I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 04:13:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  new to site not to dialysis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: new to site not to dialysis  (Read 2124 times)
catfish10

« on: October 16, 2010, 11:21:39 AM »

my name is sheinalee, im 29 and have been on dialysis for 6 1/2 years.  i have had two liver transplants 1st when i was 8 and the 2nd when i was 9.  my kidneys function started to deteriorate aproximately 13 years after the 2nd liver transplant due to antirejection medication toxicity.  i currently do hd in center 3xweek for 3 hours.  in the last two years i have had two parathyroid hormones removed due to a hyperactive parathyroid, i have to have the other two out because my PTH is still in the 2500's.  i have gone through many catheters and now have a button hole fistula which i must say makes it easier to get in the water still either for surfing or swimming even just bathing.  however the needle pricks are painful and make me dread treatment daily.  im having such a hard time believing i will get a kidney as ive waited this long and not gotten a phone call or stir of hope that one is coming my way.  neither of my parents have volunteered their kidneys which makes me feel even more depressed and of lately i have been contemplating stopping dialysis and going into hospice.  im sure everyone in here has felt like throwing in the towel at some point.  it just feels as though there is no hope.
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 03:54:09 PM »

G'day catfish10 and :welcomesign;. As the button holes develop, the pain of needling should recede as should your dread of daily treatment. I've had my button holes for a while now and I'm happy to not use any form of local. Yes, you are right. We all get into that dark place at times and wonder if it's all worth while. I just seem to blunder on, one day at a time. I find this site the best therapy there is. I hope it proves the same for you. Stick around a while with us.

Galvo
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 04:59:36 PM »

hello and welcome catfish10   :welcomesign;  Im so sorry your in that 'place' right now.  Im just the caregiver, but i tell you, i have been there myself with this desiese.  I feard it and what it ment to my life (as in i am very attached to my hubby and dont want to loose him)  If it wernt for IHD, i honestly dont know where we'ed be.  It has given me strength, knowledge, and courage to fight on because i know that it's worth it.  I hope you too find some good hope and friendships here to make it not seem so dreadfuly awful...  All the best, and it sounds like you have lots you can share, jump on in and lend a hand  :cuddle;

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 07:35:48 PM »

Welcome to our community!  Please, you are too young to consider hospice!  You are the same age as my daughter, and at 60 I refuse to give up.  Please don't!  This is a lovely site for information, support and encouragement. I admit that you have been dealt a difficult hand, but I continue to be amazed at the human spirit.  This is what this site is for - we have become a genuine family :grouphug; caring and sharing.  So you just keep reading and keep posting.

Bajanne, Moderator

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
cloud393

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 08:32:56 PM »

welcome to the site!  i know it doesn't seem like it but, it  will get better.

May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 10:06:18 PM »

Welcome catfish. Not too sure how to respond to that intro - I can totally understand where you are coming from being so long waiting, and seemingly no donors for you. Have you asked your parents why they won't offer?(a touchy subject, for sure....)... that seems really odd - and sad really :( Of course they may not be able to donate for any number of reasons, but the fact of actually offering would be positive.

It's funny, but there's that old saying about things happening when you never really expect them. We have an IHD example right here of a member who was told her chances of getting a match were minimal and she should expect a long wait for a kidney (and this after 4 years of waiting patiently).... not 3 months later? 5/6 kidney is hers!! So, it does happen!

Hang in there, keep living your life, swimming, surfing etc we're here for you!

RichardMEL, Moderator

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 11:02:42 PM »

:welcomesign;  i think you will find that this is a good place to have landed.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
catfish10

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 08:35:23 AM »

G'day catfish10 and :welcomesign;. As the button holes develop, the pain of needling should recede as should your dread of daily treatment. I've had my button holes for a while now and I'm happy to not use any form of local. Yes, you are right. We all get into that dark place at times and wonder if it's all worth while. I just seem to blunder on, one day at a time. I find this site the best therapy there is. I hope it proves the same for you. Stick around a while with us.

thank you for the warm welcome, i definitely appreciate it. this site feels like i have found a home with people who understand my strife. 
carol1987

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 11:37:59 AM »

Hi Catfish!!   :cuddle; I hear you!! So many ups and downs on this journey... hang in there!!!!
There will be many more good days!!!

Diagnosed with  PKD July 2002 (no family history)
Fistula placed April 2009
Placed on Transplant list April 2009
Started HD 10/6/10
Transplanted 1/6/11 (Chain Transplant My altruistic donor was  "Becky from Chicago" , and DH Mike donated on my behalf and the chain continued...)
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 02:20:27 PM »

Welcome to the group, Sheinalee.  Lots of great information and friends here.  Glad you joined!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »