I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2024, 06:24:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  What Do Caregivers Need?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What Do Caregivers Need?  (Read 6640 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: August 26, 2010, 11:08:30 PM »

What Do Caregivers Need?

By Wendy Funk Schrag, LMSW, ACSW

Editor's Note: This article was developed by a renal social worker. It contains the responses of several dialysis caregivers during an informal survey. The caregivers were asked what stresses they face and what support is available. The responses were given by spouses, a daughter and a mother of dialysis patients.

Caring for a person can be a difficult job. There is no monetary reward for being "on call" 24 hours a day, seven days a week. To thrive as a caregiver, instead of just survive as a caregiver, one has to be a care receiver.

Often, other caregivers are the best people to give and receive care for each other. Several years ago, I started a caregiver support group at one of our dialysis clinics after observing the stress of caregivers. This group evolved into a Patient Family Council.

Although caregivers may arrive at the dialysis clinic tired and worn out, they always seem to find energy to help others. They greet new patients and families, plan fun activities such as a picnic or a Christmas party. They know the stress that patients and family members are under and always try to make the clinic a fun and supportive place. They have found the secret to thriving as caregivers: giving and receiving care. The Stresses of the Caregiver

Dialysis caregivers identified the following stresses:

*  Not enough time for own activities.
    *  Need space to simply relax and re-group.
    *  Difficulty being "on call" 24 hours a day.
    *  Feelings of helplessness when unable to make the situation better or the pain go away.
    *  Difficulty in determining if patient complaints are serious.
    *  Feeling overwhelmed with responsibility.
    *  Unable to share feelings and concerns with others.
    *  Handling the daily financial responsibilities and arrangements.
    *  Hiding problems in order to avoid upsetting the person being cared for.
    *  Not knowing how to respond when the person being cared for doesn't want to go to dialysis.
    *  It hurts to see how hard dialysis is on my spouse and to see him not be able to do what he wants and likes to do.
    *  Having to cancel plans.

Most of the caregivers indicate a need to have a day off occasionally. Most caregivers are very devoted to the person for whom their caring, but indicate that if they do not receive some time to relax and take care of themselves, resentment starts to build. Although the resentment is really towards the illness, it may be expressed through anger towards the person for whom they are caring. Caregivers have also shared feelings of not being understood by the patient.

Dialysis Staff

*  Can the dialysis staff be supportive to caregivers, and if so, how? Our caregivers responded:
    *  Caregivers can take a break while the patient is on dialysis.
    *  Sometimes just kindness and understanding is all that is needed from the dialysis staff.
    *  Compassion and empathy from the staff are important.
    *  It would help if the staff explained new procedures.
    *  The staff should listen to the patient and caregiver.
    *  The staff should keep things that are talked about confidential.
    *  It's helpful to simply have someone to contact when a problem arises.
    *  Staff members should take time to answer questions.

The caregiver is an extension of the healthcare team. Although the patient is the one who generally receives instructions about how to take care of himself, it is often the caregiver who makes sure the patient follows medication dosages, diet restrictions, the dialysis schedule and countless other tasks. The caregiver experiences stress over the responsibility associated with keeping the patient healthy. Dialysis staff members should make a point to involve the caregiver in the care instructions. Dialysis facilities with strict visitation policies hinder this from happening. One daughter of a patient who transferred to our clinic commented that she finally understood the dialysis treatment since she was now able to observe the treatment. It is especially important when patients live with their caregivers that they understand as much about the treatment as possible.

Help From Other Caregivers

Often, the greatest source of strength and support comes from those in the same situation. When asked what help the caregivers have received from other dialysis caregivers, they listed the following:

*  We have the same problems. This makes it easy to talk.
    *  It helps when caring develops between family members and dialysis patients at the clinic.
    *  It is helpful just to listen to each other.

Caregiver Support Groups

Are caregiver support groups helpful?

*  The group is helpful as long as people get past anger and complaints.
    *  The groups may be especially helpful for new patients and family members.
    *  Support groups help people to understand they are not alone.
    *  Support groups provide people with insight into what others do to maintain a normal lifestyle.

Additional Caregiving Tips

Here are some additional tips:

* Patience is very important.
    * Maintain a good sense of humor.
    * Don't take insults from the person you care for too personally.
    * Be there for all the patients while at the dialysis clinic, not just the one for whom you are caring.
    * Listen and talk to the patients.
    *  Understand and accept that those you are caring for may have difficulties making adjustments.
    *  Just decide that you are there with your loved one and will be there when they need you.

And lastly, a very heartfelt example of the difficulties of caregiving. This caregiver found that focusing on others helped take her mind off her own situation:

"I hated it when my spouse got sick because I felt we would lose everything we worked so hard for. He was so down on himself because he always worked and brought home a very good paycheck. I worked because I wanted to, not because I had to. Now I had to work because I had to. When I got sick, I couldn't work. Then I felt there was no use trying because we just kept getting behind, couldn't get caught up. But then I started getting involved with others and I learned we weren't alone. There were others worse than we were. So one night, I got down on my knees and asked God to help me understand and guide me in what He wanted me to do. So now we pay what we can and do what we can for others. I worry but I just go and help someone else. Then I feel good about myself and hate no one. I read and try to help others, the way others have helped me. I only wish the people, family and friends would get more involved and understand the problems and concerns of the patient and the caregiver. Because when you go from having something to having nothing, it is very hard. I've learned that I have to be there for others because there was someone for me."

Ms. Schrag is a Patient Services Manager and dialysis social worker for Renal Care Group. She wishes to thank the following caregivers who contributed to this article: Donna Bruner, Fontella Budden, Dorothy Fiskin, Dee Hawkins and Donna Suiter.

This article originally appeared in November 2001 aakpRENALIFE, Vol. 17, No. 3.

http://www.aakp.org/aakp-library/what-do-caregivers-need/index.cfm

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 05:43:25 AM »

For me, what an appropriate time to read this.  Bless you, Okarol, for posting it today. 

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 05:21:04 PM »

Wow!!!!!!  this is amazing and so right on....  THANK you so much okarol for sharing.. and Looney,  (ok, looneytunes does sound more appropriate than just LOONEY..lol) , i thought of you right away when i read this.. Glad ya saw it too :-)  Hope lifes looking a bit better for ya...

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 05:36:48 PM »

The section for what the caregivers need is right on! I often struggle with not knowing if the problems are aerious or not. I was so glad to see I wasn't alone.

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
The Noob

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 04:29:50 AM »

i nodded my head YES to the whole article! right on, every word!!!
greg10

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »

What Do Caregivers Need?
Flu shots? or good sense of humor?  I am not sure which one is more important   :)
.. may be a flu shot with some nitrous oxide ..
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 03:36:57 PM by greg10 » Logged

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 05:48:11 PM »

I'm just thinking here lol, I think the caregiver needs everyone to worship the ground they walk on. Saints!

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »

What Do Caregivers Need?

A foot massage  :2thumbsup;

aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 01:58:19 PM »

This caregiver... needs... ...sleep... ...It has been the week from hell.

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »

This carer could do with a Valium sandwich!!!!!.... This planned op isopening up a nice can of worms... Now that Mary the Community Nurse has arranged for Mum to go into a specific nursing home, she's getting a bit weepy.... Oh Lord!!!!....

Mind you, I haven't told her the 'best bit' yet, and I may leave that dubious pleasure to Mary... The Respite placement is open-ended... She thinks it's set for a week, two at the most, but as I've heart problems, and a significant disability, there's no knowing how this op will go... So if I end up in hospital for longer than planned, she'll be well looked after.... I'm not telling her that she could be longer than she thinks, though!!!!....

About that Valium sandwich, may I have a bucket of brandy to wash it down with!!!....

Darth...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 06:02:04 PM »

I think maybe you need to make it a picnic with you and your mum!  Valium sandwiches and whiskey all round! 
 :wine;

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 01:18:10 AM »

Thanks Nat.....

Thing is, I never drank alcohol... LOL!!!!!....

Love...

Darth....

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
Yvonne

Yvonne

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 03:59:47 AM »

Being very selfish I would have it all back today if I could have my John back. I wish I could take back all the moaning I did, it never entered my head that he would die, we never spoke about what if.
So what us carers need is some sort of suport to try to deal with this big empty space in our lives.

2007- since January 2007 carer to my husband John who has the following, allways been a very fit man up till then.
2007 - January Renal failure
2007 - March Diagnosed with a Horseshoe kidney and bladder cancer.
2007 - June One kidney, Prostrate and Bladder removed with stage 4 cancer. Urostomy
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 07:02:13 AM »

Yvonne.....

Good to see you again... And you're right... There's a terrible void left behind when the person you're caring for dies....

The Carers Allience in Ireland are in discussions with the state agencies in order to try to set up some sort of post-caring support... You know, things like job training, moral support, etc... I hope it bears fruit, I've often felt how empty my life will be when my caring responsibilites end...

Hope you're doing okay(ish)...

Love...

Darth...

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 10:23:27 AM »

I would be happy just to have someone ask how I feel and how I'm coping, and then actually listen to my response.  It would be fabulous if the person asking was Blokey.  Yes, we have had an argument. Yes, I have said something I shouldn't have.  Ho-hum.

;D < because if I didn't, I'd cry.

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 10:58:30 PM »

Saying Thank You for the little things.

I thank my husband every time he takes me to dialysis at 7:30 at night and then picks me up at 3:30 in the morning.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 01:07:37 AM »

Saying Thank You for the little things.

I thank my husband every time he takes me to dialysis at 7:30 at night and then picks me up at 3:30 in the morning.

Love that hubby of yours!  :-*

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »