I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 10:19:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Osteoporosis - since my 20s
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Osteoporosis - since my 20s  (Read 7123 times)
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« on: March 23, 2007, 01:50:40 AM »

I am 32 and was diagnosed with osteoporosis in my mid-late 20's - I wasn't aware at the time that osteo was related to kidney dysfunction. This has been quite a crushing diagnosis, knowing that I cannot reverse the condition, although I believe I can probably attain some improvement. There was a very marginal improvement in my second scan, done 2-3 years after the original (which was done after a broken arm), and now I'm due (over due!) for another scan.

I guess what I want to know is - is osteoporosis a possible reason for the terrible pain I get in my lower back? This is one of the main reasons I had to give up what I was doing - I was a self-employed mobile dog groomer. (I also gave it up due to high levels of exhaustion related to my chronic renal failure.)

I'm wanting to get back to work before the end of the year (am due for a transplant in a matter of weeks) but I'm unable to go back to dog grooming because of my back. This is really depressing for me, because it means going back to administration work.  >:(

Having had so many doctor appointments for so many reasons in recent times, it is one of those simple questions I just never get around to asking. But there are days where I can't bend enough to do basic housework tasks, and I can NEVER do a load of groceries by myself - the lifting of shopping bags into the trolley and the car puts my back into nasty, nasty pain.

My mum seems to be of the opinion that it's probably osteo-arthritis in my spine.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 06:06:20 AM »

Osteoporosis is a pain in the neck, not trying to be funny here, my mom had it so  I know it's not easy living with it.
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 09:36:04 PM »

My back is getting worse all the time. I still keep my house clean, but cannot vaccuum floors. So the floors are pretty grubby, and I find that embarrassing because I'm house proud.

I'm still not sure how much of my back pain, if any, is associated with the osteoporosis. Some gentle exercise keeps me moving, but it doesn't get rid of the pain.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 09:39:43 PM »

My back is getting worse all the time. I still keep my house clean, but cannot vaccuum floors. So the floors are pretty grubby, and I find that embarrassing because I'm house proud.

I'm still not sure how much of my back pain, if any, is associated with the osteoporosis. Some gentle exercise keeps me moving, but it doesn't get rid of the pain.

Weight resistance exercising has been shown to actually improve osteoporosis.  In time, the pain might lessen as well.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 09:47:14 PM »

What is the difference between Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis,  which is what the doctor said i had in my back.  ???

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
tubes

Miss you so much Susie. Will always <3 you!

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 10:01:33 PM »

i completely know what you are going through cycobully.  i started showing signs of osteoporosis when i was about 21.  i was about 5'8 then.  now at 27 im about 5'3.  i didnt work for 5 yrs.  i got a job last july working in a deli at my local grocery store.  then last month i had to quit because i couldnt handle the pain anymore.  my back started going numb and tingly.  it doesnt do it as often now that i dont work.  i do miss everone i worked with.  it was a fun job, just too stressful some days.  its for the best.

i go to the gym once in awhile.  i do the tread mill, cross trainer and light weight training.  i think it helps alot.  i can do house chores.....except i cant get down on my knees to scrub floors and when i do clean i have to take breaks often.  vacuuming hasnt been a problem for me....YET!  one thing that helps out alot....last month i finally hired a maid to do the deep cleaning.  what a god send!  unfortunately since i quit my job last month, i cant afford her to come this month.  :'(

do you take any pain pills when you have really bad days?  i take lortab....as  needed.  it has been several months since ive taken any.   i guess im just use to the pain.

"To be happy is the choice I wish to make in spite of the circumstances that are strewn in my path."

1996 - started incenter hemo
a few months later, started PD
2005 - started incenter hemo
AGAIN
  - on transplant list as of August 7, 2009.
2011/June - 15 years on "D"
Transplant - Tuesday October 18th 2011
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 10:31:05 PM »

What is the difference between Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis,  which is what the doctor said i had in my back.  ???

I would like to know the answer to this also.

And I rarely take any painkillers. None have ever been prescribed, and I'm not a fan of them either. I think, however, it is getting to the point where I may have to. I am hoping to visit my doctor next week and have a real thorough look into the situation.

I had to stop working last April - I was a dog groomer (not sure if I've already said that in this thread) which was extremely hard on my back.
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 03:02:45 AM »

Well I went and saw my GP today to start looking into my back problems. I asked him if it is likely to be related to my osteoporosis, which he couldn't really say.

He is sending me for an X-ray - it's booked for Monday. Basically to make sure my bones aren't just downright crumbling, because he said unless they are at that stage, I shouldn't be feeling it.

I'm also due for another DEXA scan (bone density test) in a couple of weeks, so between the two I guess I'll get a picture of what's going on with the osteo, if nothing else.

It's getting harder and harder to do things around the house, and there are some things I just can't do like cleaning floors and leaning over the oven to bake things. Obviously this will have a huge impact when I return to work, on what I can and cannot do.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 06:43:40 PM »

Cycobully, are you always in pain or just certain times doing certain things,  seems like if i am sitting down, i am fine, but once i get up and start moving around, it is my back that is giving me the worse pain of all, but after walking around a bit, the pain eases until i sit again and try and get up, I have not had the bone scan test done and i am afraid to do it cuz i am afraid of what the results will be  :-\  (yep, i am a big chicken)  :-[

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 09:00:22 PM »

I have not had the bone scan test done and i am afraid to do it cuz i am afraid of what the results will be  :-\  (yep, i am a big chicken)  :-[

Please have it done.  That way, you'll know what shape your bones are in, and then work on a strategy to correct (or at least slow down) the problem.
 8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 08:42:59 AM »

Hi nina - it virtually always hurts, just sometimes more than others. I cannot do certain tasks - such as cleaning floors - at ALL. Ever.

I feel like a 32 year old in a 60 year old body.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »