I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 05:23:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  11 year old Jack Russell has Renal Failure
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 11 year old Jack Russell has Renal Failure  (Read 7595 times)
Dianejt

« on: August 24, 2010, 03:00:50 PM »

I just got back from bringing "Jelly" to the vets. She has been losing weight lately and has been not feeling well. I thought it was because of everything going on here at home with Frank being in the hospital for a month, nurses coming in to help out. So they checked her over, ran blood test & yup she's in idney failure. How weird is that??? Is it catchy?

I need to change her diet to a renal diet. Also every other day she needs fluid put under her skin (10 mill).  This is doggy dialysis.

The vet did say at this point they do consider putting her down. ( We do this for dogs but not for humans, but that's another thread). I want to try seeing if we can treat her with this new plan.

Not only am I losing my husband but also our dog at the same time to the same disease, well kinda. What's next?

caregiver to husband Frank

bladder cancer 1994
renal failure April 2009 due to blocked right ureter. Left kidney 20% function
November 18 2009 surgery to remove right ureter.
April 3, 2010 removal bladder, prostrate, left kidney.
June 11, 2010 started Hemo @ hospital
July 2, 2010 Embolized right Kidney due to hemoraging of tumor
September 11, 2010 RIP my love
edersham

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 06:20:18 PM »

Dianejt,

Two years ago our beloved yellow lab died of kidney failure at 13. Shortly thereafter after mourning for 2 months about the lab our 11 year old border collie
developed diabetes and went blind. Being a border collie she handled it really well and learned to count the steps to everything in the house  and outside. I went into kidney failure the next spring and she started kidney failure this January when I started dialysis. I got a transplant at the Mayo Clinic in March and she had to be put down while I was still at Mayo for aftercare. My wife and I definitely understand how you feel and hope for the best for your husband, your dog and you.

Ed
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 08:24:03 PM »

Gee, I'm so sorry. 
It's bad enough when one family member gets kidney failure, but when it's more than one....

We don't talk much about pet dialysis here, even though it's becoming more commonplace.

What you're describing sounds like pet diuresis, not true hemodialysis.  In diuresis, they place extra fluid into the animal's body to help flush out more waste.  But that isn't as good as mechanical hemodialysis.

But a few large animal hospitals will do true hemodialysis for pets too.  It's not cheap.  But perhaps you could look into it before making the decision to end your pet's life.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1749&S=2

Incidentally, a very few large animal hospitals have now begun a kidney transplant program for pet cats too.

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 09:48:22 PM »

oh that is so tough.

Earlier this year I took my cat in for her regular vet check up and flu shots. Everything went purringly until the vet said "You know her heart rate is awfully high...." and took some blood. He took the blood and and came back and said well some indications are there of kidney failure - you know what that is don't you? (my sister and I just looked at eachother and kind of laugh/sighed). I felt like being a smart arse and asking if her kitty creatinine was up or something, but decided not to. Anyway they took her away to get some urine to confirm what was going on.

And I just thought to myself. No, I couldn't handle that. My sweet supportive best furry friend... kidney failure?! I thought I could not bear for her to go through anything remotely like I've had to. I definitely considered discussing putting her to sleep.

Well they came back and told me her urine was fine and there was supposedly nothing to worry about - at least for now. (And the psychic later claimed I healed her?!?!?!)

Anyway this is somewhat close to my heart... but I know I wouldn't want my little one to suffer at all. It would be such a difficult decision.

All i can say is that I hope Jelly will do OK and *YOU* can do OK with looking after her.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 10:10:28 PM »

My 16 year old kitty, Sam, also died of kidney failure. As cats often do when they are sick, he hid. We knew he was in the house, and looked everywhere for 2 days. Finally, we found him under our waterbed. I say waterbed, because that is why we couldnt look under there, but there was a crack in the back he went in there. By the time we got him out, itwas way too late and we took him to the vet to have him put down. I had that little guy since he was 4 weeks old, and truly, I would rather have torn my heart out than lose him. At the last moment, he put one paw on my shoulder and laid his head against my neck. It was just heart wrenching, and no doubt, he was suffering. I am so glad you found your pets illness sooner than I did, and hopefully, this treatment will help him live a little longer. Of course, if he apppears to be suffering, you will have to think of another course of action. Good luck to you all.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 12:17:48 AM »

Jean reading about your Sam made me cry. How sad yet so very sweet. I am sure when he put his paw on your shoulder and head there he was trying to tell you it was OK and he knew you loved him. I am totally convinced cats *know* (and well I'm not a dog person, but I would say the same for them too) and they communicate in their own way. Sometimes the way my own cat acts I'd swear she was telling me important things (no not just "feed me" or "rub me").

RIP Sam.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Dianejt

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 03:33:10 AM »

What you're describing sounds like pet diuresis, not true hemodialysis.  In diuresis, they place extra fluid into the animal's body to help flush out more waste.  But that isn't as good as mechanical hemodialysis.

But a few large animal hospitals will do true hemodialysis for pets too.  It's not cheap.  But perhaps you could look into it before making the decision to end your pet's life.

You are right RightSide this is what the vet called it. Unfortunatly I could not afford that treatments for Jelly. I will try & see how she does with this treatment. The vet did say at this point with her bloodwork numbers they would consider putting her down. I just looked at her & said  with tears in my eyes," my husband is suffering so much and we wouldn't put our pets through all this why can't we do the same for humans". I realize it is not the same thing. Jelly is part of our lives, we have had her since she was 6 weeks old. Our Grandson & her where "Puppies" together (birthdates 1 week apart).
We would catch Jelly sleeping in the crib with Nathan. (Jack Russells are known for the ability to jump vertically 4+ feet)

caregiver to husband Frank

bladder cancer 1994
renal failure April 2009 due to blocked right ureter. Left kidney 20% function
November 18 2009 surgery to remove right ureter.
April 3, 2010 removal bladder, prostrate, left kidney.
June 11, 2010 started Hemo @ hospital
July 2, 2010 Embolized right Kidney due to hemoraging of tumor
September 11, 2010 RIP my love
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 08:55:01 AM »

Several years ago i lost a lovely little dog to kidney failure. I had her from a puppy and she lived to be 18 ! . I also lost my german shepherd to demetia a couple of years ago , that was heartbreaking because he couldnt tell me how he felt and i couldnt explain to him the strange things he was doing, like trying to walk through walls.

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 01:53:43 PM »

KS, that is the worst part when they are confused and or suffering and no matter how you try, you cant explain it to them.
Richard, thanks for the sympathies. Sam is gone now, 15 months, and only when we got our new little guy Simon, did I stop llooking for my furry buddy. REally miss him at nap time. He would curl up behind my legs for every nap. Gosh.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 06:39:57 AM »

That's the thing with animals. They're like little people. You can't replace them when they die.  You can get another one, but they're not the same.

If the vet told me that my Reese was sick and had to be put down, I don't think I could be there when it was done.  My Reddevil died in my bro's arms.  They were rushing to the vet with him, but they just weren't fast enough.  We knew he was sick, but didn't realize how sick he was.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »