I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2024, 10:26:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  What would you do?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 1635 times)
pdpatty

« on: September 06, 2010, 08:28:29 AM »

My chair is in an area with 3 other patients. That's not the problem.
A woman in the area behind my chair has her tv on full blast. The woman to the right of me won't use earphones eiher,so today all I heard was the Jerry Lewis teleathon real time and sort of delayed. This was above my own tv but I have always used earphones.

I came out chewing my teeth. It is driving me bonkers. I do not want to be moved as I have a thing about being out in open. I like it in the cornor against the wall.

My tech said he would take care of it,think the noise was getting to him also. With machines going off and the tvs ,I felt like screaming.

What would you do?
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 08:40:49 AM »

We dont get a choice at our unit ..you want the tv on ..you wear headphones !  I would go on and on till something was done ,or ask the patients directly to wear them!

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
pdpatty

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 09:23:50 AM »

I was told on my first day I had to have them and I have worn them evry dialysis day but guess there are some who are not considerate or who thik that center is just for them.

He 40 year old son was so obnoxious that they kicked him out and told him not to come back.
romanyscarlett

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 09:38:23 AM »

You have my sympathy because I know how irritating this kind of thing is. I usually have treatment on the twilight shift but I was asked to move to the early morning slot one day and the whole time I was there an old lady insisted on listening to music without headphones. It wouldn't have been so bad if she'd had a personal radio next to her but she was actually using the unit radio that the nurses put on at the end of the night after we've all been sent home so they can listen to music while they clean up. It drove me mad the entire time I was there as the music was not to my taste at all and to make things worse, she slept through most of her treatment so there was no need for the radio to even be on.

I was fuming mad at the end of my shift and I was considering complaining but, either by chance or perhaps because she sensed my anger, one of the nurses thanked me for being so understanding about the music because it really helped the old lady get through the treatment. She had something wrong with her ears which means she can't use headphones and she gets very depressed if she has to sit there in silence. After I heard that I felt awful for being so angry with her. Maybe the person at your unit has similar issues and can't use headphones? Could you perhaps come to a compromise where they turn their tv down a bit?

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 10:31:12 AM »

Do you have a remote control?  Can you tune it into her telly and turn the volume down?  Maybe one of the techs will help you ... >:D (I accidentally turned off the telly of the chap next to Blokey the last time I went to dialysis with him, because I forgot to cover the remote so it didn't affect anyone else - thankfully he was asleep.)

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
pdpatty

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 12:38:56 PM »

Our tvs have touch controlls. If they can't force her to use earphones I'll have to break one of their rules and get me a pair that will cover BOTH ears (like earmuffs).  We are supposed to use only one ear so we can hear ,in case of an emergency.

I don't want to change times or days,I like everyone there . Maybe the tech will be able to do something. The nurses and especially the Doctor really respect him.

I don't think there is anything wrong with her ears. A few weeks ago another tech TOOK her earphones and she used them once but never again.

Today was the straw that broke the camels back,I cannot take it any more.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 12:42:04 PM »

I would keep talking to the tech and the unit head if necessary.  It really is up to them to enforce the rules and no one on dialysis needs any extra aggravation...we have our full share already tripled.  Best of luck.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
greg10

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 12:57:07 PM »

I find that the in-ear headphone cuts down on the outside noise.  Dangerous for use while jogging, but useful in situations such as yours; not a perfect solution but hopefully more bearable, sorry.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-EX71SL-Fontopia-Headphones-Black/dp/B000092YQW

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »