I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 10:34:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Pyelonephritis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pyelonephritis  (Read 2242 times)
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« on: August 22, 2010, 07:08:21 AM »

Hi all

I have just spent a week in hospital with pyelonephritis  :stressed; - I can see that there is a lot of differing opinion on this, and not enough research to be certain - but I am worried that this will effect the long term function of my transplant. I seem to head back to hospital on average about once a year with some kind of infection, and have been in acute renal failure before. It really does create nervous times!

Anyway, 6 days of IV antibiotics have made me feel better, finally, and I have 10 days of oral antibiotics to take at home. I am being followed up this week to double check my renal function, though the creatinine remained stable in hospital (94 - 100 umol/L). And a further urine test has to be done 3 days after the oral antibiotics are finished to ensure no infection has returned.

WARNING to you all, though you should already know this. I was feeling off around 1:00 in the morning, and took my temperature a few times over a half hour period. When it was at 38C I wasted no time in calling the ambulance (I am living alone atm). They took me to my local hospital, who then transferred me via another ambulance to the Royal Adelaide Hospital.

Whilst in the emergency department there, I had a fit of severely extreme rigors and my temperature had risen to 40.5. If this had occurred whilst I was still at home, who knows what might have happened? If I'd passed out, no one would have found me. So, a timely reminder, that if you have a transplant, don't waste ANY time with seemingly small things like this, as it can turn serious very quickly.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 11:55:04 AM »

I had to look it up, wasn't sure what it was. Sounds very risky. Have the ruled out that you've got any blockage in your uretor to the transplanted kidney? Sometimes they will ultrasound to double check.
Unfortunately being on immunos always leaves you open to infection. I am glad you did not ignore the symptoms - an infection unchecked like that could seriously damage your kidney!! Hope you feel better soon.

Definition
Pyelonephritis is an inflammation of the kidney and upper urinary tract that usually results from noncontagious bacterial infection of the bladder (cystitis).
Description
Acute pyelonephritis is most common in adult females but can affect people of either sex and any age. Its onset is usually sudden, with symptoms that often are mistaken as the results of straining the lower back. Pyelonephritis often is complicated by systemic infection. Left untreated or unresolved, it can progress to a chronic condition that lasts for months or years, leading to scarring and possible loss of kidney function.
Causes and symptoms
The most common cause of pyelonephritis is the backward flow (reflux) of infected urine from the bladder to the upper urinary tract. Bacterial infections also may be carried to one or both kidneys through the bloodstream or lymph glands from infection that began in the bladder. Kidney infection sometimes results from urine that becomes stagnant due to obstruction of free urinary flow. A blockage or abnormality of the urinary system, such as those caused by stones, tumors, congenital deformities, or loss of bladder function from nerve disease, increases a person's risk of pyelonephritis. Other risk factors include diabetes mellitus, pregnancy, chronic bladder infections, a history of analgesic abuse, paralysis from spinal cord injury, or tumors. Catheters, tubes, or surgical procedures may also trigger a kidney infection.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 09:44:15 PM »

Hi Karol - yes, I had an ultrasound, and I think I heard them talking about possibly doing another ultrasound after discharge from hospital, though I will have to follow that up as I haven't heard any more about that.

I am also being followed up in the renal outpatient (transplant) clinic on Wednesday, probably with routine bloods/urine tests.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 10:13:33 AM »

Sending good thoughts to you Louise.  Thank you for sharing all you have gone through.  It could help someone else to seek help instead of waiting to see if things get better.   I hope things start improving and you feel better.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 01:03:07 PM »

Good advice from someone with experience. Just one more thing to be on the look-out for.
I hope the doctors can resolve the problem soon so you can feel better.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 03:25:39 AM »

I recovered without any major dramas that I know of. At my followup, one week after discharge from hospital, my creatinine was about 104 umol/L, so still just fine. No more sign of infection on the followup urine test.

However, now I think I might be coming down with a cold. Hopefully nothing, but I HAVE got a temperature again GAH!!! Just keeping an eye on it for the time being, but I have a hospital bag packed just in case! I feel pretty well fine, though, so all should be well. Have taken Panadol, and if the temp reaches 38 degrees C, that is my cut-off point for "no more messing around, get your butt into the hospital" - better safe than sorry, after all.

Of course, going out all last night watching bands, enjoying a couple of brews, and not getting home until lunch time today was probably not the wisest idea, but what's an ageing heavy metal hag like me to do?
 :shy;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »