I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 09:34:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Chest Catheter and Exercise
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chest Catheter and Exercise  (Read 8170 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« on: August 24, 2010, 04:57:17 PM »

I have a question. How much exercise can I do with this catheter in my chest? Nephrologist says anything I want.  I think not.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
carson

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 05:04:04 PM »

I work out 4-5 times/week. I do weights (and I don't mean little girly weights either)and cardio, as well as some classes. I'd like to try yoga but I'm not flexible at all! The only thing I don't do is swim and I guess there's a pretty good reason for that otherwise I would! I ride my bike, walk my dog, ride my horse and if I had someone to play tennis with I'd try that too.
I find the secret is to let the line move with you. If you tape it or bandage it too tight it'll just hurt!

2009 infection treated with Vancomycin and had permacath replaced
2009 septic infection that wouldn't go away
2007 began Nocturnal Home Hemo with Permacath
1997 began Peritoneal Dialysis
1982 had cadaver transplant
1981 diagnosed with GN2 and began Peritoneal Dialysis
edersham

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 06:29:43 PM »

kitkatz,

I had a catheter for 2 1/2 months before tansplant. I love to play golf but at first I knew I coudn't play golf because the thing was kind of loose inside.  By the tine I got the transplant it felt firm enough that I think I could have and three weeks later when they took it out and I saw how much scar tissue they had to cut to get the thing out I know I could have.

Ed
Restorer

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 08:46:15 PM »

If I do too much, especially involving reaching up or around with my right arm (catheter's on my right side), I find that my collarbone gets sore where the tube passes over it. Reaching way up with my right arm can be uncomfortable sometimes, but not as much as when I still had the stitches in. Otherwise, I haven't had any problem with any other activities, but I haven't done anything strenuous.

One thing I'd be concerned about is too much sweating, in case it affects the dressing.

I do have to wear a shirt in bed sometimes, because the cat likes to lie on my chest on the catheter side. :D

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 07:52:55 AM »

As long as you do not do anything that puts excessive risk at pulling it out and the cath doesn't irritate your heart when you exercise, most things should be ok in moderation.

Trikkechickk

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 01:34:35 PM »

When I had the neck catheter I continued w/weights (no girlie stuff either), cardio, power walking, bike, hike with no problems.  I did tape the dangling things to my chest so they wouldn't bounce around.

By the time I had the nasty thing removed, I had built up so much scar tissue (like saying - my body really grew attached to the thing) I needed lidocaine as it would not slip out w/out removing the scar tissue either.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 02:20:35 PM »

You want to exercise?  :o Gawd i can hardly drag myself around  :rofl; I wish you lot would stop talking about having caths taken out ..mines been in for 12 months ! Mind you i did have a PD cath in for 6 years , so i should imagine its pretty much the same when it comes out ...half my body stuck to it  :puke;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 03:46:13 PM »

:puke;  :puke;  :puke;  :puke;

I'm glad I've got a fistula.

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
staceyand joe92

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 10:42:48 PM »

I was very active when I had my catheter. I took exercise classes and lifted weights. I walked on the treadmill. I use to be so worried about everyone seeing the catheter but after awhile it didn't seem to matter anymore.  I am a medical assistant so the dialysis center had no problem with me changing my dressing at home after I worked out. I agree with Carson that it is better not to tape it down or bandage it. The only thing the doc warned me about was getting it wet in the shower,tub or swimming. I am so thankful I stayed active while waiting for my transplant. I think it made a HUGE difference in my recovery time.

PKD
in center dialysis 3/week 3 hours for 16 months
11/2008 transplant list (active)
6 living donors denied
12/2009 Kidney Transplant
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 09:01:02 AM »

Any chance to say "NO" to exercise I take.  So ..... NO!

:thumbup;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »