I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 06:25:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Pre-Dialysis
| | |-+  So I have to get a fistula
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So I have to get a fistula  (Read 6334 times)
calypso

« on: January 10, 2010, 08:45:46 PM »

I'll be getting a fistula soon, so what should I expect? They tell me it takes 4-8 weeks to develop. How long am I going to be in pain? Not the whole time it takes to develop right? And how painful is it?

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 09:27:44 PM »

calypso, I had the fistula surgery a couple of months ago. It was a doddle- no pain whatsoever. (Even though I note some of the gang here suffered a bit of post- surgery pain). Absolutely pain free ever since! My surgeon works on a 12 week development basis.

Good luck with yours.

Galvo
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 09:37:58 PM »

Surgery was not painful.  Sore afterwards.  One important thing to remember is to keep exercising it.  I tried to squeeze the little exercise ball at least 600 times a day.  It will help mature the fistula faster.  Also remember that this is your lifeline guard it.  I wear a medic alert bracelet on the other wrist that says NO BP cuff or needle sticks left arm. 
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 09:50:15 PM »

I have a upper arm...... fistual........     surgery was like all others    painfull after wards.....   from the incision...  rather  I have three.....   and  I  ended up with a numb lower arm.........  not a steal problem....    and my lower arm is still numb...... to this day.... I had my fistula many many months ago...... they told me that I could use my fistula after 6 to 8 weeks..... and tried   but it really was not ready.... not fully developed.....   developing is simply healing and allowing it to get a little bigger  ( the vein that is ) to be able to put the needles  in.....  I had many problems with the needles at first but after they kept trying to use it  the vien got bigger and now it is really good to use.... that took another month.....   I have only been doing Dialysis for about three months now...    Not everyone will have the same results......   and more than likely you will do well... and after you start D for a few months be able to use the fistula like everyone else....... good luck to you   and let us know how you do......

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 05:24:04 PM »

I had a wrist fistula placed in June last year. I had an "arm block" anaesthetic which was uncomfortable whilst being administered, but after that I had no pain at all. None during or after the operation. No sorenesss whilst the wound healed either. They gave me some paracetamol to use as the anaesthetic wore off, but I had no need for them.

The worst was the arm block. Took half an hour with them jabbing a needle in my underarm and giving me electric shocks through it to make sure they got it in the right position.

A root canal procedure on a tooth is worse IMO.

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 06:16:39 PM »

I had no pain at all.

My biggest problem was that the first surgeries to put a fistula in my arm failed, and I had to have revision surgery.

You'll be instructed as to how to feel for the "thrill" (buzz) in the fistula--that's the rush of blood through it.  You should do that each day.  If you feel it weakening or stopping, call your physician immediately.
Quickfeet

Mack Potato

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 09:54:32 PM »

Good luck. My surgery was easy. My incision was in my elbow so mine hurt when i bent my arm. Also my left arm below my incision was colder than my right arm and it was weak for two weeks. My fistula clotted shortly after and has for the most part returned to normal. I have a lovely scar to remember it by  :2thumbsup;.
jennyc

First day of school 08'

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 05:24:13 AM »

Mine is at my wrist, i had to have a revision about a week or so after the initial operation as i have small veins and it clagged. The first operation there was hardly any pain, took paracetamol once i was out of recovery. Lots of bruising though cause i'm only small. The 2nd one they opened up at the same spot  and it hurt a bit more till the next day (took some cool pain killers to sleep that night but ok by the next day) i was knocked out for both and stayed overnight for both.

I have numbness but it's common and may or may not go away (they cut through the nerves to join the artery) but it's only a small area, it's normal.

Nothing really bad. I have a narrowing now so having a plasty done to increase it. (as i said REALLY SMALL VEINS) it's also on my left so it's amazing they got a viable fistula at all considering the amount of damage they did to it in ICU doing blood gasses etc when i had acute failure, but the neph i went under first stopped that within a week so obviously it was fine).

It was done Oct 09, had it not been for the narrowing i would have been using it in december.

2003 January - acute renal failure
        March/April - Started PD
2009 October - PD failing, First fistula put in.

Cadaveric Transplant 27/1/2010
Maker

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 07:50:21 AM »

I got my fistula in November (wrist) and my surgeon won't even consider approving it to be used for 3 months! 

I had a lot of bruising and a pain/bleeding in the days following surgery, so I was told not to use my arm/hand for a week to let it heal and so it wouldn't bleed.  I don't think this is normal, I'm a bit of a bleeder anyway  ;)

Good luck to you!!

- Lori

33 years old
Diagnosed February 2007
Started In-Center Hemo October 2009
Trying to qualify for a living donor transplant

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"  Philippians 4:13
hurlock1

THIS MEMBER IS BANNED FROM IHD

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 12:44:55 PM »

I got my fistula and my catheter within a couple of days of each other. The catheter hurt so much that I don't recall the fistula hurting.
jmz
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 05:00:33 PM »

I had a graft placement in august. Sore a bit but nothing tylenol couldn't fix. It clotted off last weekend and the soreness from that was even less then the placement.
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »