I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 04:31:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Its hopeless
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Its hopeless  (Read 12859 times)
Steve-0

« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2010, 03:41:31 PM »

Hey, I know it's tough.  I hated needles before I became a dialysis patient.  Was downright petrified of them - I used to do everything to avoid them.

I had to tell myself, when I started dialysis, "The needles won't kill me.  Not doing dialysis will."

Good luck with everything.

~Steve
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2010, 05:19:09 PM »

Hi Needlephobic....I'm sorry I'm just now reading this thread.  I can SO relate to this. There is a name for your condition, it's called Trypanophobia and I'm one too.   To the same degree, I will kick, run, fight, bite, whatever it takes to get away from the needle.  Even had a phlebotomist file assualt charges against me once.  Though my doctor had left orders to not stick me until I was sedated, this woman said it was "policy" and she had to try.  The next thing I remember is having her up against a wall with my hands around her throat.  And, I'm not a very big person....LOL!  The charges were dropped at the urging of the hospital.  I DO understand the fear.  I am a caregiver to my hubby and we currently do home-hemo with the NxStage.  After about 2 years of using syringes to draw heparin and put it into a line and several months of using his chest catheter, the big moment came in August of this year.  I had to stick him with needles.  He had had a couple of infections that were suspected as related to the chest catheter, so it came out and all we had left was his fistula.  The first few times, my guts were shaking, (so were my hands and knees), I was in a cold sweat and felt like throwing up.  After 2 months, I am able to do it efficiently though I still hate it.  And, now I could even stick myself. 

If you were to handle a syringe with a needle to stick an orange, or some other object several times a day in the privacy of your own home, maybe that would help you get past the fear of just seeing one.  Then maybe a sedative for a few times while you are being stuck would allow you a little relax time to get used to it.   Just a thought for you.

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
Restorer

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2010, 05:31:03 PM »

I am willing to give the hypnotherapist a try who knows it just might work what have i got to loose besides my life about the only thing i got left besides a wonderful woman that has been by my side through all of this.
Try to find a hypnotherapist who deals with phobias and people resistant to hypnosis. There are methods they can use to "confuse" or distract the part of your mind that's resisting.

Also, the idea of sticking an orange is good. When I had to administer my own Procrit at home, I just couldn't stick myself. It took up to an hour of aborted tries and false starts each time, and when I finally started to get it in, I had to go really slowly. I tried it with an orange, and it was easier.

To be fair, I was more afraid of the pain than the needle itself, but it was a vicious circle. If I had been able to go quickly, it wouldn't have hurt. It was still a fear of being stuck.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
needlephobic

« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2010, 06:04:22 PM »

I am willing to give the hypnotherapist a try who knows it just might work what have i got to loose besides my life about the only thing i got left besides a wonderful woman that has been by my side through all of this.
Try to find a hypnotherapist who deals with phobias and people resistant to hypnosis. There are methods they can use to "confuse" or distract the part of your mind that's resisting.

Also, the idea of sticking an orange is good. When I had to administer my own Procrit at home, I just couldn't stick myself. It took up to an hour of aborted tries and false starts each time, and when I finally started to get it in, I had to go really slowly. I tried it with an orange, and it was easier.

To be fair, I was more afraid of the pain than the needle itself, but it was a vicious circle. If I had been able to go quickly, it wouldn't have hurt. It was still a fear of being stuck.

Sticking a orange yeah right I freakout at the sight of a needle :o or when they say shot  :o but will give a hynotherapist a call at least take that step Lord help me  :banghead;
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »