I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2024, 02:36:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Heparin usage for nocturnal
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heparin usage for nocturnal  (Read 2688 times)
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« on: December 20, 2010, 02:58:15 PM »

I am starting nocturnal with nxstage......  My clinic doesnt have a clue what to tell me to do so I have been giving them info from everywhere I can find it.....  I will be the first in my area....  Now that they have the pump.... I need t know how much to set the heparin for....how much per hour or what .....  They asked me how long I was planning on doing dialysis and how often......
    I am currently doing 30 L   and I am running 370bfs right now..... I am thinking that  I could do 7.5 hours....???     six days a week.....  they want labs once a week for a month so they can monitor me....   I am thinking that if all looks good maybe I can do 5 days at 40 L.... any thought here.... need some help .....  how much heparin do some of you use....  ???

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
greg10

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 05:04:27 PM »

This thread may be useful:
according to Rich Berkowitz, he did:
"I've been doing nocturnal sunce June 2008 and wouldn't want to go back. I love the fact I feel so much better, have more energy and certainly have benefitted from the healthy results. The only extra piece of equipment you'll need is a heparin pump. I do a manual bolus of 1000 unites and a continuous drip of 500 every hour until one hour before the end of the treatment. I've been doing 7 1/2 hours and run at 250BFR."

http://www.nxstageusers.com/forum/showthread.php?135-Switching-between-nocturnal-and-short-daily

tyefly, good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 06:53:21 PM »

Generally you'll want to give yourself enough heparin so that there is minimal streaking of the artificial kidney at the end and you stop bleeding within 10 minutes. Here are NKC's standing orders - http://nwkidney.org/healthcareProfessionals/nephrologists/hhstanding.pdf  - your unit will need something like these too (BTW a lot of HHD staff turn to NKC's HHD department for peer to peer support. NKC can be a resource).

The general approach for nocturnal, would be to make a guess based on your current usage. Best to aim low and increase the hourly while monitoring how long it take to stop bleeding. It may mean a few blood cell lost to the process but that's acceptable collateral damage.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »