I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 15, 2024, 03:30:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Supercath CLS
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Supercath CLS  (Read 4320 times)
Peter Fraser

Upside-down down under

« on: February 05, 2006, 01:05:39 PM »

Hi again,

I have been on dialysis for 14 months, in the unit I am attending, the RN's needle us in the majority, using 15 or 16 guage needles. I met a visiting dialysis patient from canada, he self canulated and he uses a needle called a Supercath CLS. this was similar to small IV needles. These needles have a teflon sheath with an inner regular needle, upon insertion the needle part is removed leaving the sheath. This patient also did a thing called button holing. I was very interested in this technique, it improves pump speed by upto one third causes less to no pain and he was able to do it all himself without some @#$*&G nurse missing the vessel. As some one who has had up to 9 attempts at getting needles in by incompetant nursing staff I was VERY interested in this new technology from Canada, I am interested to hear from anyone, anywhere who knows more about this approach.

regards
Peter Fraser
Upside down down under :-\

Peter Fraser
Upside down down under
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 02:35:02 PM »

Hi again,

I have been on dialysis for 14 months, in the unit I am attending, the RN's needle us in the majority, using 15 or 16 guage needles. I met a visiting dialysis patient from canada, he self canulated and he uses a needle called a Supercath CLS. this was similar to small IV needles. These needles have a teflon sheath with an inner regular needle, upon insertion the needle part is removed leaving the sheath. This patient also did a thing called button holing. I was very interested in this technique, it improves pump speed by upto one third causes less to no pain and he was able to do it all himself without some @#$*&G nurse missing the vessel. As some one who has had up to 9 attempts at getting needles in by incompetant nursing staff I was VERY interested in this new technology from Canada, I am interested to hear from anyone, anywhere who knows more about this approach.

regards
Peter Fraser
Upside down down under :-\

I have been sticking my own needles for many years now. I use a semi-button hole technique. I have very little pain and I have NEVER infiltrated myself since I know exactly where the needle is going. Do a search on this forum there is a thread about patients who stick themselves. I would never go back to letting someone stick me. I get it right the first time ALWAYS. About the Pump speed, I reach 400 to 450 speed on my blood pump. Even when I use a new spot of my fistula. So the buttonhole technique has no bearing on the pump speed.

I reccomend everyone try to stick themselves it is so easy and you will never let anyone stick you again.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
kevno

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 10:31:31 AM »

Easy to Stick yourself?  No Chance! No Way! I have enough problems with the nurses sticking me with one needle.  I have the greatest respect for patients who can put the needles in themselves. All I can do is get the machine ready, take bp, wt, Temp and pulse. Then I can not even touch the pack that the needles are in. That is up to the nurses to do. Used to get the pack ready when my lines where being used. This Needle Phobia I just can not overcome.  The only thing I have never beaten as a renal patient, you would think it would be the easiest.  I don't know, just to many bad memories take over from when I was a child on Haemo.

Kevno
(too many bad memories, not a lot of good memories)

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »