I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 01:31:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Is it possible?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is it possible?  (Read 1672 times)
statesidela

« on: November 20, 2010, 12:05:19 AM »

Is it possible for the the old kidneys to kick back in after 8 months? After seeing my doc today he said my phrosphoris was good my blood was good creatine was down from 5 to 4.2.....it stayed at 5 forever.....I have not been sticking to the dreaded diet milk, chocolate, beer, pizza, take out, drive thrus....my phrosphoris should be of the charts?

I have always held on to the possibility.....prayed to gods, the moon, the sun, the stars

What's the possibility? I be interested in all your thoughts  :thumbup; :thumbdown;
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 03:44:22 AM »

It does happen.  You may be even given less time or only 2 days a week.  But, we can pray for OFF dialysis.

:pray;

But, don't stop on your own.  Let the doctor make the decision.

statesidela

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 09:14:35 AM »

Couple of weeks back before i found this site i was really down in the dump I took a whole 7 days of with no effect the doc was really mad at me and I never understood why then I read on this site that you ruffly have 7-10 without dialysis....that scared the poop out of me been going ever since...but I honestly did feel really good...... it all has me wondering
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 01:20:03 PM »

it depends on what caused your kidneys to fail in the first place.  A teacher I had in high school told me that his kidneys failed due to some sort of injury, I think. He said that he was on PD for about 6 months till his kidneys recovered.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
statesidela

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 08:33:33 PM »

Hi riki....It was an allergic reaction that cause the ole kidneys to go AWOL!!! We buggers...an I am on HD...I hope n pray I in with a chance....only time will tell
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 09:02:28 PM »

Sometimes when there's actute kidney failure, brought on by something like bad dehydration, that can recover and get back to normal function. It is rare in other cases, but has been known to happen - we had a member just a few months back who got off dialysis because his function returned well enough - how fantastic!

It certainly seems to be some good signs that your blood work is good - specially if you're being naugty and eating a lot of high phos/K food (mmm beer!  :beer1;).

As frustrating as it is though I think you should keep with the D and get those regular labs done and discuss the options with your neph - just missing dialysis can be dangerous, as well as give you a nasty "non compliant" label which may haunt you down the tracks.

Remember that lab values can fluctuate to some degree depending on when the bloods are taken, your exercise levels, what you've been eating etc, so a lowering of creat may just be a one off, or it may be the start of a trend (hopefully!) but it's not the only measure to go on.

I'm really hoping for you that this could wind up in reduced or no dialysis required, but it's probably a bit early to go there yet.. but yes, it has been known to happen. Keep the faith!!

:bow; :bow; :bow; :waving;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 09:20:12 PM »

Ugh.. the "non-compliant" label that I got when I was 15 still haunts me.. almost kept me off the transplant list.. that, and one of the doctors saying that I was purposely causing my kidneys to fail for attention.  They actually said I was non-compliant for not going to clinic in a snow storm.  They know it's a 3-4 hour drive.  Nobody travels in a snow storm, it's just not safe.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »