I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 10:21:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Newbie and overwhelmed...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newbie and overwhelmed...  (Read 3742 times)
Lovebelle

« on: October 14, 2010, 02:02:43 PM »

Hello all...I am completely new to this and am sitting here writing this from my room at the hospital. I am 31 and have had hypertension since I was 19yrs old. They never could figure out why and to this day I am not sure why they didnt look further into my history. Anyway, my BP has been fairly under control over the years until recently. As part of my routine work up my physician ordered labs and a kidney ultrasound. My ultrasound showed a cyst on my right and that both kidneys were very small. Later I went and had my labs drawn and my creatinine was at 7.9 and BUN 79. My doctor scheduled me with a nephrologist but in the meantime ordered repeat labs and my creatinine went up to 8.9. After conferring I was direct admitted to the hospital yesterday and it has been a whirlwind!

I received a Quentin catheter placed in my neck and received my first treatment of dialysis. It was a "gentle" round and lasted only 2 hrs, but in the last 10 minutes I experienced the worst leg cramps of my life. Needless to say I was terrified to go to dialysis again today for 3 hrs and experienced cramping again. I am terrified to go to dialysis again because the cramping is unbelievable. Tomorrow Im suppose to go into surgery to get a PD catheter placed and a fistual formed for backup. I havent slept more than 20 minutes at a time since yesterday and am OVERWHELMED as this is alot being thrown at me at once.

So thats the brief abbreviated introduction to me and trying to absorb all of this. I realized I cant even begin to prepare myself mentally for the longterm ramifications of this and admit Im scared to death. I am a medical professional (nurse) so I understand the disease process but no matter how much education you have, I never thought I would be on the "other side" of things.

Thanks for reading :)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 02:15:19 PM »

Of course you are overwhelmed.  Why wouldn't you be?  You've really been thrown into the deep end, but you know what?  There are so many people on this forum who are very good at being lifeguards and at throwing you a lifeline when you need it.

I'm not a doctor, but I suspect that since kidneys play a vital role in regulating blood pressure and since yours are congenitally small, chances are THAT is the reason behind your hypertension and your subsequent renal failure.  High BP damages kidneys, and damaged kidneys cannot regulate bp as well, so bp goes up and that damages your kidneys, and...well, you get the picture.

Unbelievable leg cramps are common in dialysis, but by what I have read on this forum, they are far less likely (and may not occur at all, if I understand correctly) when you are on PD.

And you are right...no amount of education can fully prepare you for what you've been through, but education will help enormously in getting your through the next few months.  The longterm ramifications are indeed profound.

Welcome to our community; we CAN and WILL help!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
carol1987

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 02:18:05 PM »

:grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; Oh Lovebelle.... I feel so bad for you... I just started dialysis and have had a few years to prepare myself and it is still overwhelming!!!

The cramping I believe is because they are taking too much water out of you... and your dry weight has been reached.  But there are others who have been on D  and on this site longer than me with much more knowledge and experience who will give you advice!!

I am still trying to come to terms with being a patient myself.... but here you will find people who have been on dialysis for years.... up to 20+ who are living happy , active lives!!

Welcome :welcomesign; This is a great place for information and support!!!

Carol in NJ

Diagnosed with  PKD July 2002 (no family history)
Fistula placed April 2009
Placed on Transplant list April 2009
Started HD 10/6/10
Transplanted 1/6/11 (Chain Transplant My altruistic donor was  "Becky from Chicago" , and DH Mike donated on my behalf and the chain continued...)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 03:48:55 PM »

So sorry Lovebelle (cute name!) that you're going through this. It's not uncommon to be blindsided by the kidney failure diagnosis, but it sucks just the same.
I wonder about getting both accesses. Seems nowadays they don't like to have a fistula going if you aren't going to use it, relying on PD to start. The back up would be the chest catheter. The heart can be damaged by the fistula pressure so now they often remove it after a transplant. There are news stories about it in our news section, I will have to look for them. Check with a nephrologist, perhaps he feels differently.
Best wishes to you. Welcome.
 :welcomesign;

okarol/admin

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Lovebelle

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 06:08:12 PM »

Thanks for everyone's kind words! Its encouraging to have a place to vent or even research other peoples experience.

I questioned the need for a fistula in addition to the PD catheter. But it seems both the vascular surgeon and nephrologist are in agreement when it comes to that plan of action. I admit Im not exactly thrilled about the Fistula placement at all, but I suppose I can see their argument. Im praying that PD will work so well that I wont have to worry about it for a long time.

Im trying to not think about the 4 hr Hemodialysis tomorrow morning before surgery. Sitting in those chairs is torture and while I understand the need to elevate feet, it is hard laying like that for a long time. My nephrologist did say however that they will not be drawing any fluids off tomorrow, so Im praying the cramping will be at a minimum.

Thanks again for the support  :flower;
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 07:04:12 PM »

wow,,, i feel for ya. Im so glad you found your way here though because just haveing this support will truly help you .  Amazing people with lots of knowledge...

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 09:00:27 PM »

:welcomesign; Lovebelle,

I used to get horrible leg cramps long before dialysis - it is a sign of kidney failure. Can you drink as normal? If so, have a glass of tonic water before dialysis. If you are fluid restricted, ask your nephrologist about quinine capsules. I took them up until my transplant and would not be caught anywhere without them. They are not supposed to work very well once cramp is upon you, but I found that I could swallow one in the middle of the night (when they loved to hit) and within minutes I was back asleep. I've been told that the US will not sell them anymore, so you may need to order them from Canada. (Assuming you are in the US?) I had horrible stomach cramp when they tried to take fluid off that just was not there. It was unlike anything I've ever felt before and positively excruciating - my legs were never bothered, though.

Good luck!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 09:19:30 PM »

I questioned the need for a fistula in addition to the PD catheter. But it seems both the vascular surgeon and nephrologist are in agreement when it comes to that plan of action. I admit Im not exactly thrilled about the Fistula placement at all, but I suppose I can see their argument. Im praying that PD will work so well that I wont have to worry about it for a long time.

You do have a choice.
Are you planning to try for a transplant?

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 10:18:26 PM »

G'day Lovebelle and  :welcomesign;. If they take 3+ litres off me, the cramps arrive both on dialysis and the succeeding night. Take off 2.8, all is well. Dialysis extends our lives but it brings with a number of trials and tribulations. You'll get an astonishing amount of comradeship and good advice here. Good luck and stick around.

Galvo
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 01:40:48 AM »

Welcome Lovebelle - what a cute name  :2thumbsup; :yahoo; :cuddle;

Wow, you've had it come on all rather suddenly haven't you? I can't imagine how that is for you. Just know that many of us here understand at least some of what you're going through and can offer our experience and support. Hopefully you will find this as a community you can come and find people who understand much of what you're dealing with - specially when friends and family perhaps can't.

I send you *hugs* - those leg cramps are horrible - I think all of us have been there (though I also find it unusual for a cramp during an initial session, when fluid usually is not removed).

it could well be that you do not need fluid off at this point - are you still creating a lot of urine? You may well be a bit dry as it is. They should really go through some processes to ascertain more clearly what your dry weight is and how much (if any) excess fluid you might be carrying.

Yes, the chairs are horrible - see if you can get your own pillows and blankets to make you more comfy - that's what most of us do.

re the fistula - I know you don't want it, but it really is a very normal procedure, even if you might decide to try PD or some other modality prior to transplant. It is the best form of access to have, and honestly the surgery is pretty minor and nothing much to worry about. It is a very good idea to have it because you can't have a chest catheter for a long time (high infection risk and they are not as good as fistulas anyway in terms of blood flow etc) and if the catheter fails you need that fistula there to be able to have dialysis.

Hang in there, and remember we're here for you!

RichardMEL, Moderator

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 12:29:57 PM »

Hi Lovabelle and welcome to IHD.  Sorry you've been thrown into this but you've found a great place to ground yourself (along with a little education, support and some fun).  My husband was on PD for a while and there was no cramping with it. 

I'm looking forward to seeing your posts.

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 02:05:27 PM »

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 07:42:37 PM »

Welcome to our community, Lovebelle!!  I am so glad that you found us!  This is just the place for you to be - information, support and encouragement.  Above all, a group of people who really know what you are going through.  For example, those cramps!  HORRIBLE!!!  I have been on dialysis for 5 years and every now and then, I have to deal with cramps.  At least, now  I am more aware of when they are starting up and I call the nurse quickly.
Please consider this site your new family  :grouphug;  You will soon find what a caring and sharing group we are.  Just keep reading and keep posting.

Bajanne, Moderator

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Lovebelle

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 06:12:26 PM »

Thanks to everyone for their support and hugs. I am still in the hospital and dialysis has been a little better. Luckily they have allowed me to sit upright which makes a huge difference and They stopped removing fluid so the cramping has stopped YAY!!

I went into surgery on Friday and have been a bit out of it since then. They placed the fistula on my left arm and a PD catheter. The incision is pretty discreet and think the surgeon did well. Unfortunately my Temp has been elevated all day yesterday and today. Not sure why though. I am also very anemic right now and they are debating whether they want to give me blood (and as result introduce me to a strangers antibodies). If my levels keep dropping I honestly dont think we have a choice.

Anyway, Im going to rest since I feel really exhausted but wanted to thank all of you :)
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 10:56:15 PM »

thanks for the thanks - was wondering how you were doing. Yeah, you want to try and avoid that blood transfusion if possible because of the antibodies - hope you can!! Have they given you anything like EPO to stimulate your own red blood cells????

fingers crossed that things improve for you. You can always get hugs here (I'm a sucker for a name like Lovebelle!!) :)

27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 01:28:29 AM »

Hi Lovabelle, I'm glad you are feeling better but what an experience you went through. You sound very brave to me. I think you got the leg cramps because they took off too much fluid and although I have the same kidney failure as yours I didn't get cramps. I think your doctors are right setting you up for PD and putting in a fistula as well. It gives you more options and better choices.
I had the same treatment.
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 02:28:41 AM »

:cuddle; Hugs for you, Lovebelle. Some of us have had years to 'get ready' and it is still always a shock. Welcome to IHD and the wonderful support it offers. The more you learn the better equipped you'll be to manage and cope with all this. Keep us posted on your progress.

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
Lovebelle

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 05:58:33 PM »

thanks for the thanks - was wondering how you were doing. Yeah, you want to try and avoid that blood transfusion if possible because of the antibodies - hope you can!! Have they given you anything like EPO to stimulate your own red blood cells????

fingers crossed that things improve for you. You can always get hugs here (I'm a sucker for a name like Lovebelle!!) :)

Today they started doubling the amount of EPO they are giving me. My Hgb is down to 7.0 and they are still avoiding transfusions (which is fine with me). Today was a bit rough and have felt  a bit out of it and lightheaded. But I am so happy with my doctors and they all have been wonderful so far. Luckily I also work at the hospital I am in because treatment has been outstanding (I like to think all patients get the same level of care).
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 07:15:25 AM »

fingers crossed you can get your hemoglobin up over 10 ASAP!!! Glad they are taking good care of you :)

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »