I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 10:29:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  MY gawd did i have a shock yesterday !
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MY gawd did i have a shock yesterday !  (Read 4245 times)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« on: September 24, 2010, 07:30:45 AM »

In the 'little' room , on dialysis when in walks MATRON ! For those of you not in the UK , Matron is the be all and end all of all the nurses, they even tackle doctors! She had come to see me personally ! Not only was i honoured but she is based at another hospital , so double honour! She closed the doors and spent over an hour with me ! What a lovely lady she is. She took everything very seriously and i get the impression she could see i was genuine. Luckily for me i had my original appt in writing , although she didnt ask to see it. I was also able to tell her confidential patient info that 'the nurse' had repeated. There didnt seem to be any issue and she was glad i had brought it to her attention. We then chatted for nearly an hour about what other things can be done to make patients dialysis better. She discussed at great length the issues im having with my dialysis and totally understood why i had to come off early. In fact she has suggested we start a process of elimination to see if we can find a cause , starting with changing my 'artificial kidney' she has been more helpful than my neph and is certainly as knowledgeable ! She told me she would be speaking to the nurse in question as things like this needed stopping straight away. She is on hols next week so said she would come back and see me the week after with an update and if anything like this happens again , go directly to her !  :2thumbsup;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Hazmat35

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 07:36:05 AM »

Good for you!  People don't realize that they need to stand up and speak for themselves!  If you don't, nobody will do it for you! 

Good luck!

Brother Passed away - 1990 - Liver Disease
Diagnosed w/ Polycystic Kidney Disease - 1998
Mother passed away - Feb. 1999 - PKD
Sister passed away - Feb. 2006 - PKD
AV Fistula / Upper Left Arm - September 2009
Father passed away - September 2009
In-Center Hemo Dialysis - April 2010
Broken Knee Cap - January 2015
Diagnosed w/ A-Fib October 2017
Surgery to repair Hiatal Hernia 2018
Multiple Fistula Grams / Angioplasty's since then!

Hating Dialysis since Day 1 and everyday since then!!!!  :)
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 07:58:30 AM »

Finally, things are on the up for you, KS..... Thank God for that!...

Great to find someone who not only empathises with your situation, but is in a position to actually do something about it!...

Onward and upward!!!!......

Love to the pawed people!...

God bless...

Darth....

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 08:10:33 AM »

:beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 08:16:13 AM »

Sounds very positive.

And re the "elimitation" process - it's so simple you'd think that's the sort of thing ANY dialysis nurse, or heck anyone with half a brain, would do.

I wonder what sort of nurses work generally in your unit. Because I'm in a hospital unit down here in oz, ALL the nurses who deal with us are so called "Division 1" which is the most senior, experienced, etc level you can have. Having seen these guys (well OK, 95% female :) ) jump in when someone has gone code blue, or whatever, I am always 150% confident. I've seen so many instances (sadly really) when they've gone from joking around with us and being "normal" to 100% business helping out when it's needed. As I wrote elsewhere a few days ago I have noted it is these guys who manage the day to day dialysis needs of our patients and know way more about the mechanics of it than the doctors do (they get the theory of course, but not the practical). Since these guys are at the coalface every day they KNOW what happens. The docs? not so much.

It soundsa like MATRON (sorry when I read that I just have images of the rather large lady from the "Carry On" movies in my head) is definitely one who has been around the block more than once, but luckily is one who knows what we as patients go through (and hopefully can spot B/S from truth) and get to the bottom of things for you.

Hopefully this will result in a good change for you - specially treatment wise.

My only small concern is that given MATRON is not based at that unit, she's not around and certain people may take real exception to what's happened and take it out on you when MATRON isn't around. I know she said go straight to her - and that's great - but hopefully people can act professionally and not get personal!!! Fingers crossed.

All in all - great development!!! Well done!

:2thumbsup; :yahoo;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 08:52:50 AM »

:2thumbsup;

That's brillo, Kickie!  What a thoroughly lovely lady she sounds. 

MATRON (sorry when I read that I just have images of the rather large lady from the "Carry On" movies in my head)
*chuckles* ... Me too!  I didn't even know we still had Matron's in the UK.

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 12:06:20 PM »

:2thumbsup; So glad someone LISTENED!!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
cloud393

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 01:16:15 PM »

Finally!   :bandance;

May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 01:37:28 PM »

I know how frustrating things have been for you, so I am so glad that you've finally gotten something of a result.  I am so very curious to find out what is at the root of the your dialysis woes.  What's the gameplan?  What is going to be "eliminated" first?

I'm really happy for you, Ricky G.  I so hope you will begin to feel better soon.  You are a very smart, well-informed patient, and I know that you will help your team discover how to make things better for you.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 02:40:52 PM »

:rofl;  I cant stop laughing when i see Ricky G , MM you brighten up my day with that !

Yes we still have Matrons , good job too ! To get this carry on image out of your heads she is slim , blonde hair and very pretty ! Good job RM isnt around !  :2thumbsup;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 02:47:51 PM »

author=KICKSTART link=topic=20299.msg339662#msg339662 date=1285364452

Yes we still have Matrons , good job too ! To get this carry on image out of your heads she is slim , blonde hair and very pretty ! Good job RM isnt around !  :2thumbsup;

Oh, just wait.  He will be!

Edited: Fixed quote tag error - okarol/admin
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 06:37:08 PM by okarol » Logged

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 06:25:21 PM »

lol. strangely I'm more a brunette, or even redhead, sort than bloindes. Only been with about 1 or 2.  :rofl;

Yes, I am surprised they still have the position/title of Matron there. Down here they're all called something like Senior Nursing Co-ordinator or something equally bland. Still the same sorts of people though :)

Carry On!  :rofl;

27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 12:02:49 AM »

Wow, KS, finally some one listened to you. I hope this makes your life at least a little bit better. I am with Richard, I hope the nurses dont retaliate on you. Souunds to me as if they had better not!!!! Keep us posted, I am curious to see what comes next.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
brandi1leigh

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 12:32:44 PM »

Congratulations!

I have a great unit here in the States, so I hate hearing about how bad it can be. I feel a little guilty that I have it so great where I'm at.

Really glad things have the ability to improve!
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 01:06:29 AM »

Congratulations!

I have a great unit here in the States, so I hate hearing about how bad it can be. I feel a little guilty that I have it so great where I'm at.

Really glad things have the ability to improve!

I feel the same way.  My dialysis nurses are a great set of girls, and like Richard, I've seem them go from happy go lucky, joking around to 100% serious business in no time flat.  The girls have come to be like family.  I even have a few of them as facebook friends, and one is a neighbor.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 07:47:39 AM »

definitely family in a community kind of way. I buy mine coffee sometimes, and we chat about life. Like one tells me all about her daughter's adventures interstate, another about trying to get a boyfriend for her daughter (!) still another about taking her son to disneyland etc. And another had a holiday and bought me back a t shirt.

I don't know about facebook though.. somehow that seems like some kind of a line being crossed. You know I am sure there arre rules about that sort of thing.. but then again I'm sure that nurse was not supposed to give me a t shirt, and I shouldn't have burned a dvd for another one. Hey, stuff happens!

Those of us in good units with great staff are truly blessed.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »