I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 01:32:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  How to avoid Peritonitis?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to avoid Peritonitis?  (Read 12446 times)
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2010, 05:00:04 PM »

Oh, Jie - I am so envious. I have always been a bit useless when it comes to lifting things and so would never attempt anything too weighty, so really feel I shouldn't have got a hernia. Glad to hear that lifting things may not be such an issue for everyone. I am only a small person, too, just over 5 foot, so I guess that is a factor too.

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2010, 09:48:17 AM »

The hernia is not too dissimilar to a pulled muscle and it is not too far away from a slipped disc,
& it seems to me that the only answer to avoid these very disabling problems
is to have some degree of discipline with how one goes about doing certain tasks.
Quite often such problems occur through making a simple wrong move.
At the time before it happens we feel ok and think we can go that bit further,
and then it suddenly happens.

Because I have suffered from a slipped disc on several occasions I know how easily it can happen.
Because I never wanted this to happen again I disciplined myself to only carry out tasks
well within myself and to use different methods to achieve the same objective,
where previously I had just stretched that bit too far.

I guess, it is the same for hernia where we have to exert a bit of discipline
and use different methods to achieve the same objective.

I wish you the very best of luck.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
lunadatura

Fate happens, Destiny is what you do with it.

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2010, 10:11:03 AM »

i was on PD for almost a year - my neph moved me back to hemo because i struggled with blood pressure

I was a bit of a renegade on PD - all the usual precautions about masking, cats, fans etc i found that I could basically get away with out doing

also i did find that I could successfully take a vacation in Hawaii and spend every day swimming in the ocean and my tunnel cather site was totally fine

the only time i got peritonitis was from exposing the tubing to my sink drain, realizing i had set up the machine wrong and then did not restart the set up with new equipment

if you do PD its common sense to wash hands and keep the tubing connections clean - you will be fine

if you can hack the daily set up of the machine and the storage of materials it is a good way of getting D

Diagnosised FSGS via biopsy 11/2006
Started Dialysis 5/2009
hemo-dialysis except 9.09-6.10 = peritoneal then back to hemo
currently in center hemo 3x per week
Evaluation for transplant July 2010
Almost received transplant 8.13
repeated calls and admissions for transplant since then but no kidney yet
3.1.14 got ideal kidney and having exceptional recovery - creatine went from 8.5 to 1.1 in less than 2 weeks.
Jie

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2010, 11:36:48 PM »

Oh, Jie - I am so envious. I have always been a bit useless when it comes to lifting things and so would never attempt anything too weighty, so really feel I shouldn't have got a hernia. Glad to hear that lifting things may not be such an issue for everyone. I am only a small person, too, just over 5 foot, so I guess that is a factor too.

Yeah, the weight is body-dependent as well as whether the belly is empty or full. I do not have solution during the day, so lifting a little more during the day is fine. If one cannot lift the cycler (about 30 lbs), she or he cannot travel with a cycler. The hard part is to put the cycler to overhead and take it down on an airplane.
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2010, 04:25:58 PM »

I'm empty during the day too, just have a weak peritoneum, to go with the weak muscles (and brain!)
I travel with the cycler and one wonderful hubby, who carts all my gear without complaint. But I have to agree, without him to lift and carry, travelling would be very difficult. I can not imagine lifting 'Polly' into an overhead compartment on a plane!!!!

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2010, 03:35:53 AM »

Thank you, lunatadura and Jie, for sharing your experiences.

Thanks chook, for giving us a good idea and a good picture
of the problems in connection with the weight of the unit
and the difficulties of lifting it when travelling.

Thanks again from Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
lunadatura

Fate happens, Destiny is what you do with it.

« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2010, 11:59:20 PM »

i would like to add that i shattered my knee falling down a flight of 15 cement steps carrying my PD machine.

I dont have a hubby who is strong and willing to haul my stuff around - lucky are those that do.

the manufacturers really could make a light more portable machine - maybe i should sue?.....

becareful when hauling this puppy around  - it can do some damage.

Diagnosised FSGS via biopsy 11/2006
Started Dialysis 5/2009
hemo-dialysis except 9.09-6.10 = peritoneal then back to hemo
currently in center hemo 3x per week
Evaluation for transplant July 2010
Almost received transplant 8.13
repeated calls and admissions for transplant since then but no kidney yet
3.1.14 got ideal kidney and having exceptional recovery - creatine went from 8.5 to 1.1 in less than 2 weeks.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2010, 06:44:50 AM »

Hello,  lunadatura, sorry about the problems you have had transporting your PD-Dialysis-Unit.

No doubt, you have probably thought about it, but you can get very small,
collapsible and very robust two-wheeled baggage trolleys (or like)
on which you could secure the Dialysis-Unit when going up and down the stairs.

If you have a local craftsman-engineer they may be able to modify it to your requirements.
I have seen such trolleys in DIY-shops and stores and shops that sell luggage etc.

Best wishes from Kristina.

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2010, 01:10:58 PM »

Kristina , irrc the machines we get supplied with, come in a hard- case , not dissimilar to a suitcase and have wheels on them.

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Jie

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2010, 01:15:45 PM »

Such trolleys are available in stores. I understand the problem Lunadatura had. It is the problem of "steps". In some airports, one has to walk on steps to reach airplanes. In such cases, elevators are not available. Also, when inside an airplane, there are not enough space for the trolleys, so one has to carry the cycler, carry-on items and the trolley. For me, the total weight is about 50 lbs. I have been a MVP and can select a seat on the front rows so that I do not walk too long on an airplane. 

It will be difficult to sue Baxter since they can argue that the patient can buy a hardcase and check the cycler. I used the hardcase during my first trip after starting dialysis, and the cycler was damaged during the flight. Then, I have never used a hardcase since. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »