I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 11:26:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  raising farm animal
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: raising farm animal  (Read 3101 times)
ChickenLittle56

Chickenlittle and Maria

« on: June 25, 2010, 04:14:55 PM »

I have a question on caring for farm animals. When I moved from Chicago to Texas I got into raising chickens. My parents had about 35 chickens when I came and now we are up to 100+. What I wanted to know is there any dangers to being around chickens or any other livestock(we also have 35 goats and 2 donkeys). So I am constantly around maure and other nasty stuff. When I come in from outside I wash my hand with antiseptic soap. The question is is there a greater possibility of infection while handliing my pets(if my hens aren't producing well they might end up on the dinner table  :sos;  :)
I know if I get lucky and get kidney I will have to stop, that will sadden me quite bit.

As I was coming out the Nephrologist office, I thought the sky was falling.
Knew I was going on dialysis since November 1999.
Had a fistula put in January 2000.
Been on 4-1/2 hour dialysis since August 28, 2001. (They took out 35Kg that single week)

Maria hasbeen on hemodualysis since January, 2005
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 04:59:36 PM »

After transplant yes.  You will then be on drugs that lower your immune system.  The only ones I was warned about were cats and birds which I would think included chickens.  We raised chickens when I was a kid and they are nasty.

Ask your transplant team.

Prior to your transplant I haven't heard of anything.  Like you said, you wash your hands with good soap.

ChickenLittle56

Chickenlittle and Maria

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 12:31:17 AM »

Yeah, you are right that they are nasty but I do love them all. I love all the fresh eggs that my girls gives. I even sell some of my excess to the techs at the clinic. That's what I was worried about if I get a transplant. Even though I lived in Chicago I enjoyed coming to Texas during vacation time.

Been on 4-1/2 hour dialysis since August 28, 2001. (They took out 35Kg that single week)

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 09:42:25 AM »

Well, ask your transplant team, maybe if you wear those latex disposable gloves (maybe take some from the clinic) you would be okay to feed them pick them up and get their eggs.  Doesn't hurt to ask? 

:beer1;

Des
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 03:09:09 AM »

You'll have to wear a mask as well....... I would think.

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
Aubrey

I say, you fellows!

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 09:37:45 AM »

I really can't think of chickens as nasty. Not that I've known any. But, come on! They're only behaving according to their nature. They don't have a choice.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 10:22:01 PM »

ok ok.....i gotta step in here on behalf of chickens  :cheer: ... I have chickens and they are far from nasty. Ok, i only have eight beautiful girls who are kept super clean with feathers of silk and beautiful clean healthy organic freerange eggs  :yahoo;  (can ya tell i LOVE my chickens  ;D )  But.........on another note, you do need to stay away from lots of things after anysurgury, and im sure that your beloved chickens will be part of that..  So take heed to what your instructed, and soon enough, you'll be able to enjoy once again your little feathered friends...  and yes.................I LOVE CHICKENS  ;)

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
ChickenLittle56

Chickenlittle and Maria

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 09:47:48 AM »

I think I will start being hygienic by wearing rubber gloves when I go clean their chicken shack although I do wash my hand  :shy;in antiseptic soap. I named my leghorn rooster Foghorn, my huge Rock rooster Fred and my oldest hen Pressy. Both Foghorn and Pressy got their names from the Looney Tune cartoons. Fred name came from my best friends name Chef Fred who passed away February '07 from heart complications. I met him at the dialysis clinic. He was having problems with his  country club deliveries. Ahhh, those were the days. The cc's really know how to cook food(no wonder why I would come in overloaded).   :shy;
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 10:06:17 AM by Epofriend » Logged

ChickenLittle56

Chickenlittle and Maria

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 10:19:21 AM »

oops, the name of my hen is Prissy.  :Kit n Stik;

carson

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 10:28:16 AM »

I can't say much about chickens (though I once boarded in a barn with some who would attack me whenever I got out of my car!! Good thing for tall riding boots!) Anyway, I still have my horse and clean him and his stall daily. I always wear barn assigned clothing which I immediately remove when I come home, as well as wash up really good! I make sure my line is covered as well, just so I don't get dirt, hair, shaving dust in there!!
I would suggest maybe getting a pair or 2 of coveralls for chicken handling etc. That way, you can just remove them before cleaning up, and what's underneath should be okay.
 :rant;Anyway, I'm a vegetarian and I hate the thought of you killing your birds! Kinda like racehorse, just 'cause they can't keep up they kill them. Nice way to be treated after working hard for your people. Sorry... ::)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 10:30:13 AM by carson » Logged

2009 infection treated with Vancomycin and had permacath replaced
2009 septic infection that wouldn't go away
2007 began Nocturnal Home Hemo with Permacath
1997 began Peritoneal Dialysis
1982 had cadaver transplant
1981 diagnosed with GN2 and began Peritoneal Dialysis
Aubrey

I say, you fellows!

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 03:26:31 AM »

I really can't think of chickens as nasty. Not that I've known any. But, come on! They're only behaving according to their nature. They don't have a choice.

And - what I should have said at the time - if chickens are nasty to humans then they have every right to be, considering what humans do to them. If you get a chicken who doesn't know, then you should keep bloody quiet about it.

Oh, Chickenlittle - Foghorn Leghorn is my favourite cartoon character!!!
Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 04:45:54 PM »

CATS!!!  Did I just read that someone thought you couldn't have cats after transplant?!?!  OMG!  I have 5 cats that I love dearly and I am fully expecting to get a transplant in the next few months and to keep all 5 cats afterwards.  I am more worried about keeping the germs from my students at bay than I am about my cats!  I won't be cleaning kitty litter....  Is that the problem with cats after tansplant or is it something else I should be concerned about???

Preemptive transplant recipient, living donor (brother)- March 2011
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 05:05:32 PM »

Yeah, kitty litter is something you shouldn't handle, because you can breathe in parasites from their poop, but you can get that from any animal.  I have never given up my pets after transplant.  They are members of the family, and it's not fair to them.  They don't know that their poop can hurt you

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Aubrey

I say, you fellows!

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 09:54:31 AM »

Not fair on them - not fair on me, either.

(I'm sitting on a hard chair now because Aubrey the Cat has annexed the good one.
*kana*

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 08:52:32 PM »

I would be careful around chicken poop.  Not sure if this is true with chickens like other birds but their poop dries and gets moldy and it enters the air you breathe.  You can get a nasty infection.

I volunteer at a wild animal rescue and I basically told my neph that I wasn't going to stop doing it and for him to tell me how to protect myself.  He basically told me that I shouldn't be around birds without wearing a mask and to wear a gown when I handle the animals. And wash, wash wash and no hand to mouth.  I guess our immune system isn't that abnormal as long as we are getting proper dialysis. 

After transplant.....no chickens

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 09:10:28 AM »

I am going to apologize right off the bat for being off-topic a bit, BUT

everytime I see the title to this post, it makes me chuckle.

My husband, when someone (an adult) would mumble, and he couldn't hear what they said, would sometimes say. 'You do WHAT to small farm animals?!"  Usually people would laugh.....(and speak clearly)

:shy;

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
ChickenLittle56

Chickenlittle and Maria

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 02:28:42 AM »

On July 4th we had an famiily reunion. Day before the picnic my dad said he was going down to our ranch to get a goat for the picnic. The next day at the picnic they cooled up the goat on the smoker. When it was done I went to get some of the meat. It was delicious and tender. I ate quite a bit that day. Well on tuesday I went to the feed store to pick up some  feed and a bale of hay for a male goat that I raised for several months. When I took everything to get it stored away I passed the corral where I kept the goat I noticed it was missing and started looking for it. Thinking to my self that the goat got out and start looking around. When I couldn't find it I went back to putting the feed away. Well anyways I finished and went into the house to ask if he had seen him. He told me he knew where he was at, at the picnic,  :shy; I looked down to the floor and after a few long second I looked at him and said He sure did taste good :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; I told him that next time I go to the ranch I am getting a female goat, at least you don't eat females goats :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 09:09:53 PM »

Eating him was probably the right thing to do ChickenL.

When male goats reach puberty, they stink to high heaven. They get aggressive too. If you touch them, you get the stink on your hands and you can't get it off with soap & water. You have to use detergent.

I know this from experience. A long time ago I kept a (male) goat as a green lawnmower. He was very good at that task. But he matured and changed from a froliking kid to a filthy old goat. He had disgusting habits associated with the erections he frequently got. He was also magnificently endowed; people used to say "Is it a billy or a nanny?". We called in the vet to sort him out. After that, throughout the remainder of his life, he avoided anyone wearing white.

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
ChickenLittle56

Chickenlittle and Maria

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 01:10:58 AM »

You are so correct Stoday, they are stinking anlmalsand its probably the last animal I would touch with a transplant. We have the males hear in the back lot so they wouldn't mate with the younger females. We have two or three other male goats on the ranch, when a male goat gets to age he gets sold. They are popular to eat. We have the other males mating with  the females  Its that when you raise a goat from a kid it is kind of hard. When my dad told me it took me a second or two to get over it. But like I said in the other post he sure was delicious.  :thumbup;

Aubrey, Foghorn Leghorn is my favorite Looney Tunes cartoons, I can't stop laughing when I am watching him.

Glitter, I have to used that next time I'm with freinds. :2thumbsup; :2thumbsup;

Carson, even though I am not a vegetatian I couldn't think of killing my birds. My dad well thats a different story.  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »