I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 10:25:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Massive Medicare healthcare fraud scheme uncovered in Miami
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Massive Medicare healthcare fraud scheme uncovered in Miami  (Read 2117 times)
greg10

« on: October 22, 2010, 08:22:28 AM »

Alright, it has nothing to do with dialysis or kidney health, but it is so far the largest single fraud scheme against Medicare at $200 million.

MIAMI, Oct. 21, 2010 (Reuters) — The top two officials of a leading chain of community mental health centers were among four people arrested in Miami on Thursday in connection with a scheme involving about $200 million in fraudulent medical claims, U.S. prosecutors said.

The four conspired to charge Medicare, the federal health insurance plan for the elderly and disabled, for mental health services that were either unnecessary or never provided to patients, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of Florida.

The arrested were: Lawrence Duran, owner of American Therapeutic Corp; Marianella Valera, chief executive officer of the company; and two other senior employees of American Therapeutic. The company is among the nation's largest chain of community mental health centers licensed by Medicare.

They were charged in a 13-count indictment with conspiracy to defraud the United States and to receive healthcare kickbacks and to pay healthcare kickbacks.

The indictment alleges American Therapeutic and its senior employees conspired to bill Medicare for group therapy sessions for patients in assisted-living facilities, many of whom suffered from Alzheimer's disease or other severe dementia.

The assisted-living facilities allegedly received kickbacks for the referrals to American Therapeutic.

The Medicare fraud described in the indictment was even bigger than that of an Armenian-American crime group charged in New York last week with operating phantom healthcare clinics that tried to cheat the federal program out up to $163 million.

U.S. authorities had touted the New York case as "the largest Medicare fraud scheme ever perpetrated by a single criminal enterprise."

Miami and south Florida have long been considered a key region for fraud targeting healthcare programs for seniors because so many elderly Americans retire to live in the area.

(Reporting by Tom Brown, editing by Will Dunham)

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 09:44:51 AM »

Actually, yes, it does affect dialysis...anything to do with Medicare affects dialysis patients.  Thanks for posting this.  This is just despicable behaviour and is stealing to the nth degree.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
ChickenLittle56

Chickenlittle and Maria

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 08:53:06 PM »

This has been going on all over the country even in our small town. A psychiatrist was caught bilking Medicare for $1.4 million.

http://delrionewsherald.com/story.lasso?ewcd=4ae139b48a697dd1

As I was coming out the Nephrologist office, I thought the sky was falling.
Knew I was going on dialysis since November 1999.
Had a fistula put in January 2000.
Been on 4-1/2 hour dialysis since August 28, 2001. (They took out 35Kg that single week)

Maria hasbeen on hemodualysis since January, 2005
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 05:43:18 AM »

String 'em up.

:Kit n Stik;

greg10

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 06:01:59 AM »

Thanks for the url.  That is the same scheme as the massive fraud in Miami, preying on the elderly:
"All of the convictions in the case centered around operations at Synergy Counseling, which was supposed to provide group psychotherapy treatment to elderly patients. The government, however, presented a case that therapy never took place, and what was conducted equated to nothing more than adult day care services."

This has been going on all over the country even in our small town. A psychiatrist was caught bilking Medicare for $1.4 million.

http://delrionewsherald.com/story.lasso?ewcd=4ae139b48a697dd1

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »