I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 03:22:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  First Use Syndrome to Dialyzer
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Use Syndrome to Dialyzer  (Read 7808 times)
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« on: December 03, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »

Hi Friends,
 Wednesday night I had an allergic reaction to the dialyzer. My tongue and lips went numb/tingly. It was difficult to breath, skin turned red, puke, and had severe stomach cramps. (which lead me to the bathroom where it wasn't a pretty sight!)  I have never been this sick before and now dialysis I am sick all the time...ugh. Has anyone else had this allergic reaction to the dialyzer before? The tech michelle says I can no longer use dry pack dialyzers. I was so out of it I have no idea what she meant. Tonight I had D and a hour into it I got the horrible stomach cramps again!! I wasn't having a reaction but I got sick again....good grief what is going on ya think?

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 08:12:33 PM »

I think what Michelle means is that you should no longer use a "one-time" dialyzer, and should switch to reusable dialyzers.

Some folks who have allergic reactions to the former, do better with the latter (or vice versa).  Because some folks are allergic to the chemicals in the "one-time" dialyzers; while other folks are allergic to the chemicals used to clean the reusable dialyzers.
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 02:27:26 AM »

I've never heard of a reusable dialyser, we use a new one every time. My thought is that you might try a different type of dialyser, because if it's the chemicals as RightSide says that would be the way to go.
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 02:44:18 AM »

I think what Michelle means is that you should no longer use a "one-time" dialyzer, and should switch to reusable dialyzers.

Some folks who have allergic reactions to the former, do better with the latter (or vice versa).  Because some folks are allergic to the chemicals in the "one-time" dialyzers; while other folks are allergic to the chemicals used to clean the reusable dialyzers.
Well said.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
greg10

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 05:32:13 AM »

...been this sick before and now dialysis I am sick all the time...ugh. Has anyone else had this allergic reaction to the dialyzer before? The tech michelle says I can no longer use dry pack dialyzers. I was so out of it I have no idea what she meant. ....
I don't want to be skeptical and cynical of the tech, but that term "dry pack" is normally used only by a big chain clinic such as Davita.  Big clinics have a cost incentive by reusing dialyzer cartridges.  Reusing cartridges can have many problems such as mixed up with other dialyzers, contamination with cleaners and possible antigen accumulation and  bacterial growth in the old dialyzer.  There have been cases of Davita in Colorado mixing up patients' dialyzer and infecting some with hepatitis and MRSA.

Before you go the route of reuse, try the following:
1. Write down the name of your dialyzer and find out all you can about possible allergies with it.
2. Ask your tech to flush out the new dialyzer with an additional 1 liter of saline after priming and before each use.  Dialyzers are primed with saline before each use.  The priming could accumulate chemicals from the manufacturing of the dialyzer and cause allergic reactions in you.  Flushing the priming saline out of the system could help.  The normal procedure is to just continuing using the priming saline as your initial treatment fluid.
3. Ask for any alternative dialyzer you can try.

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20795.msg346185#msg346185

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
rsudock
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 07:12:44 AM »

Thanks everyone! I just called the D center to figure out what the heck is going on and the nurse what short with me at first, but I continued to push her for info. I loved it when she says, "Well back in the day they use to clean dialyzers with fermaldhyde, which was very bad for patients, but now they use a different cleaning agents so, it only makes the patient sick." Then she starts laughing...ummm hello? Yeah I guess if you are only puking your guts out it is a lot better then dying...wth?! Maybe if I hook her up to a machine she could be a little more sympathetic...

anyway Wednesday they used a Receesd (spelling?) one use dialyzer and yesterday they used a Baxter one use diaylzer..they are going to reuse on Monday. I will have them flush the system with another liter of saline. Hopefully that will help...I am getting scared to go to dialysis lately... :(

xo,
R

1995 - AV Fistula placed
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
calypso

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 09:20:28 AM »

The tech michelle says I can no longer use dry pack dialyzers.

No longer? So you used to use them and you were fine till now? What do you mean by first use syndrome?

You've been on hemo since July 2010?

Who diagnosed you? The tech or a doctor?
Did you talk to your nephrologist about this yet?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 09:21:58 AM by calypso » Logged

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
rsudock
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 12:43:14 PM »

Calypso
The first use syndrome refers to the allergic reaction people have to the artificial kidney. I guess back in the day everyone would get these allergic reactions to the artificial kidneys, but now people who have been dialyzing for awhile, who have not had any problems, can all of a sudden get these allergic reactions....it is very weird. everything I have read so far has been alot of medical jargon so I am a little confused...i will keep researching...

Yes I have been on hemo since July and never had this reaction until now...

yes you're right, I am going to talk to my doc. He called me this morning so I will return his call on D tonight.

I do trust the tech though because she did recognize I was going into anaphlactic shock and saved me, while the nurse just ran around asking other people what she should do....

1995 - AV Fistula placed
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »