I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 11:18:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Not coping at all.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Not coping at all.  (Read 5197 times)
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2010, 03:13:39 PM »

Hiya, Adam,

I have been wondering how you were doing.

I had my first transplant as a child and it lasted 34 years. Much like Matt describes, I would forget that I even had a transplant most of the time. I was called up by an army recruiter once at university - the man was so nice and I really was not very good at handling getting out of these things when I was your age, so I agreed to meet him for an interview. (I knew I never wanted to join the military). The recruiter said great, let me just ask you a few questions. This was before US law barring recruiters from enquiring about sexual orientation, so I thought "Oh, cool! I'll just tell him I'm gay. Sorted!" Duh, it never came to that because he asked how my health was and it suddenly dawned on me that I was not going to need to meet with him or concoct any excuses.

I told him about the transplant and he said "Oh no, that disqualifies you!" Then for emphasis he added "Because you could die!!!" There I was rejoicing but also thinking did it ever occur to him that it is terribly ironic to warn people that they could die from the effects of transplant when you are trying to recruit them for active military duty (during a war, I might add)?

It's great to hear that you are feeling better. Oh, and I have never had cancer, diabetes, or any other ill effects aside from osteoporosis which already runs so heavily in my family that I am convinced I would have it either way. Drug induced diabetes will often go away with a med change anyhow. Good luck, and keep in touch with IHD.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
billmoria

Living life to my max

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 10:23:05 AM »

I think your feeling better after so many good people on here wrote back to you.    :beer1;

You can only play the cards you are dealt. Some people rant and rave and if that works for them so be it. I smile and tell people I feel good. Only my partner Dave really knows how I feel as he can read me instantly.I just choose to avoid all the negatives and get on with my life as best as I can.

WMoriarty
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2010, 02:37:40 AM »

I don't know what I would do in your situation, so I can only tell you what I do and that is try and forget everything and live one day at a time. I also volunteer once a week and keep that up without fail, it helps me remember that there's another life out there.

And, by the way, did you notice that the bloke who gave you the best advice (Richard Mel) suddenly has a new future?

And I don't like soccer either, AFL is much better.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »