I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2024, 10:26:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  thankful for support.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: thankful for support.  (Read 6760 times)
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010, 10:42:24 PM »

He had me at his bedtime stories with the ex.

Galvo
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2010, 01:28:20 AM »

RM you've got a row of us all lined up like the kids in grandma's feather bed, waiting for our spiked milo and bedtime story. 
Rev it up mate.

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2010, 02:01:04 AM »

RM...are you sure about that special coffee? I've been sticking to wine, given beer and spirits up...so do you have that coffee yourself?
Tell us all the recipe.
I think the tragedy that I've noticed on this site is that there are people who just don't care about their condition (which to my mind is their choice) but who should think more about the effect on their nearest and dearest of their decisions.
I also have come to believe that it is harder on the carer than the patient in these situations.
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2010, 05:41:34 AM »

Thinking about you Tex, I think all care givers live on a knife's edge. I certainly do. Men what would you do with them. Sorry fellows I know you are all not the same, but most of you are .Ha Ha
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2010, 05:52:07 AM »

bedtime stories with the ex?? Mostly milo with baileys - helped her sleep better than my stories could!!!  :rofl;

As for the special coffees - no I do not really indulge - both for fluid reasons, and potassium reasons (coffee is a reasonable source of K). I limit myself to one long mac @ work (only ~100ml fluid, but two shots) during the week and that's enough K I think. I am happy to make various coffees for those that are NOT restricted though. Let me see, Russian (with vodka - absolut of course), Jamacan (tia maria), Irish (baileys or whiskey), Italian (galiano) and girlie (Kahula) :) As I said though.

Back on topic I do tend to agree that it probably is harder for caregivers - just for that sense of helplessness they must feel - even if their patient is 100% complliant and all that there's still that feeling that there's NOTHING you can do to fix this or make it better. Well not nothing, given you can cook renal friendly stuff, and help in a million small ways, but I am sure that general feeling of helplessness must be there. I feel that way when MY friends are in strife and I wish I could do something to help, make it better, or whatever. Right now I feel that way about TS and wishing I could do something to turn things around so that Mike would look after himself better!!!

In this respect I guess I am glad I am single... I'm not dragging anyone else into my burden. Yes, of course I have family and friends who care, but it's not the same as a wife or full time carer (and I don't think my cat qualifies - though she might disagree!). Yes, it sucks sometimes not having someone there to help me through it all, but at the same time I would feel horrid putting that ON someone.

Anyway, I like everyone else here are thinking of everyone who is in this sort of situation and hoping for the best - but specially for TexasStyle.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2010, 06:58:55 AM »

That's what makes this forum so great.  We are all there for each other.  (and of course our collective dreams about RM and the coffee, bedtime whatever and that "perfect" man  :rofl;).

TX...you stepping back is the best answer for YOU.  It's hard to do and even harder to maintain but it will save your sanity.  I get furious when I think of the days ahead for us that will have even more complications than we already have because of the choices our loved ones make.  But, if I dwell on that too long, I can't be helpful in a "cheery way" when asked.  The resentment would eat me alive.  So I trust that I am in this place because that's where I am supposed to be and mind my own businenss as much as I possibly can.    I remind myself that I am in this by choice and as tough as it gets, I love the man I married and will do all I can to make sure he has the best quality of life that he allows himself to have. 

Now I can come back and re-read this the next time I'm ready to scream or tear my hair out.   :banghead;

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »