I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 11:26:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  NBC Report on Dialysis Reveals Continued Media and Nephrology Bias
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NBC Report on Dialysis Reveals Continued Media and Nephrology Bias  (Read 13587 times)
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2011, 10:33:58 AM »

Noahvale you've stated a couple times that someone with a graft can't do HHD. That is not the case - Dan (aka DialysisDan) has been self canulating his graft at home and on the road for several years (I saw him do it). Bob Lockridge has a majority of people using catheters in his HHD program. Access flavor isn't a barrier to HHD.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2011, 11:11:01 AM »

I'm not sure I see why "optimal dialysis" has to be synonymous to "home hemo".  The goal is to achieve "optimal dialysis" in a whole plethora of settings.

With the dialysis industry rolling in money, I have little sympathy for those who cite "staffing problems" as an obstacle to in-center nocturnal dialysis.

I don't think there is much disagreement amongst us that the thrice weekly inclinic modality is a "business model" and NOT a "well-being model".  This is the crux of the problem.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2011, 11:20:39 AM »

I'm not sure I see why "optimal dialysis" has to be synonymous to "home hemo".  The goal is to achieve "optimal dialysis" in a whole plethora of settings.

With the dialysis industry rolling in money, I have little sympathy for those who cite "staffing problems" as an obstacle to in-center nocturnal dialysis.

I don't think there is much disagreement amongst us that the thrice weekly inclinic modality is a "business model" and NOT a "well-being model".  This is the crux of the problem.

Dear MooseMom and Rerun, I have taken a new look at my article in light of your impression and addes more explanation and clarity hopefully to the points I was trying to make.  Thank you for your comments, hopefully I have done a little better with my explanation of why I believe his article is quite biased and inaccurate.  Thank you once again for your inputs, no man is an island unto himself.

God bless,

Peter

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info
Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy 1998
Incenter Dialysis starting 2-1-2007
Self Care in Center from 4-15-2008 to 6-2-2009
Started  Home Care with NxStage 6-2-2009 (Qb 370, FF 45%, 40L)

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »