I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 05:25:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Dialysis machine operation
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dialysis machine operation  (Read 4801 times)
statesidela

« on: November 18, 2010, 01:21:59 PM »

Does anyone know if there is any books, or online information on the operation of a in center dialysis machine I would love learn the basics of how to operate the machine mainly because I cannot trust the techs to do what they are paid to do. i.e. Drawing fluids when there not supposed to....you would think they would remember no UF after 8 months I know they busy but come on seams ridiculous to me....anyways if you guys know of any info that could help me out....that would be awesome
billmoria

Living life to my max

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 01:34:07 PM »

Actually, I am sure your center has books on machines - will they let you read them?  Manufacturers might send you a copy.

If that does not work type instruction booklets for ______________ (your machine) into google and see what happens.

WMoriarty
statesidela

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 02:14:01 PM »

Hi bill thanks for your reply.....my dialysis center lol :rofl; that a joke...I can't even get them to give me shots when there supposed to I am still waiting on last shots for hep b I guess I will have redo them over...can't even get them to give me a copy of my labs or pass on messages to my doc and it's been almost two months since I seen my neph...don't think I get much luck on the getting info from em.

Great idea about googling the machine...I goto dialysis tomorrow I will look out for some identification of the machine then

Once again thanks for the ideas and it's nice to meet you bill

Bren
chiefsfan301

Fish, Duck Hunt, Fish, DuckHunt, Golf and Football

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 03:24:21 PM »

What kind of machine?

IGA 1994
Fistula August 2009
Dialysis October 2009
Approved for Transplant January 2010
Turned down ECK kidney January 2011
Desert Dancer

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 03:48:54 PM »

What kind of machine? I have an operating manual for a Fresenius 2008K in .pdf format that I'd be happy to email to you.

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
statesidela

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 04:20:31 PM »

Not sure on what type of machine I will find that out tomorrow when I go there

I goto a fresenius center dancer so it is more than likely that machine but I will double check please do email me that manual though I am sure it will be of some help if not a lot

Thank again
greg10

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 04:44:44 PM »

Not sure on what type of machine I will find that out tomorrow when I go there
I goto a fresenius center dancer ..
Welcome to the forum.
It is hard to learn from just reading a manual.  The Fresenius machines have 70% of the market but there are several models.

Have you investigated whether you can do home hemodialysis?  There is also a compact hemodialysis machine called the NxStage that is growing in popularity for home hemodialysis.

The following URL will take you to the operator's manual for the Fresenius machines:
http://www.fmcna.com/operators-manuals.html

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 05:09:52 PM »

Wow greg10, i tried so hard to find this info back a while ago..  Thanks a bunch!

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
statesidela

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 05:22:53 PM »

Thank for reply Greg

You are right I more than likely will not learn much from a manual but I will give it a whirl might pick something up

I am really interested in home hemo I looked into PD but decided it's not for me I think the night time hem is more up my street but I am really scared about putting needles in myself once my AV matures and get used to make button holes I may then give needles a try myself

I will look more into  nxstage

Thanks for your help
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 11:25:23 PM »

I've been meaning to look my machine up too, to see if there are any manuals for it.  I just want to know what all the things on the screen mean.  I've only used Fresenius machines when I was in the States... although, I think the one in Ottawa might have been a Fresenius machine

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
statesidela

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 12:12:10 AM »

Bingo!!! It is a Fresenius 2008K thanks for all the help guys
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »