I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 10:34:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Nope you're not using that on me !
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nope you're not using that on me !  (Read 2024 times)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« on: November 04, 2010, 02:35:21 PM »

How much is a small bag of saline? approx 500ml if that ? Is it worth more than gold ? No ? are you sure? because tonight ive really dug my heels in over one ! We have a young, recent to dialysis nurse started on our unit this week and she was assigned to put me on today (luckily im well aware of how thats done ..neck cath) Anyway she put me on ok. During my session someone knocked this small bag of saline off the trolley and it stayed on the floor all session. Now this is used to flush my lines after D , they draw it up with a syringe. So what does she do but pick it up and put it ready for using, i said NO way are you using that on me. Why? she said , i've wiped the port. I said i dont care its been on the floor, people have been walking around with their 'outdoor' shoes on so you can bin it , this is my lifeline, nevermind the fact its sealed , you are going to put sterile gloves on to take me off and then pick this bag up to draw off the saline ..well no way , you can bin it ! She then started to try and lecture me on the cost of it , to which i replied , i dont care how much it costs you are not using that on me ! Silly mistakes like this cost lives !!!

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 02:54:34 PM »

You tell her, Ricky G!! :2thumbsup;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 03:16:27 PM »

I would have exactly the same thing.  In my unit, anything that hits the floor, from a band aid or gauze still in the wrapper, to a roll of tape, it's garbaged.  They do up packs for putting people on and taking them off, and anything not used in the pack has to be thrown away, even if it wasn't opened.  I was told that anything taken off the supply cart can't be put back.  I've been given things that were taken off the supply cart by mistake, things that can still be used, but they're not allowed to put it back.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 03:38:33 PM »

Good on you, KS...

I'd be EXACTLY the same!...

And when they say 'It's not a problem", I reply "Okay, give me that in writing from the hospital's Legal Dept... If they'll take responsibility, I'll let you go ahead with it"... Usually sorts it!... Terrible that you have to...

When Mum was very ill a couple of years ago, they were about to put a lady who had Gastro-Enteritis in the next bed to her, I flipped... Refused POINT BLANK to allow Mum to be put at that kind of risk... The excuse was that they'd no single room available to put the lady into, so "This was the best we could do"...

Now, I found out that this particular staff member's mum was on the same ward, AND there was an empty bed beside her... You can see where this is going, can't you???.. I said "Well if it's not a problem, why not put her beside YOUR sick mum, not mine... If your mum doesn't catch it in the next 72 hours, we can discuss it again "... Sorted... Lady was in Isolation in minutes!...

For goodness sake, we shouldn't have to do battle to be safe in hospital...

Keep at 'em, KS... One day they'll get the message!....

Love to the pawed people...

Darth...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 04:05:27 PM »

Its crazy isnt it , a simple little thing like that and what the results could be !  I think hospitals are the worst places to catch something , the sooner i get in and out + masses of hand gel the better !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 04:13:41 PM »

Well done, Ms. Kickstart! :clap; Brava!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 04:33:28 PM »

:Kit n Stik;

Best Wielding of Stick Award goes to KickStart today!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 04:35:59 PM »

That's just it, KS....

A friend who's a doctor says that the very worst place to be when you're sick is in a hospital!...

Keep it going KS... I'm proud of you!!!!....

Darth...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 05:02:01 PM »

:Kit n Stik;

Best Wielding of Stick Award goes to KickStart today!

:wine;  I would just like to say a big thankyou to ...picks up award and bows ... :rofl;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »