I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 04:35:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Tiger undergoes dialysis for the first time
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tiger undergoes dialysis for the first time  (Read 1599 times)
RightSide
Elite Member

« on: November 01, 2010, 08:18:47 PM »

Tiger undergoes dialysis in Bhopal for the first time
http://www.newstrackindia.com/newsdetails/184975

ANI

Bhopal

Thu, 14 Oct 2010:

Bhopal, Oct.14 (ANI): Veterinarians in Bhopal are treating a tiger with kidney complication and have placed the feline under dialysis.

Sagar, a tiger, was rescued from a circus in 2006 and taken care at the Van Vihar National Park in Bhopal.

The veterinarian of the park, Dr. Atul Gupta, said at though Sagar's liver has shown a lot of improvement after the treatment, the kidneys didn't show any such sign.

"There was some complication in the tiger's kidney and liver. Though it was under treatment but the level of creatine and urea in its blood was increasing day by day. Then it was decided that dialysis should be performed and therefore Dr. Sanjay Gupta, an expert is performing it," said Dr. Atul Gupta.

He also informed that it is the first ever instance of any animal belonging to the feline family being put under dialysis for treatment of its kidney.

"For the first time such thing is being performed in the feline family and when kidney stops performing then it becomes very important to perform dialysis if we have to save the animal," said Dr. Atul Gupta.

Doctors claim that after going through routine dialysis Sagar's condition has improved and they hope that very soon it would go back into its habitat at the Van Vihar National Park and not the cage of the hospital. By Ram Chand Sahu (ANI)

[
Here's a video of the tiger being dialyzed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trkt9DGxy00
]
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 09:52:34 PM »

So....will the tiger continue to be dialyzed, or was this a one-off treatment?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 06:54:20 PM »

cute kitty. a bit big for my bed though. I could imagine dragging him into dialysis and making him sit for 5 hours!!  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »