I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 02:29:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Reaction to bicarbonates?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reaction to bicarbonates?  (Read 3427 times)
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« on: December 09, 2006, 03:42:04 PM »

When I am put on to HDF (Haemo Dialysis Filtration) I react badly to it.  It feels like there is a rush to my head, my face goes all red and I can feel the pressure building up in my face and my nurse puts me upside down in my chair and takes me out of HDF.

But, when they dialyse me normally for 15 mins then put me in HDF, I have no reaction.  One of the nurses said this could be to do with bicarbonate as it is the only thing that is different to the dialysing fluid.  Can someone tell me what this means and why would I react like this?

SCOTLAND NO.1
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 09:17:07 PM »

Maybe you have an allergy to the fibers in the dialyzer.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
AlasdairUK

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 06:59:42 AM »

Hi Matty,

It is not the dialyzer as it will be the same between HDF and conventional HD. Are you doing pre or post HDF. Pre HDF is when the water is diluted before it goes in the kidney and post is when the water is mixed to the blood after it has gone through the kidney.

Post offers beter clearence while pre is more gentle on the heart with removing fluid. I use Post Haemodiafiltration.

I know when I first started HDF from HD I felt drained and this was due to the increase removal of middle size particles. I quickly adjusted and feel healthier than when I was on HD. Really do try to do HDF as it is IMO the best form of dialysis at the moment.

I will ask at my unit tonight about your systems as they have been using HDF for a while. I thought the bicarb was used to reduce the acidity of our blood and to bring the bicarb level up as it is generally on the low side with the body being in an acid state.

Do you use the Fresenius 5008 machine?

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 02:41:32 PM »

Hi Alasdair,

No, we use Gambro AK 200 Ultra or Gambro AK 200 Ultra - S  Machines at my unit.

SCOTLAND NO.1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »