I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2024, 02:31:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  My Dad
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Dad  (Read 3543 times)
Nancy

One of many caregivers to my Dad.

« on: December 08, 2010, 07:58:22 PM »

Hi all,  thanks for listening.  I think I need/want to vent.   My brothers & sisters & I just spent the night with dad at the hospital. He went to bed last night and his blood sugar tanked so my mom called the paramedics and they decided to bring him in because this is something new.
Dad just turned 82 last month. Him and mom have been married for 62 years.  He was a truck driver his whole life, never over the road though. In all the years i bet you could count on one hand the days he missed. Super hard worker. Never sick a day in his life. Smoked, drank and ate what ever he wanted.  Well about 10 years ago he started having trouble with leg pain then chest pain and waited as long as he could until he could not breath anymore, finally went into the emergency room where from there on it's been stents after stents, in his legs, heart & neck. Eventually heart failure started along with becoming diabetic and last kidney failure this last May and started dialysis. I love my dad and this is so hard to watch all this happening to him. He is not a good patient when in the hospital. We all have been taking turns caring for him with driving him to D, and now we finally decided to get some home healthcare to help keep track of meds along with other healthcare stuff.  I'm glad to have this sight so i can read others life stories and get first hand advice/experience. It's a great comfort. I am learning so much.  :thx;

Nancy
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 08:28:50 PM »

I'm so sorry that this has happened to your family but am glad you've had many great years of having a healthy dad.  I know he is grateful for your tender loving care.  Anything you need from us, you just ask. :cuddle;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 10:05:03 PM »

G'day Nancy and  :welcomesign;. I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. A long healthy life and then the downside! I can relate to that. You'll get some terrific advice here andequally terrific support. Again  :welcomesign;.

Galvo
lsavatski

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 02:51:38 PM »

Dads are very special people.  I imagine he's very proud of you and glad to have you beside him right now. 
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 02:54:26 AM »

Nancy, I'm so sorry you have all this to deal with, it's never easy.  Please hang in there and do something for yourself each day, even if it's just a little quiet time. 

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 08:12:13 PM »

:grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 12:15:56 AM »

:cuddle;   :cuddle; :cuddle;

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 08:45:26 AM »

:cuddle;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 10:01:23 AM »

Nancy, I am thinking about you and your family.  :grouphug;
carol1987

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 12:52:01 PM »

It is so hard to see our big strong dad's ill..   :cuddle;  Treasure the time you have now and the wonderful memories!!

Diagnosed with  PKD July 2002 (no family history)
Fistula placed April 2009
Placed on Transplant list April 2009
Started HD 10/6/10
Transplanted 1/6/11 (Chain Transplant My altruistic donor was  "Becky from Chicago" , and DH Mike donated on my behalf and the chain continued...)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »