I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 03:23:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Food is BLAND!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Food is BLAND!  (Read 7828 times)
cabarle

« on: November 07, 2005, 08:57:44 PM »

Ok everyone,

I realize there are hundreds of cookbooks out there for the dialysis patients, but I have to say everything I tried taste bland. The only thing that I find that adds flavor to anything is Miracle Whip (light). Next to dialysis, the diet really sucks. I miss eating "normal" food, bar-b-q sauce, milk, Mcdonald's, etc. Don't get me wrong: I've cheated a couple of times since I started dialysis. However, I do find the "homemade french fries" appealing.

I also found a free cookbook: https://www.fosrenol.com/Consumers/Resources/CookBooks.aspx

It had some good receipes in it. Does anyone know of any other FREE cookbooks for us dialysis patients?

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 09:16:04 PM »

I know a lot of people don't like DaVita, but they do have a good website.  It has cooking receips.  www.davita.com

What I hate is the quanity of the receips:  Serves 6 or Serves 13.........  I want one that serves 2 so I only have to eat leftovers once or twice. 

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 09:47:47 PM »

I know a lot of people don't like DaVita, but they do have a good website.  It has cooking receips.  www.davita.com

What I hate is the quanity of the receips:  Serves 6 or Serves 13.........  I want one that serves 2 so I only have to eat leftovers once or twice. 

:o Who doesn't like Davita?  :o The Hell you say!

;)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 09:59:24 PM by Epoman » Logged

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 09:58:55 PM »

Ok everyone,

I realize there are hundreds of cookbooks out there for the dialysis patients, but I have to say everything I tried taste bland. The only thing that I find that adds flavor to anything is Miracle Whip (light). Next to dialysis, the diet really sucks. I miss eating "normal" food, bar-b-q sauce, milk, Mcdonald's, etc. Don't get me wrong: I've cheated a couple of times since I started dialysis. However, I do find the "homemade french fries" appealing.

I also found a free cookbook: https://www.fosrenol.com/Consumers/Resources/CookBooks.aspx

It had some good receipes in it. Does anyone know of any other FREE cookbooks for us dialysis patients?

You know I have been on dialysis for over 11 years and I have NEVER followed a renal cookbook. Infact just last week I had BBQ Tri Tip, Carne Asada and a beer, man was it good.

The main thing to remember it to take those Binders with you where ever you go and eat a lot of them. For example I eat 5 800mg tablets of Renagel with each meal, sometimes 6. If I go 7 or 8 my stomach will cramp. The main things to watch out for is Phosphorus and Potassium as long as you eat in moderation (don't PIG out) and take your binders you'll be fine. Oh and of course watch your fluid intake, click the link below to read the thread with me replying about fluid restriction.

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=173.0

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 06:31:49 AM »

5 or 6 Renagels?  GEEZ!  I am just taking 1.  I guess I didn't know you could take more.  What exactly does Renagel do?  It binds the Phosphorous?  Binds it to what?  How does that work?  ???

cabarle

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 07:11:18 PM »

You know I have been on dialysis for over 11 years and I have NEVER followed a renal cookbook. Infact just last week I had BBQ Tri Tip, Carne Asada and a beer, man was it good.

The main thing to remember it to take those Binders with you where ever you go and eat a lot of them. For example I eat 5 800mg tablets of Renagel with each meal, sometimes 6. If I go 7 or 8 my stomach will cramp. The main things to watch out for is Phosphorus and Potassium as long as you eat in moderation (don't PIG out) and take your binders you'll be fine. Oh and of course watch your fluid intake, click the link below to read the thread with me replying about fluid restriction.

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=173.0

I haven't been taking my binders. I ate some fried chicken today from "Simons" in Brecksville, OH. I ate 12 pieces today; they were the little pieces. It was so salty, but, it was so good. I promise from this day forth, I will take my binders.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 01:12:02 AM by Epoman » Logged
LifeOnHold

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 06:22:36 AM »

Rerun, the phosphate binders bind the phosphorus you eat to the medication and it's passed out of you as solid waste, instead of going into your bloodstream.   (So you WILL be going to the bathroom more than usual-- it's the only way you can get rid of excess phosphorus now that your kidneys don't excrete it.)

If you don't take binders, the excess phosphorus builds up in your blood and starts affecting your blood calcium levels-- it makes your body hoard phosphorus and waste calcium.  When blood calcium levels drop, it affects your heart function and can lead to calcium deposits in your arteries and other soft tissues.  I have calcified arteries all over my body, including my mitral vlve, because I was extremely non-compliant in taking my binders-- and the damage this did was PERMANENT!   :o    So learn from me-- TAKE the binders!

Still Kicking Deaths Ass
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2005, 11:33:50 PM »

LOH, thank you for the advice.  I will take my binders and just shit to my life's content~   ;D

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 01:39:46 AM »

LOH, thank you for the advice.  I will take my binders and just shit to my life's content~   ;D

Well if you plan on taking alot of binders you better ask for some stool softeners.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2005, 06:39:44 PM »

No kidding!   :o   Geez I hadn’t gone for like 3 days and then I was driving and it hit me!  OH MY GOD!  I have GOT to find a bathroom!!  I was speeding and praying to GOD that I didn't get pulled over!!  I thought about pulling over and running into the weeds!  I was going to stop at this restaurant, but thought they might call security when this MAD woman came running into the restaurant bolting for the bathroom!   ::)   I decided to drive to my office which is a Federal Building and it was Sunday so no one was there!  I sure hope it smells better in there by tomorrow morning!  I hope they didn’t get that on camera!!

(I know…… I don’t need to share everything do I)  ;D ;)

LifeOnHold

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2005, 07:43:48 PM »

Taking a dump in the Federal Building... isn't that redundant?     ;D

Still Kicking Deaths Ass
susie q

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2005, 08:55:19 AM »

I take Tums for my binder.. always "regular".. no problems.. only time I need softeners is when I take Tylenol 2 or 3.. whew.. they kill me..
I eat macdonalds and some other stuff but no french fries, potatoes, or bananas or chocolate..
what i really miss is fluids... I DREAM about drinking stuff...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »