I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2024, 10:53:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Family and Friends Team Up to Provide LA Man with Kidney Transplant
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Family and Friends Team Up to Provide LA Man with Kidney Transplant  (Read 3339 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: December 29, 2006, 10:43:07 AM »

Family and Friends Team Up to Provide LA Man with Kidney Transplant

Source: Cedars-Sinai Medical Center         
Thu 28-Dec-2006, 17:25 ET

Newswise — Eliud Lopez needed an organ transplant when a chronic disease caused irreparable damage to his kidneys and forced him to go on dialysis. His sister was a willing and compatible donor. But Eliud was in Los Angeles, where he lives, and Jacqueline Lopez was in Guatemala, and there appeared to be no way to get the two together.

Three Christmases ago, Eliud, who turned 33 on Dec. 23, the father of two daughters, 9 and 5, was healthy and active, working as a car detailer. But his wife, Antonia, began to notice that his abdomen was swelling. She urged him to go to the doctor, and tests showed that his kidneys were failing and he would need a transplant.

Eliud says other family members – including his mother, who also lives in the city – were tested but ruled out as potential donors. Jacqueline was the best hope, but there was no money to make the trip and transplant happen – until a chance encounter occurred a couple of years ago.

Eliud and Jacqueline’s brother, Bryan Compusano, who was a student at Washington Preparatory High School, heard a presentation at the school by Mike Jones. An African-American Christian, Jones received a kidney from a white Muslim donor in a Jewish hospital (Cedars-Sinai) in 2001, shortly after the attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon. After his experience, Jones founded and is President and CEO of the One Miracle Celebration of Life Foundation, which was established to help educate others on how to give the “gift of life” and remain healthy in the process. After meeting Bryan, Jones took an interest in Eliud’s situation.

With help from the foundation, a non-profit organization, Jacqueline came to the United States in February, and the transplant operations were performed at Cedars-Sinai on Nov. 28, 2006. Eliud says he and his sister are doing well and she is pleased “because she gave me the gift of life.” The transplanted kidney began to function immediately.

Eliud says the family, which includes another brother who lives in the area, will have a special holiday this year. “We’re excited because we’ve been in a tough situation for two-and-a-half years and now my family’s happy. Everybody’s happy.”

URL: http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/526241/?sc=rsmn

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 06:08:35 PM »

How and Why do they make this whole process seem so easy,  i wish they would talk about all the testing involved also.  I am sure he had some extensive testing just like Kitkatz is doing.  That is how we learn what we have to look forward to if and when our time comes.  To me, this is too misleading  :twocents; :twocents;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 10:58:04 PM »

How and Why do they make this whole process seem so easy,  i wish they would talk about all the testing involved also.  I am sure he had some extensive testing just like Kitkatz is doing.  That is how we learn what we have to look forward to if and when our time comes.  To me, this is too misleading  :twocents; :twocents;

Because the Media ALWAYS paints a pretty picture. For example, I love it when I read or see on TV:

"Wife gives Husband the gift of life, she gave him a kidney and now his problems are over"

::) >:( That's bullshit and we know it. A transplant is just another form of treatment. ::) And his new kidney could fail at anytime.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »