2009
Transplant waiting list University Illinois Chicago Division of Transplant.
Angioplasty and Coil placement to limit Blood Flow from Fistula Jan. 18 2011
Transplant by living donor March 28 2011
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 06:49:30 PM »

Jenna"s fistula failed after 3 years use, on the day of her transplant. The doctor said it may have been because she was always a bit uremic and that thins the blood, so the new kidney made nice healthy clotting red blood cells. Maybe that's why. We'll never know.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 03:55:42 PM by okarol » Logged

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 10:55:53 PM »

Happy birthday, Larry's fistula and best wishes for many more, you little devil you.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 01:21:16 AM »

My graft lasted a little over ten years.  Yes, that is right, my GRAFT lasted ten years!  My fistula is a little over four moths old now.  We have established buttonholes.  I am hopeful for over ten years with this access.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 12:58:28 PM »

Well done KitKat with the graft.  I have had my graft for over four years but I have only been using it for two years.  Strangely enough it clotted over Christmas (got dehydrated) and I had it revised and they fixed the problem but it is worn in certain areas so if you are laddering you need to try and use as much of the graft as possible and not just one spot unless you a buttonholing.  I am hoping for a fistula next time so I can buttonhole but if you look after a graft well they can last a long time too as KitKat has shown. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »