I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 09:30:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Phosphate binders
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Phosphate binders  (Read 7021 times)
calypso

« on: November 09, 2010, 08:39:31 AM »

When do you take your phosphate binders? Before or after a meal?

My phosphorous is running a bit high so instead of taking it before meals neph said take all of my phosphate binders after a meal. So when do you take them? And how is your phosphorous level? When I was on PD my phosphorous levels were actually a bit low, now on hemo it's on the high side.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 10:47:06 AM »

Hubbys #'s on HD were just a tiny bit high.  He started on binders and was told to take them before meals or during.  He usually takes before but it seems for the small amount he needed to get it lowered, it's taking 3 pills each meal to have it where it's suppose to be.  Wonder if he should be taking at a different time as well.

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Tracy

Loved the Movie!

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 01:24:24 PM »

I take my during (2 at each meal).  Mine numbers are in the parameters. 

9/1990 Found out I have Type 1 Diabetes
7/2008 Told I have GFR 30
2/2009 Kidney/Pancreas Transplant
5 days later, both removed due to massive rejection
Back on List
2/26/10 Fistula placed
3/11/10 Told GFR 9
5/14/10 Started in center Hemo
Waiting on another Transplant
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 05:55:13 PM »

during for mine. My understanding is you can take them within 30 mins either side of a meal and they will still be reasonably effective, but it is best to have them WITH the food to get the max binding. Only if I get a snack or something and don't have one on me do I try to get one within 30 mins, otherwise I don't bother (too late)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
greg10

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 06:42:25 PM »

Blend the phosphate binder with your food and drink the shake.  This way the binder starts working before you even take a bite :)

But seriously, some people have trouble chewing and swallowing large pills and chalky tablets (calcium or lanthanum carbonate) and blending the carbonate based binder with a shake (protein or juice) is a good way of taking the pills.  These binders are most effective in an acidic environment of the stomach and sometimes an acidic drink such as fruit juice may also help.  The only draw back with blending is that when you chew, your saliva is also a major source of phosphate release.  Therefore drinking without chewing may decrease the effectiveness of the binder - but you can circumvent that problem with chewing gum.  In fact there are phosphate binder chewing gum trials using chitosan as a binder, but that is another story.

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 09:24:14 PM »

Always during a meal...I take 3 daily and crunch them with whatever I'm eating. I can tell they are working because I crap like a Clydesdale...and don't mention breaking wind...I'm trying to be polite here.
(I'm secretly rather proud)
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 01:41:35 AM »

Now I have picked up another problem with this.

The calcium in my binders has caused kidney stones --- now I need to find another one. :waiting;

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
Hazmat35

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 11:00:03 AM »

My numbers are great!  I take mine about 1/2 way through each meal - 2 Tabs per meal. 

Brother Passed away - 1990 - Liver Disease
Diagnosed w/ Polycystic Kidney Disease - 1998
Mother passed away - Feb. 1999 - PKD
Sister passed away - Feb. 2006 - PKD
AV Fistula / Upper Left Arm - September 2009
Father passed away - September 2009
In-Center Hemo Dialysis - April 2010
Broken Knee Cap - January 2015
Diagnosed w/ A-Fib October 2017
Surgery to repair Hiatal Hernia 2018
Multiple Fistula Grams / Angioplasty's since then!

Hating Dialysis since Day 1 and everyday since then!!!!  :)
Desert Dancer

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 12:53:12 PM »

My dietician told me to take my binders at the start of meals, so I usually take a few bites and then take my binders. I take two binders with each meal (which comes out to two binders a day) and so far my phosphorus has gone UP, not down. I may need to up the dose or change the way I take them; I'll see how my next set of labs comes out before I broach the subject with the dietician.

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 07:48:27 PM »

Now I have picked up another problem with this.

The calcium in my binders has caused kidney stones --- now I need to find another one. :waiting;

See if they can get you on a non calcium based binder - the obvious thought is Renagel, but it may not be available in RSA :( Let us know!

27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

murf

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 06:14:11 PM »

Take one caltrate before I eat and twp renagel during the meal. Does work except when I am naughty and forget. That always seems to happen when I go our for a meal. Not deliberate, just keep forgetting to put them in my pocket.

Started Hemodialysis Anzac Day 2005
Patiently waiting for a transplant
Started PD New Year 2010
Taken off transpalnt list, Jan 211
cookie2008

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 07:05:32 PM »

I take mine during meals but they upset my stomach bad.

Started PD in 11/07
Started Hemo in 7/08
Started NxStage 5/09
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 11:19:36 PM »

I usually take them during the meal.. cuz that just happens to be when I'm thinking of it.. If I wait until I"m finished eating, then I"l probably forget.  It also helps with swallowing the foolish things, if I've had a little bit to eat first.  I take 2 calcium carbonate pills and 2 renagel with every meal.

is it just me, or do renegel have the tiniest hint of peppermint to them?

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 02:04:47 AM »

I'd ask the doc why you're on a mix of caltrate AND renagel. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, unless they're using that to up your calcium a bit, but I would have though calcitricol would do for that (that's what I'm on).

btw I was told to chew the caltrate in with my food - that was disgusting! I hated the chalky taste in my mouth - it ruined everything. I was SO glad when they told me I could give that the flick and just take Renagel!

Henry P Snicklesnorter

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 03:50:53 AM »

« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 06:54:32 AM by Henry P Snicklesnorter » Logged
-Lady Noir-

Where's your will to be weird?

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 10:46:55 AM »

Mikes phosphate level used to on the high side, when he took them after his meals. The doctor advised this.
The nutritionist however, said if you crush or chew them and have them after the first few mouthfuls they work more effectively. His bloods showed this was true  ;D

Good luck!

Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free

..Nik..

Fiancee to Mike
Mikes 'history'....
Born September 12 1983
Seizure July 2003 [Unrelated to kidney]
Diagnosed with 'Polycystic Kidney Disease' July 2003 (Wrong diagnosis)
Diagnosed with  IgA Glomerulonephritis April 2004
On active transplant waiting list 2006
Hyperparathyroidism developed gradually
Parathyroidectomy May 2009 (Affected kidney function)
Hospitalized for hyperkalemia June 2009
Catheter inserted June 2009

Started CAPD June 2009
Stared APD September 2009

ABO Incompatible transplant 01 December 2010
Donor = Mikes father Greg
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 02:43:52 PM »

I take my binders before, but just a little bit before.

Mostly I cook my own meals, so I take my binders just when I'm taking the food out of the oven.  It's just a few minutes from then to my sitting down at the dinner table to eat it.
murf

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 03:01:33 PM »

Maybe. because caltrate and renagel work in different ways. Caltrate absorbs phosphorous whilst Renagel woks likes a magnet and attracts phosphorous.

Started Hemodialysis Anzac Day 2005
Patiently waiting for a transplant
Started PD New Year 2010
Taken off transpalnt list, Jan 211
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2010, 01:51:08 PM »

Renegel is a new thing here.  Most of us are on it, if we can afford it, but we've only started it in the last year or so.  The owners of the store my mom works at canceled their insurance last month, so Mom got the prescription refilled early.  I have about a 4 months supply.  After that, I"m done with it cuz we can't afford it.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
calypso

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2010, 02:09:50 PM »

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I was on Renagel for 6 years till switching to hemo last year, switched to Renvela a few months ago. I don't notice any difference. They are made by the same company anyway.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
RenalSurvivorDotCA

10 Year Survivor

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2010, 05:07:15 PM »

Renegel is a new thing here.  Most of us are on it, if we can afford it, but we've only started it in the last year or so.  The owners of the store my mom works at canceled their insurance last month, so Mom got the prescription refilled early.  I have about a 4 months supply.  After that, I"m done with it cuz we can't afford it.

Riki, Does PEI not cover the dialysis drugs? I don't pay a cent for dialysis-related drugs. I thought all the provinces were the same?

Your life IS worth living. Fight for it!
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2010, 05:38:25 PM »

before i started nocturnal i was taking 4 renegel everytime i put anything in my mouth. after starting nocturnal my phos started dropping and for a while i didn't take any binders. then for a few months i took one and now am again not taking any.  the key to any binder is not just meals but any time you eat. if you take binders with dinner and then 3 hours later have pie you need to take more binders.  if you forget when you eat and remember an hour later, forget it it's too late. same with something to drink. example if you have a soda with phos, say a coke in the afternoon, you need your binders.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
casper2636

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 05:42:47 AM »

I'm so shocked that some many people are chewing their binders...I'm looking at my RENVELA bottle right now and on the side as a waring it says "do not chew or crush before swallowing", besides saying that it can cause constipation and/or diarrhea. Did I miss the boat on some better info? :secret;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »