I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 12:33:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Prednisone experience
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prednisone experience  (Read 2101 times)
Chris
Member for Life

« on: November 28, 2010, 10:04:44 PM »

Since my hospitalization in Septembe and a bunch of med changes, I am on 5 mg of Prednisone now on top of Rapamune and Prograf. I get headaches on one side of the brain now that last for quite some time. Anyone else get these? I have brought it up to my transplant center, but didn't seem ed concerned about it. Told hem about memory lapses that have gotten worse since the hospitalization so they sent me to a nuerobehaviorist to test memory function and performes some scans. To me it's simple, takeme of one drug to find out if that is the one causing it. There's only 4 new meds to try. Vision has gotten worse to since September, but of course have to see another doctor for that which is Monday to get all bug eyed to see inside.

On the plus side, physical therapy is done for a month, so the break won't last long.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 10:17:10 PM »

Vision issues can be caused indirectly by prednisone.  Since it causes fluid gain, some of it can go to the optic nerve and cause vision issues.  High doses of prednisone in my early teens caused the cataracts that I've been dealing with since my early 20s.  I don't think 5mg a day would do a whole lot, though.  I don't know the side effects of rapamune or prograf, so those could be culprits as well.  If the only thing that has changed since you started having problems, than it is most likely the meds.  It's hard to get doctors to get that.  Keep pointing it out to them.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 01:55:39 AM »

That's interesting.  Gregory is still on 20mg a day of prednisolone, (they raised it from 10mg to 100mg a day, then 40mg a day while he fought off the PCP pneumonia) and he's been having eye problems and cracking headaches too.  He gets the headaches at night, has had puffy ankles and puffy eyes, and some mornings he has photo-sensitivity:  can't see in the light.  I've mentioned it to two different renal docs at the renal clinic (he still goes in weekly for checkups) and asked if it was the Bactrim (photo-sensitivity is listed as a side effect of Bactrim).  They both said, "it won't be the Bactrim".   They didn't seem worried about it.  HOpefully they will reduce the preddies tomorrow, I must remember to ask about it specifically!
When he was on 100mg a day he had the shakes something shocking and was grumpy as an old ##$$ as well.

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 03:38:31 AM »

Boy, do I love all of this "You're in tremendous pain, but we're not concerned about it!" :sarcasm;

Headaches were a constant fact in my childhood. Tylenol usually helped, but sometimes not. Headaches are one of those hopelessly general symptoms that something is wrong. I think you're right, Chris. They should do some investigating and try eliminating certain drugs to find the cause. I don't understand the Rapamune and Prograf. I went through the med-switch discussion with the surgeon and Rapamune was discussed as a substitute for Prograf. I thought you could not tolerate Prograf any longer?

The good news is that my headaches eventually subsided, and in the end seemed to be stress-triggered. Perhaps you just need a bit of time to adjust to the combination.

I am sorry you are in pain and dealing with all of these hassles! :(

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 04:44:28 PM »

Cariad, it was the CellCept/ Myfortic I can not tolerate anymore. The meds are what they put me on, I didn't have much of a say. At the time I didn't much care as long as I got better in the hospital.

I do not have the puffyness or munchies with the prednisone either.
Went to opthalmologist today and eye pressure is above normal in my good eye, but does not show signs of glaucoma. Howeer I am getting more test on that eye Thursday to see if there is other damage and get in touch with my doctors about what is going on with vision. Other eye pressure is normal though, but doesn't much matter since I can't see out of it anyway.

As for the headaches, I don't take anything, I don't want to take another pill, don't want to, and don't feel the need for it yet since I have been in worse circumstances of pain

I'll call the doctors tomorrow to update them what is going on again.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012