I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 08:18:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Just got a Baxter cycler some questions
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just got a Baxter cycler some questions  (Read 3242 times)
komomai

« on: October 02, 2010, 04:21:12 PM »

Aloha, I just brought home the Baxter cycler and UV machine.  Since I'm in Okinawa, Japan, I'm dealing with Baxter Japan. 

First question I have is the connection line, mine is only about 9 feet long, which really restricts me only to my bed.  Is there any type of extensions, taking into account length will decrease effectiveness.  Baxter rep said not available in Japan.

Second drain line, is only about 5 feet enough to go to a 1.5 liter tank which holds my nightly drain.  I know I seen the UTube videos showing the drain lines going into the toilet.  Again Baxter rep. said not available in Japan.

Third question, Low Level Alarm, it always comes on when starting drain cycle which of course wakes me up, I stand up and then it starts to drain and I can lie down again.  Will discuss this further with my doctor and the Baxter rep.  Just wanted to know if any one else was having this issue.

Finally on the drain cycle as it gets towards the end it cause some discomfort in my groin area, another issue to discuss with my doctor.

Mahalo and Aloha for the help.
Komomai :thx;
ualberta2

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 07:01:59 PM »

Hi komomai

1.Here in the USA, you can order an extra box of 12 foot extension line, which will allow you more mobility while you are hooked up. In total, I believe the maximum coverage with the extension is 20 feet. On the label, it does give you a warning that you should not connect more than 1 12 foot extension (over 20 feet).

2. Again, in the USA, you can order 12 foot extension line that goes out to the toilet. I believe you can have as many of this connected together inorder to reach the toilet. Another alternative  here in the US is to order drainage bags (15 L) if you do not want to drain the solution out to the toilet. The only issue I have with this is that end the end of the therapy, you have to lift and drain the bag somewhere. The 15 L bag is very heavy, so you need to be careful lifting and emptying the bag when the therapy is done.

3. Yes, that can happen when you are sleeping and your body is on top of the line and blocking off the line. There is no real solution that I know of for this, but in time, you will get used to this.

4. Yes, I get the dreaded drain pain during the initial drain and the final drain. This is because the initial drain and the final drain will try to suck out as much fluid as possible so that it tries to empty out any fluid left in the peritoneal. I have been on the APD for a while now, and I still get the drain pain. I don't think there is much you can do about it. Some people say it goes away, but it has not happened for me yet.

Thanks
komomai

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 05:04:46 AM »

Aloha Ualberta2, mahalo for the response and advice, now hooked up going on night 4 so far just feel full all the time as I tell my wife looks like my old beer belly with no beer. :beer1;
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 10:24:31 AM »

I'm so sorry to hear that the extensions are not available in Japan.  I use one patient extension and two drain extensions every night.  That way I can move around and also drain into the toilet.  Wonder why Japan doesn't have the extensions.
ardyce

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 01:07:42 PM »

Komomai,

Since you have the Baxter cycler you might need parts number for the extension lines, they are:

This one hooks to the Cassette tap and patient
12 foot Patient Extension Line with EASY-LOCK Connector______5C4480C ______30 for $225.68

This one is the drain line to the bathroom
Sterile Drain Extension Line 12 foot _______5C4464P ________30 for $156.47

I am giving you the part number, see if you can order them by the part number.

The alarm;  just make sure your machine is at the same level as your bed that should take care of the alarm.

The drain pain;  Set your machine to "tidal"
To set tidal.........
example

If you do Cycles #4

Last fill 500

Your fill cycle each is 2000ml.  I have my tidal set at 95%.  If you still have drain pain you can set tidal at 90% or 85%.  Your choice.
If your nightly UF total is 1000ml divide that by your 4 cycles you do a night= 250 but reduce that a bit so you don't have drain pain
Drain should be approximately 1900ml plus 200ml which equals 2100.

If you still have drain pain reduce the 200ml by 50ml
or if you still feel you have extra fluid add 50ml to the 200ml

Or if your total nightly UF is 2000ml divide by 4 cycles you do a night =500 but reduce that a bit to about 450
So Drain should be approximately 1900ml plus 450ml which equals 2350.  Reduce or increase as needed.

Hope some of this makes sense to you

Good luck!

Diagnosed July 2007 CKD
Diagnosed July Breast Cancer
July 2007 Hemodialysis
Changed to CCPD October 2007
Working full time , traveling a bit
Jie

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 08:42:50 PM »

Two types of lines: (1) with 3 prong, the lines are 22 feet long (both patient and drain lines), and (2) with 4 prong, the lines are about 5 feet and extension lines are needed.   
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »