I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 09:32:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  How much can I take off by sweating
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How much can I take off by sweating  (Read 2801 times)
hexoffender

« on: November 28, 2010, 08:26:59 PM »

Ok this might sound grosss, but I dont care. I am pretty active for having been on D for >5 years. I go to the gym 4-5 times a week, swim regularly, and Hike about 5-8 miles every weekend. With all that, I sweat alot... I didnt always though. When I had my transplant I hardly ever sweat. Of course I was also peeing then too. But especially in cold weather, when hiking, I can sweat so much my shirt will be completely soaked. Im guessing I sweat at out at least .5 kg. This morning I went swimming, and had to wait after my swim for my sons lessons to finnish. So by the time I went to the sauna, I was already mostly dry. Before I had alwys gone in the sauna wet. But after 5 minutes, I looked lik I had just ot out of the pool, and sweat was gushing out of me. So now Im thinking I might be able to pull at least 1 kg in between treatments, just by going to the sauna. Oh fyi, Im terrible about sticking to my fluid restriction. I dont even know what it is, so I try to just drink as little as I can, but I eat a ton of fruit, so thats probably what kills my fluid. I usually have to pull off 4 kg/treatment.
Desert Dancer

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 08:04:32 AM »

Have you tried weighing yourself both before and after you exercise, hike, swim, etc? It might at least give you an estimate of how much you're losing in fluid.

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
casper2636

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 03:01:14 PM »

I have never been able to sweat. Even when I was playing hard field hockey, and lacross, I never ever sweated. Maybe that should have been an indication of my kidney disorder? I don't know. But I do know I worked out hard and ran at least 5 miles every day and still never sweated. I'd be blessed to sweat and now to pee more than 1 cup a day!
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 07:13:06 PM »

I used to lose a lot more water than 1 kilo, when I stayed in a sauna for 45 minutes.

BTW, perspiration contains sodium and potassium too--about 900 mg sodium and 200 mg potassium per kilo of sweat.  So you can excrete excess sodium by sweating too.

That's why athletes often choose to rehydrate with sports drinks (Gatorade) rather than pure water.  Losing all that sodium and potassium means that if they drink pure water to rehydrate, they will have too little sodium and potassium for their fluid volume--and that can be dangerous. 
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 09:33:29 PM »

If you're taking off 4KG there is probably excess sodium in your diet. Fruit has moisture, all food has some moisture, but that would be a lot of fruit. So then the sauna is a twofer - water and salt.

The thing to remember is you can get dehydrated by dialysis, so you need to be extra aware of how you're feeling. If you start to feel at all light headed when sweating take a break.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
hexoffender

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 07:31:45 PM »

I will try to remember to weigh before I go in the sauna, but I hate using the scale at the gym. Its one of those ones with moveable weights. Im really careful about sodium, so I dont think its my diet. When I say alot of fruit... I mean alot  of fruit... especially apples I eat 10-12 apples a day, grapes(half a bag), and whatever is in season. I probably also drink too much water. I have a Kleen Kanteen that holds 16 oz, I sip on that all day at work.

@RightSide... I dont know if i could last 45 min. in the Sauna, I did 20 the other day and thought I was gonna die.
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 09:47:12 PM »

depending on how much you weigh and how tall you are......i don't understand why you are concerned about 4kg. we have a guy at my center that gains 8/9 kg from monday to wednesday. now he's someone that isn't taking care of himself. i occasionally gain 4 over a weekend and even my doctor isn't worried.  you sound like you're doing well.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 10:23:28 PM »

It does depend on your body size, the most recent data I've seen says you need your ultra filtration rate to be below 10ml/hour per kilo of weight. So you'd need to weigh more than 100KG if we're talking about removing 4liters over a four hour run.

The vascular system is like a balloon the more you inflate and deflate, gain and loose fluid, the more it looses its elasticity.

That's a lot of fruit hexoffender. How are your potassium and albumin levels? That said, better to eat fruit than drink juice.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 10:24:54 PM by Bill Peckham » Logged

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
calypso

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 02:22:13 PM »

The vascular system is like a balloon the more you inflate and deflate, gain and loose fluid, the more it looses its elasticity.

Are you sure about that? Because I'm supposed to get a 2nd angioplasty on my fistula, even though it's now flowing fine, but I'm having 2nd thoughts if inflation/deflation is going to cause damage to it in the form of less elasticity. Also I'm not too happy about going under the fluoroscope again. Lots of ionizing radiation there.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 05:25:36 PM »

Fluid gains and angio are different processes. With fluid gains it is as if your whole vascular system is being inflated; with angio there is literally a balloon that is inserted into the fistula to reverse a stenosis. The issue with fluid gains isn't the one time it happens but when it is happening treatment after treatment, inflating and deflating the vascular system 100 times a year, year after year. It's that cumulative effect that causes dialyzors problems.

There are risks with angio, as with all procedures, but they are different risks than those caused by high fluid gains. And no one gets a 100 angios a year.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 05:30:17 PM by Bill Peckham » Logged

calypso

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 10:39:23 AM »

Thank you Bill!  :thumbup;

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »