I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 06:20:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Hair Loss
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hair Loss  (Read 4973 times)
KathyT1311

« on: August 23, 2010, 05:57:30 PM »

Has anyone had a problem with extreame hair loss since being on PD? I fear I will go bald in a few months at this rate!
carson

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 07:40:32 PM »

funny you should ask...I"m SURE my hair is getting thinner now that I'm on HD

2009 infection treated with Vancomycin and had permacath replaced
2009 septic infection that wouldn't go away
2007 began Nocturnal Home Hemo with Permacath
1997 began Peritoneal Dialysis
1982 had cadaver transplant
1981 diagnosed with GN2 and began Peritoneal Dialysis
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 11:22:42 PM »

Here are some related threads:

Just the Facts: Skin and Hair Problems on Dialysis http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=6983.0

Hair Loss http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=352.0

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 06:28:54 AM »

When I first went on dialysis I lost almost all my hair over time. I was shedding constantly. But that was because I had been so sick and my albumin was really really low. Now that I've been on PD for 9 months my hair is coming back and it's as thick as ever and for some reason now it's curlier. There's hope! Eat your protein.
Mimi
Elite Member

For any who do not like me I use - prayer.

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 08:08:14 AM »

Hi Kathy I am a former hairdresser and through the years many of my customers would lose hair for various reasons.  Our hair and nails are made of a substance called keraitin (which is protein) and it feeds off of our blood.  So of course when you have kidney trouble
it affects our hair because of all the toxins running around our bloodstream.  It could be caused by meds.  Anything that runs in our bloodstream affects our hair and naills.  One of the best things to do iis eats lots of protein since our hair is protein.  You may not
 be getting good clearance of the toxins if you are on PD.  I would talk to my neph, social worker, and nurse.  There are many good things on the market now that help restore hair, ask all of them
to recomend something.  God Bless and good luck.

Love Mimi

Death is not extinguishing the light;
it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
KathyT1311

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 12:12:45 PM »

Thanks all and thanks for the links Okarol! I think it may be because my protien is low but also my parathyroid number has been high too.
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 04:51:14 AM »

Certain medications can also cause hair loss.  Read the side effects of medicines, generaly side effects dont occour.  But one should know what to look for just in case..

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
Marina

God Bless my donor family!! :)

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 03:32:58 PM »

Has anyone had a problem with extreame hair loss since being on PD? I fear I will go bald in a few months at this rate!

Kathy,

I  was  having  extreme  hair loss.   I  told  my  neph  and  she  decided  to  check  my  thyroid  and  all kinds of  other  tests.   Everything  came  back  fine.
She  then  asked  which  multi-vitamin  was  I  taking.   She  had  given  me  an  RX  for  some  type  of  renal  tabs,  but  weren't  covered  by  insurance.
anyways  to  make  a  longer  story  short,  she  told  me  I  could  take  OTC  stress  tabs  (similar  to  renalcaps).   My  hair  stopped  falling out.

"Anything is possible, if  you  BELIEVE....."  ~~~Joel  Osteen

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift..... That is why it is called the present"

Nov 1979 ~ Diabetes 
Apr. 2004- Nov 2010 ~ CAPD
Nov 9, 2010 ~  Received the  THE  GIFT OF LIFE at 
California Pacific  Medical  center  (CPMC)  in San  Francisco,  CA
casper2636

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 04:08:21 PM »

When I started dialysis, I had very thick, hair. It was beautiful. My hair, in time - 1 month- started to come out by the hand full, I just couldn't watch it anymore, so I shaved my head and bought a wig. Now it is starting to grow back, but it is so much thinner than it used to be. I can see through it to my skull. I heard this is very common. I'm told it is one of the effects of dialysis. They say protein. does do wonders for it growing back, and I'm working on that.
Casper2636
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 08:48:52 PM »

How's your iron?

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Ojam

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 07:44:28 PM »

I had some hair loss when I started hemo, it really seemed like a lot actually, but it seems to have slowed down or stopped recently. I do have hair loss in my family too though.

carson

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 05:59:45 AM »

I went out and got myself some protein powder, been drinking one or two each day and now my hairloss has stopped!! YAY!! Now I have to be patient and watch it come back in. My hubby is so upset as he was hoping a variety of wigs would be the solution!

2009 infection treated with Vancomycin and had permacath replaced
2009 septic infection that wouldn't go away
2007 began Nocturnal Home Hemo with Permacath
1997 began Peritoneal Dialysis
1982 had cadaver transplant
1981 diagnosed with GN2 and began Peritoneal Dialysis
KathyT1311

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 12:54:32 PM »

Thanks everyone!! My hair finally has stopped falling out  :clap; :2thumbsup; I just wish it would grow in as fast as it fell out. My albumin was very low and I go see someone about my thyroid in two weeks. Now I have the new problem of having to lose 40 lbs before I can get a transplant. It was only 20 but I was eating every kind of protein and not watching calorie intake that I gained 20lbs in one month. Very sad...but at least my hair isn't falling out into our dinner anymore! :yahoo;
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 12:28:13 AM »

Good Job girl!!! I was going to suggest you try Nioxin shampp and rinse. It helps my hair look "hairier"

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 06:30:17 PM »

My hair was always really thick, but over the years I was on PD, it slowly fell out.  It was very long, and started to look scraggily, so I cut it.  Then, I started HD, and it started coming out in clumps.  After talking to doctors and doing a bit of research, we figured that the anesthetic from the surgeries I'd been having (removal of PD cath, and exploratory to see if I could get another PD cath in) and the amounts of heparin that was being used, both on the HD machine and in the lines, was causing it to come out so much.  They lowered the amount of heparin they were using, and it seemed to slow.  It's still really thin, and it falls out a little bit, but not in the clumps that it was.  I started using Pantene shampoo and conditioner for thin hair, and it seems to be helping.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 06:49:22 PM »

I used Nioxin when mine first started growing back in.  I really think it helped encourage the growth.  Now I use Matrix Biolage, which does wonders for the frizzy fly aways that come with having hair in a million different lengths as it finishes growing back.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »